Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th December 2013

Liked 2,724 Times in 938 Posts
Do you want to improve your photos.

I personally am always striving to improve my photography and have a long way to go IMO.

Why is most people on this forum do not want to improve?
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 20th December 2013

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts
Re: Do you want to improve your photos.

What on earth makes you think that folks on here don't want to improve?

There are many of us who are trying to improve day by day...myself included...

I find your initial comment very offensive..would you care to elaborate on your reasons for posting it or are you just trolling because you're bored on a Friday night?

Janet

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (21st December 2013), Gwyver (21st December 2013), Mrs T (24th December 2013), pault (21st December 2013), PeterBirder (21st December 2013), Wee man (21st December 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
byegad (23rd December 2013), ringneck (21st December 2013)
Old 20th December 2013

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I personally am always striving to improve my photography and have a long way to go IMO.

Why is most people on this forum do not want to improve?
Maybe because I'm bl**dy good already.

Not really, but I don't think photography is always about striving for the best all the time (& being disappointed) & that is why I tend to just present photos for the enjoyment of the subject more often in Foto Fare instead.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Chevvyf1 (21st December 2013), PeterBirder (21st December 2013), Wee man (23rd December 2013)
Old 20th December 2013

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

An intriguing question. Most of us can take nice in focus images(but not all,even with the best gear and after lots of time) but maybe not with great interpretation of the subject.
Some here never seem to change, I might be one of them

I think it would be good to push our outlook into other things but that's not always easy.

We all have our little "niches" that we are comfortable with but should try to change.

I'm interested why you have asked this.

It's not the best time for me to answer after a load of the falling down stuff. so I have to be careful what I say.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Janet (21st December 2013), PeterBirder (21st December 2013), Ralph Harwood (21st December 2013)
Old 20th December 2013

Liked 3,037 Times in 874 Posts

I take it that this is an oblique reference to the recent discussion about which sections of this forum members post their images in and why it seems that most people prefer to put them in 'Foto Fair' rather than 'Looking for Improvement'.

Ron
Old 21st December 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

I interpret Alf's comment to be thought-provoking and intended to produce a reaction, but not offensive. I guess we all have our own reasons for not using Looking For Improvement.

Personally I use LFI when:-

1) I think I've got a good shot, can't see how to improve it, but hope that fresh eyes can suggest something I've missed.

2) I think I have a promising shot but something is not right and I cannot see a way to improve it.

3) I'm outside my comfort zone and need advice on how to tackle the subject, improve a particular technique required for the shot or want to encourage honest feedback.

Unfortunately, just lately all my shots have been pretty much casual snaps, posted for entertainment only in Foto Fair. They are not good shots that just need a little polish to become excellent and they are not challenging enough to need advice. They are what they are; basically competent but run-of-the-mill.

My biggest problem is lack of motivation and inspiration; if I can get over those hurdles I may have a reason to post in LFI.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (21st December 2013), Janet (21st December 2013)
catkins (23rd December 2013), Chevvyf1 (21st December 2013), IainMacD (21st December 2013), Janet (21st December 2013), Phill D (21st December 2013), Ralph Harwood (21st December 2013)
Old 21st December 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Everyone!

I do try to improve my photography, but not every image I post is in looking for improvement - sometimes a photo is how I think it should be, and I may post it in FotoFair, sometimes I didn't think it was quite right and it was posted in looking for improvement. I always wlecome all comments, and some of the photos posted in FotoFair have had comments posted on them which have prompted a change in the picture, sometimes not. The advice I have received in looking for improvement has always been helpful, and is continually improving my images (I hope!).

Alf has been one of those members of the forums that has helped and encouraged me most, along with a few others who have commented on my photographs. He has also given me invaluable tips on equipment which have made a huge difference too. I have to agree with John that his comment was made to be thought provoking rather than offensive, and I hope that any member of this forum has the right to have and share his opinion.

If this thread causes even one member to try something new and out of their comfort zone in the name of improving their photography that has to be a good thing, surely. For me that is one of the purposes of the forum - as highlighted in Chevvy's thread education and improvement come out as reasons to use this particular forum.

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Wee man (21st December 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (21st December 2013)
Old 21st December 2013

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Alf takes some wonderful shots and I'm always happy to see them and try to learn from what he's done.

However, I still think his initial post was very insulting to the majority of us forum members...perhaps it was meant to be thought provoking, but I'm afraid it just got my back up!

Janet

Old 21st December 2013

There is a move (in Australia) for encouraging the improvement of our photography (& to make some money out of us) with Clique Photographers Association & the Fairfax news papers (http://myclique.smh.com.au/) with monthly challenges & prizes. I might do it to get myself off the comfortable couch (especially when I'm flaked out on hot days with the air conditioner on ). I might be able to justify having spent money on my gear in the process.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 21st December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Alf takes some wonderful shots and I'm always happy to see them and try to learn from what he's done.

However, I still think his initial post was very insulting to the majority of us forum members...perhaps it was meant to be thought provoking, but I'm afraid it just got my back up!

Janet
I hadn't noticed.
Old 21st December 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post

Janet
Fair comment, Janet, we all perceive things in different ways.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st December 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Personally, I take my images to a level where I think that they need no improvement. What I consider my best images are usually put into club competitions so I try to get them as 'right' as I feel I can. Usually the judge will find something to comment on, but very rarely anything major. Overall I would rather post the images in FF to show members what I have achieved and would expect little or no C and C as a result. Alf seems to use FF for this purpose rather than LFI.
BTW, i did not find the original post offensive in any way.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 21st December 2013

Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,293 Posts
Liked 2,333 Times in 1,108 Posts

I must admit I was perplexed with Alf's first post and also felt some of Janet's anxt, however, I'm much more in the Zuiko camp really. For me I'll usually post shots in photo fair and be very grateful for any critique that is offered. Occasionally I'll post in LfI when I've got a specific question that I'd like people to spend time thinking about for a more detailed critique. I'll learn from all the helpful comments on either section but wouldn't want people to waste their time doing a detailed LfI critique on a shot I wont have time to follow up on the advice hence I'd post that in Foto Fair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Wee man (21st December 2013)
Wee man (23rd December 2013), Zuiko (21st December 2013)
Old 21st December 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I must admit I was perplexed with Alf's first post and also felt some of Janet's anxt, however, I'm much more in the Zuiko camp really. For me I'll usually post shots in photo fair and be very grateful for any critique that is offered. Occasionally I'll post in LfI when I've got a specific question that I'd like people to spend time thinking about for a more detailed critique. I'll learn from all the helpful comments on either section but wouldn't want people to waste their time doing a detailed LfI critique on a shot I wont have time to follow up on the advice hence I'd post that in Foto Fair.
I go along with Phill and his comments here

and would add that I HAVE MASSIVE RESPECT for many Members here, who are AWESOME using their kit and the PC/post processing software too and they SURE DO INSPIRE ME even to do FX and mono conversions and to buy lots of kit extras (circular polarizing lenses and the benefits of them, Wreckdiver ; Capture One Pro 6 & 7 Oly Paul ; the ONE and various lenses ) to name a few things learned and purchased in the last 2 years.

I do use and store and recall much of the advice/tips offered. However, I do not always like other Members post processing of my images - but I am too polite to say so because we are all individuals and sometimes, later on I "come around to liking a post processing"

and thats another thing I like, we are a polite and respectful lot of mature individuals
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Liked This Post:
George Dorn (21st December 2013)
Old 21st December 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I am not offended by Alf's remark and can understand where he is coming from and used to think like that years ago but not now.

I think I am partly in the benvendetta camp with the exception that after 40 years of photography and 20 of those competing in local, national and international competitions I no longer have the wish or need to compete, call it getting old.

But I still enjoy my photography and like to share my photography and possibly what little knowledge and skill I have picked up over the years.

I still like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and master of none where photography is concerned, any one looking at my flickr photo stream can see I enjoy tackling all genres of photography and do not specalize.

Basicly I still enjoy my photography and that is the most important thing to me at my age, and after all these years I have been at it I no longer feel the need to improve myself but just enjoy it.

Playing devils advocate I could retort to Alf that he seems to be reluctant to leave his comfort zone of seascapes.

Or that once you have got close enough to take a photo of a duck sparrow bird or bug that is in focus and sharp where is the creativity or the photographers input and are you stuck in a comfort zone, as I said just playing devils advocate and showing how easy it is to make personal subjective statements. Plus it is always good to debate and shake things up sometimes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Chevvyf1 (21st December 2013), gregles (21st December 2013), Greytop (23rd December 2013), IainMacD (21st December 2013), Ross the fiddler (21st December 2013), Wee man (23rd December 2013), Zuiko (21st December 2013)