Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th July 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Wiltshire Knowledge

I'm going to Wiltshire in a few weeks' time and I know there is a srong contingent of members in that part of the World, so I wondered if anyone could give me suggestions for good early morning locations close to where I am staying that I could visit before the rest of the familly are up for breakfast.

I will be staying for 5 days at the Lower Foxhangers campsite which is adjacent to Caen Hill Locks on the Kennet and Avon. Obviously there is the canal and the formidable series of locks, but is there anything else within 10 miles maximum that I should also consider?

Thanks,

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th July 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Wiltshire Knowledge

You have bowood, which is between chippenham and calne on the A4.

A few miles further east you have Kennet long barrow and silbury hill. You also have Avebury with the stones.
Old 12th July 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

John

Go to Dragon Hill .The Uffington White Horse(Dragon)is great.From there walk to Waylands Smithy its about 2 miles along the Ridgeway.Great view,lots of wild life.
Avebury is very atmospheric,look for Ley lines(sorry but I'm an old hippy).

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 12th July 2008
Administrator

Thanks John and Andy. Sounds like there will be plenty to keep me busy. I must get an O.S. map of the area ASAP.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th July 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

John

If by any chance (and I know this is a really wild idea) you have an interest in photography there is the Fox Talbot museuem at Lacock Abbey. Plus of course the abbey itself (littered with NT no photographs signs, smile, don't make a nuisance, don't use flash - the cloisters are marvellous)

The village of Lacock is quite something special as well, but tourist summer may make shots hard.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...beyvillage.htm.

Devizes is itself quite pretty with a lot of old buildings, albeit inclined to be crowded, but well worth some shots.

Avebury - well I know there is a ewe you are keen on,

But the stones are great, it really is far more spectacular than that diddy structure at Stonehenge. The church is well worth a visit as well.

(Avebury often gets morning mists, not the best time for a first visit, but for the right shot of the stones (don't forget the avenue - that extends out towards Marlborough - almost always missed)

Kennet - West Kennet Long Barrow - a bit of a treck from the road -well worth seeing - a b*gg*r to photograph effectively. There is a stream half-way which I've always thought to be a good location, never explored.

Silbury Hill - well, I wait to see if you can get a good shot, great monument and very historically interesting, worth seeing, but it is just a rather specatular lump.

Avebury Manor

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...anorandgarden/

But the whole area is littered with historic sites, it really is a rich hunting ground (almost as good as suffolk).

Sorry - a bit disorganised, just a dump of immediate thoughts.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 13th July 2008
Administrator

Thanks Nick, some great suggestions. And that ewe, well, she's the main reason I'm comming - and the reason why I'll need to get up early before the familly stirs!