Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 28th January 2013
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
First Video made on E-5: music video to accompany recording - please watch!

Hi all

Can I please politely ask that if you are interested in watching the video, could you click on the link so that it actually opens in YouTube rather than watching it on here - as we are currently not sure that any views made on here actually contribute to the overall YouTube video view count - many thanks.

The video is at bottom of post... please scroll down if you don't want to read the detail of how we made it.

Well, despite my personal circumstances, I have been kept busy recently by Heather wanting to record music and Shannon wanting to record videos. So... having made many audio recordings, I decided to take the plunge and have a go at making my first video to accompany a recording Shannon made. This is my very first attempt... and given that some people here will no doubt have much more experience at making videos, and others perhaps might wish to find out how to do this themselves, I thought I'd try to share a little about the process and how we went about making it. Was lots of fun I must admit, and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Something Shan has wanted to do for some time is to record a song then make a music video to accompany it and to then post it on YouTube for all her family and friends to see what she is capable of - this was not only my first attempt at video and editing, but it was her first attempt at recording singing plus her playing the guitar too (she has only been playing guitar for 3 months!). I have some good quality audio recording kit in my home studio, and I'm able to make a decent quality recording, so we recorded Shan playing the guitar and singing to this all in the evening prior to going out the following day with the camera. Each section of audio (vocal and guitar) sits on its own track which then allows me to amend the individual levels and EQ etc. accordingly. I then put the music track on my iPhone so that I could play this at the same time as I was recording the video - so that we could get lip sync correct etc! For all my audio recording, mixing and final EQ... I use LogicPro on Mac.

For all of the video work I used the Oly E-5 together with the Oly 14-54mm lens, all handheld, and all edited with iMovie on my Mac. Admittedly I made loads of mistakes, and even have some sections of the song where I didn't manage to capture Shannon singing at all and so had to 'fill in' on the video with clips of her strumming her guitar or walking/sitting etc - I'll know for next time! We recorded all the material in about 3 hours and at two different locations, I then spent many hours putting it all together - something which I enjoyed immensely and will most certainly do again - but next time I will have the benefit of having attempted it previously, and thus knowing what mistakes not to make a second time. The E-5 of course records audio too, but by using any decent movie editing software it is an easy task to split out the recorded audio from the video, and then to use the pre-recorded audio fro the night before as the master audio track. Doing this enabled Shannon to pretty accurately sing to the actual audio track we intended to use in the final version. This is what I did in this case - though I did make a mistake or two in forgetting to remove the camera-recorded-audio in one or two places. iMovie allows accurate precision in aligning the video to audio, and after spending some time learning how to do this I seemed to get a little better at it.

All in all it was a super day, and this is what we came up with - Shannon singing, playing guitar and featuring in her very first video, her cover of Your Song.

NOTE: If you do intend to watch this, as I mention earlier please would you kindly watch it on YouTube by clicking the link below - and not here on eGroup - as we are not sure if the 'likes' are incremented for any views made on here - and obviously Shannon is trying to get her view count up, bless her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_XB8d1Y32w

I appreciate I made many mistakes, focus, effects, scenes etc can all be improved... but as I said this was my very first attempt at making a video and we did it all, from nothing. All suggestions, comments and feedback, together with any likes, views and comments on YouTube are always very much appreciated. Thanks all.

The Following User Says Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
pandora (30th January 2013)
Old 28th January 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: First Video made on E-5: music video to accompany recording - please watch!

Very good for a first attempt. Cracking good singer, and good acoustics.

But what really cracked me up was Shannon plea "John, I can't hold it" at the beginning!

What couldn't she hold, and did she drop it/let it rip/or what?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
theMusicMan (30th January 2013)
Old 28th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Very good for a first attempt. Cracking good singer, and good acoustics.

But what really cracked me up was Shannon plea "John, I can't hold it" at the beginning!

What couldn't she hold, and did she drop it/let it rip/or what?
Haha... classic!! Her guitar was what she couldn't hold...

She was actually led against a fence trying to strum the opening four bars on guitar prior to the start of the singing... she needed to be sat down really, as she didn't have a shoulder strap on her guitar! We moved to her leaning against the tree as you can see when the music commences. Wasn't an ideal clip and was the first of several mistakes I've learned from for next time.

Thankfully... no toilet issues were experienced that day!

Old 28th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Hi John, I'm not a frequent YouTube user but for some reason despite logging into my account the number of views on the video seems to be static at 465. Ive even tried logging in using a dongle to provide a different ISP address but the count is still 465. I viewed the video a few seconds after you posted it so am assuming others have viewed since yet the count has not changed. Is this correct ?

John
I'm not sure to be honest John. I am aware that sometimes it takes a little while for views to be added to the currently shown figure. I will visit YouTube later on today and see if the count has gone up at all.

Thanks for (1) watching and (2) the heads up on this view issue.

Can I ask could you try commenting on YouTube please... this might have a different effect, you never know.

Much appreciated John.

Old 28th January 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

Hi John, glad you are finding some projects to focus on, that's a very good video for a first attempt! Sharon is a wonderful singer, too, so it must be rewarding to work with her. I've watched on You Tube via the link you gave and I've "Liked" and commented, but views still at 465.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 28th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hi John, glad you are finding some projects to focus on, that's a very good video for a first attempt! Sharon is a wonderful singer, too, so it must be rewarding to work with her. I've watched on You Tube via the link you gave and I've "Liked" and commented, but views still at 465.
Many thanks John. I have to admit that I found making this video; the audio recording, the video recording through to the final editing - to be one of the most enjoyable 'new' things I have done for a while and it has taken me a little by surprise how much I enjoyed it. I'm obviously aware that my E-5 has video recording capability, but have always dismissed that capability and have never felt any interest in doing video. Shannon has always said to me she'd love to do a music video of her own, and has been kicking me up the backside regularly since coming back from holidays last year to make one with her. I am glad she persevered... kids eh!

Not sure about the view count to be honest... I will look into that later, but thanks for viewing John, much appreciated.

Old 28th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
No problem John, Ive posted the comment ( after 2 attempts ). Think the first post went into the depths of YouTube never to be seen again. Count is still showing 465.

John
Hi John - just to let you know I don't see any comment on the YouTube page from you...? Unless this will appear later, but I see nothing at the moment! How strange.

Old 28th January 2013

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Very competently done for a first attempt. I don't think anyone will be surprised at the quality of your work in say 12-18months time. I for one think it will be superb.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seonnaidh For This Useful Post:
Old 28th January 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I watched the first 30 seconds.
Do you have a 'straight' version with no zoomy misfocus bits at the start?

Edit : watched it right through.
The start bit is still terrible. You could've (should've) just faded into the proper song which is well sung and does the business.
At 1:25 you've an odd audio glitch, sounds like camera noise, maybe lens noise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulfric M Douglas For This Useful Post:
theMusicMan (29th January 2013)
Old 28th January 2013

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,298 Posts
Liked 2,339 Times in 1,111 Posts

494 views now John so it looks like it's counting OK now. Lovely vocals and a very good first video. Only oddity for me was that the sound and the video seemed a bit detached. That was the best way I can describe it. Not out of sync but sort of as if the stereo was a bit too wide. It's probably nothing you did though more likely our internet connection going weird with the evening traffic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Old 29th January 2013

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Very good. I think you are let down by the poor quality streaming from YouTube which meant jerky video and video/sound a bit out of sync. 551 views.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Old 30th January 2013

My sincere thanks to everyone who has commented in here, and who has taken the time to view the video on YouTube - thanks very much. Shan's YouTube views are creeping up slowly, and she is a happy bunnie!!

I do take on board all comments made on here, and of course I am already well aware of the basic errors I made on this video and what I could have done to correct these if Shannon were less rushed to get it onto YouTube as quickly as possible. Kids eh!

For example: I appreciate that the opening section is messy, and that I have not removed a section of camera-recorded-audio from one of the fill-in clips I used. These are pretty much straightforward technical errors, and are hopefully remedied by skills that I will attempt to improve on as I make further videos. I am also sure I could have aligned the audio and video more accurately - something I will research on the web as to how to do using iMovie or if I decide to have more serious attempts at making video - I'd purchase Final Cut Pro and see how to do it using that app.

However, preferably I'd very much like your feedback on the general 'videography' (is that even a word??) in the video. I have never, ever made a video like this before, and especially trying to (1) match video up to pre-recorded audio, and (2) ensuring the video clips captured and used are interesting and stimulating enough to retain the viewer til the end and (3) any fades in or out - are these acceptable or are there alternate fades I should use as standard (4) tips on scenery and locations etc.

For those who have yet to view - please do so...

Many thanks all.

Old 30th January 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

As regards the visual aspects of the video, I find little wrong with it. Certainly practice will smooth out the rough edges. The main thing which jars at the beginning is the sound of the focus motor.

It has the typical style of a one-camera film, which is fine. This makes the video more involved with the singer, makes it more personal, as if the singer is singing to the viewer on a one-to-one basis.

I think, though it may just be me, that the photographer has a slight tendency to let the camera droop down to look at Shannon's chestal area before quickly recovering!

Perhaps a few wider-angle shots might work?

My Flickr site
Old 30th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
As regards the visual aspects of the video, I find little wrong with it. Certainly practice will smooth out the rough edges. The main thing which jars at the beginning is the sound of the focus motor.

It has the typical style of a one-camera film, which is fine. This makes the video more involved with the singer, makes it more personal, as if the singer is singing to the viewer on a one-to-one basis.

I think, though it may just be me, that the photographer has a slight tendency to let the camera droop down to look at Shannon's chestal area before quickly recovering!

Perhaps a few wider-angle shots might work?
Really! I can honestly say that Shannon is quite conscious of her 'chestal area' and I made attempts not to feature this in the video much at all. Serious question... nobody else has mentioned this to me or to Shan, but does it really seem like that Stephen?

Old 30th January 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Really! I can honestly say that Shannon is quite conscious of her 'chestal area' and I made attempts not to feature this in the video much at all. Serious question... nobody else has mentioned this to me or to Shan, but does it really seem like that Stephen?
To my eyes the camera does seem to drift downwards occasionally. Honest.

My Flickr site