Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 10th September 2014

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts
E-M1 firmware upgrade on Sept 15th

The rumours of the firmware upgrade seem to be hardening up, with a date of Sept 15th looking likely. I spotted this on dailycameranews concerning the contents:
The new E-M1 firmware will be big but latest updates says there will be no 4K video recording coming. Other features expected are as follows.

- Olympus Capture: software tethering, you can do almost anything from your PC.
- 2 new art filters : vintage and partial color
- Faster EVF response 16ms (improved from 29ms)
- Total 16 improvements
- Keystone feature
That all sounds nice! I can live without the "Art" filters, but the other stuff all sounds like useful upgrades.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (10th September 2014)
Old 10th September 2014

Liked 3,041 Times in 875 Posts
Re: E-M1 firmware upgrade on Sept 15th

Thanks Paul. It is good to know that it sounds as if they are still supporting and developing the E-M1. I have never even looked at the art filters on my camera. I suppose they are in there somewhere.

Ron
Old 10th September 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

PC programmable "MyMode" would be great. After all, if you can change most of the settings from an iPhone, then why not have just one more button to click on.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th September 2014

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

I think the E-M1 is still very much Oly's flagship camera and I can't see them replacing it in a hurry - it's only a year or less since launch isn't it? The updated EVF refresh rate will be good news for action shooters whilst the tethering should please the studio types; and the keystone preview will be welcomed by architecture photographers. So, a bit of something for everyone! (except maybe the landscape/travel guys like me who'd like to see Live Composite mode and a full electronic shutter )
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 10th September 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

For me the ability to load and save settings from a card - and copy between cameras would be huge
The Following User Says Thank You to timd1230 For This Useful Post:
Wee man (11th September 2014)
Graham_of_Rainham (11th September 2014)
Old 11th September 2014

Liked 102 Times in 60 Posts

The 2 new filters are on the image share app already.
Old 11th September 2014
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Art filters and the previously touted video improvements, if they exist, are of no interest to me at all.

The EVF rate sounds good but I'll be especially fascinated to see what the "16 improvements" are as that could be where the meat is for those of us who shoot RAW and like control via AP or man modes. The tethering sounds fun although I've started to use the new version of OIS on a tablet for that and find it very good so not sure if it will help me much but confirmed studio/laptop types will find it good I'm sure.

I still hope for but do not expect my often asked for "hyperfocal mode". This is something which I see as a firmware release and is in two parts in my mind. First a visible, using a focus peaking variation, display of whats in focus along with numbers showing near/far focus points. That is almost there in that I use MF and focus peaking already. The biggy is my request to have an assignable, to a button, function which sets the focus to the hyper focus point for the lens/aperture/focal length in use. For landscapers in particular how cool would that be. Of course I would also like the numbers on display for near/far and actual focus distance. I know we can use the rule of thumb of 1/3 distance and/or an app on your smart phone but I've always wondered why it's not there as it seems to be purely firmware to me along with the stuff that's already there anyway. It's just one of those usability things which would be a real help along with things we already have like the level display.

I won't get it of course but one day you never know.

In the meantime we will get what we get or some such silly comment.

Hec
Old 11th September 2014

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
I still hope for but do not expect my often asked for "hyperfocal mode".
<snip>
You never know, Hec. I've been whingeing about the viewfinder refresh rate since pretty much the first time I used the E-M1. Hardly anybody agreed or even expressed sympathy, but it looks as if we might be getting it this time.

Whether it's any good or not remains to be seen. But if I can hit lucky, so can you

John
Grumpy Hec (11th September 2014)
Old 11th September 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I welcome the continuous improvement and agree it would be unsettling for Olympus not to continue developing their flagship camera so soon (Fuji are excellent in this respect). I think its a reasonable customer expectation they should. I quite like the art filters for a bit of fun but I don't use them all that much and favour dramatic tone and the gritty black and white but will gladly give the new ones ago.

Best wishes
Old 11th September 2014

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts

I am very interested to see what the tethering support is like from the PC. Have been waiting a long time for this
DK
brian1208 (11th September 2014)
Old 11th September 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When was the last time any camera got a second generation software upgrade as a major update ?? They usually force a new camera sale lets hope Olympus are starting a new trend.
Old 11th September 2014

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

4K video is back on the list...........maybe, maybe not. Dont have a 4K TV

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 11th September 2014

Liked 2,729 Times in 939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Art filters and the previously touted video improvements, if they exist, are of no interest to me at all.

The EVF rate sounds good but I'll be especially fascinated to see what the "16 improvements" are as that could be where the meat is for those of us who shoot RAW and like control via AP or man modes. The tethering sounds fun although I've started to use the new version of OIS on a tablet for that and find it very good so not sure if it will help me much but confirmed studio/laptop types will find it good I'm sure.

I still hope for but do not expect my often asked for "hyperfocal mode". This is something which I see as a firmware release and is in two parts in my mind. First a visible, using a focus peaking variation, display of whats in focus along with numbers showing near/far focus points. That is almost there in that I use MF and focus peaking already. The biggy is my request to have an assignable, to a button, function which sets the focus to the hyper focus point for the lens/aperture/focal length in use. For landscapers in particular how cool would that be. Of course I would also like the numbers on display for near/far and actual focus distance. I know we can use the rule of thumb of 1/3 distance and/or an app on your smart phone but I've always wondered why it's not there as it seems to be purely firmware to me along with the stuff that's already there anyway. It's just one of those usability things which would be a real help along with things we already have like the level display.

In the meantime we will get what we get or some such silly comment.

Hec
I agree with this about the focusing and hyperfocal mode
A focus scale in the viefinder would do me though this was added to the Fuji X pro1 via firmware and possibly the Sony A7 though I am less sure about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd1230 View Post
When was the last time any camera got a second generation software upgrade as a major update ?? They usually force a new camera sale lets hope Olympus are starting a new trend.
Fuji have been working hard on this type of stuff with thier CSC cameras and so have sony I believe. the Fuji X pro 1 is almost a different camera from when it was launched.

I am happy to see Oly doing the same myself.

I can certainly live without video let alone 4K and based on what I have read about 4K the data storage required is a real issue.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 12th September 2014

Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts

I'm not particularly interested in 4K video although it would be a bonus to have it. What I would like is extended video recording modes so the E-M1 is more in line with the Panasonic bodies. It's a bit daft that we're restricted to NTSC standards and that 24/25fps isn't available as an option, and a 60fps option would defiinitely be a welcome bonus even if restricted to 720p (although I see no reason it shouldn't be available for 1080p if there are suggestions of 4K support).
Old 15th September 2014

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

It has been the 15th of September in Japan for about 16 hours and no Firmware upgrade (yet)