Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 2nd October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,693 Times in 768 Posts
Re: Zuiko 12-60 Repair Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
You are not the only ones. The aperture on my 12-60 SWD either broke or got stuck wide open the other day, pictures taken with aperture stopped down get overexposed.

It seems this is a common defect on this lens, could it be a design flaw or poor quality? Regardless, I like the lens so much I am prepared to spend money on getting it repaired. Olympus Sweden cannot give me a quote unless I send the lens to them. I plan to do so, if anyone is interested in the repair cost I can keep you posted.
It's worth asking if you cleaned the electrical contacts (on the camera side too).

Does the lens stop down if you set it to f/22 and use the stop down button?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 2nd October 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Hi Tord.

In post #19 above Gareth said his quote from Olympus UK was £139.30.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Tordan58 (2nd October 2013)
Old 2nd October 2013

Liked 1,383 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
It's worth asking if you cleaned the electrical contacts (on the camera side too).

Does the lens stop down if you set it to f/22 and use the stop down button?

Ian
Ian,

Pity you did not reply earlier.

I cannot test what you have suggested since I have sent the lens to Olympus for check and repair quote.
  1. Initial quote recommended repair of AUDIO SYSTEM. What???. I asked for a confirmation/re quote
  2. Re-quote received, recommending repair of AF SYSTEM. Say again, AF? AF has always worked, and worked when I sent the lens to Olympus.
I now have the options to
  • Accept the repair quote, although I have problems with that since it is quite obvious the repair workshop have no clue what they are doing.
  • Deny the quote and pay around 30£ for Olympus to return the lens to me, as is
  • Alternatively, Olympus will scrap the lens.

------------------

Here is the story from start.

The lens has worked perfectly since I bought it in 2011 (used, from a forum member, smooth transaction and matching description), I have been very pleased with it and have taken 1000's of pictures with it.

When on vacation this summer I noticed at one given point that the picture I just had taken was overexposed, quite a lot. The motif was not such that it called for exposure compensation, but it was not until I compensated that I got correct exposure. And it happened again. And again. A pattern became visible, pictures taken at full aperture were correctly exposed, pictures with smaller aperture overexposed.

On occasion, in random fashion, stopped-down pictures seem correctly exposed but that occured less often than 1 out of 10.

I tested the lens on another body (that worked fine with any other lens) and got the same results. Furthermore, any other lens used on the original body work fine too, so I this point I came to conclusion the iris is defect. Did I draw a premature conclusion?

Looking back at the pictures I took I can identify exactly where it started: in the middle of a photo session using this particular lens, no lens change took place so I doubt there was bad connections involved.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 2nd October 2013

Liked 307 Times in 82 Posts

Tord - you have accurately described the exact same problem that I had with my 12-60 earlier this year. Luton cameras here in the UK had to rebuild the iris, which cost me about £180 if my memory is correct. I could not recall damaging or dropping the lens.
The standard amount charged by Olympus UK for repairs seems to be £139 or thereabouts.
I think you must contact them and question their diagnosis since it seems so obviously wrong.
Tordan58 (3rd October 2013)
Old 2nd October 2013

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

I would agree with David. Your quote seems high and incompetent.

Lots of toys.
Old 2nd October 2013

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

I had the same problem with a 12 - 60 within 3 months of buying the lens with the E3 in early 2008

I sent the camera and lens back to Olympus where it rested for a month without any progress being made inspite of requests from the dealer for a replacement. I spoke informally to a solicitor and was informed that I was being badly / incorrectly treated so I wrote to the head of Olympus in Europe, (by email, fax and I think hard copy) within a few days a rather contrite service manager telephoned me to tell me a replacement camera and lens was coming to me.

The lens needed a service just before the warranty ran out as it was not always focussing at the shortest focal length.

A few weeks ago I had the 50-200 serviced by Oly (occasional loss of communication between lens and body from the camera) It cost nearly £400 to get it repaired (still cheaper than buying a new one)

From what I have observed Olympus service by replacing a significant component in a lens and this fixes many disparate issues. How Luton Cameras do a repair I do not know.
Old 3rd October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
I would agree with David. Your quote seems high and incompetent.
The cost aspect of the quote is, as I understand from reading the details, a standard feed for repair. "Take it or leave it." It seems that Olympus charge quite different fees depending on the region/country.

The technical aspect of the quote seems less competent, though. First "Sound System" which makes no sense, then "AF System" which makes less sense since the AF works as it should (at least as I perceive it, but I cannot rule out the AF system has some latent fault). Nothing is mentioned about "Iris system" though, which concerns me.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 3rd October 2013

Olympus just told me that the error code that translates to "AF SYSTEM" also includes issues related to faulty iris.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 11th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
The cost aspect of the quote is, as I understand from reading the details, a standard feed for repair. "Take it or leave it." It seems that Olympus charge quite different fees depending on the region/country.

The technical aspect of the quote seems less competent, though. First "Sound System" which makes no sense, then "AF System" which makes less sense since the AF works as it should (at least as I perceive it, but I cannot rule out the AF system has some latent fault). Nothing is mentioned about "Iris system" though, which concerns me.
Is the 'Sound system' a reference to the Supersonic in SWD perhaps? Just a thought, but its puzzling why its the AF system that's supposedly faulty. My 12-60 has just started to refuse to stop down at all focal lengths beyond 18mm but oddly does so correctly at 12-18mm.
I wonder if anybody else has experienced the same fault?
Simon.
Old 11th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Is the 'Sound system' a reference to the Supersonic in SWD perhaps? Just a thought, but its puzzling why its the AF system that's supposedly faulty. My 12-60 has just started to refuse to stop down at all focal lengths beyond 18mm but oddly does so correctly at 12-18mm.
Simon.
Hi Simon,
Maybe I was not clear.

The behavior I experienced with my 12-60 SWD was inability to stop down, regardless of focal length.

The original quote referred to an error code AUDIO SYSTEM that was incorrect, the workshop somehow had mixed up error codes.

The re-quote referred to error code AF SYSTEM. For some reason AF SYSTEM code also includes errors pertaining to the iris.

Above according to the information I received from support.

Let's see what the report says once I get the lens back...

My Gallery on 500px
Old 11th October 2013

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Simon.
Yep Simon
Just what I had , my quote was $425 for repair which I did not except.
Not wanting to sound like sour grapes but there is obviously a problem with this lens as good as it is , the failure rate seems to be quite high as it ages.
My 14-54 lens still gives as good if not better results and no problems even though it has twice the usage.
Still hasn't stopped me I have preordered a em1 with the 12-40 hope it is as good as my 14-54
Cheers
John
The Following User Says Thank You to ozzie For This Useful Post:
Simon (11th October 2013)
Old 21st October 2013

The lens came back today. The report says the iris has been replaced, lens checked/cleaned. Hopefully it will serve me well for years to come.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 22nd October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Hope your 12-60 will continue to give you years of great service, Tordan.

the repair estimate for my 12-60 was £146 which relates to the 'barrier' needing attention, whatever that is. Quite relieved as this is substantially less than replacement, or the move to the 12-40 when the EM1 arrives.

I wonder if the 12-60 has a disproportionate amount of repairs too.

Simon.
Old 29th October 2016

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Middle of a gig and the dreaded stuck aperture occurred

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk