Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 8th September 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Olympus 12mm and Silver Efex Pro

Just got the 12mm f2 thanks to a fellow member -- had previously classified this one as desirable but too expensive new. It's going to be a huge boon for interiors but also for DoF control when I do want to get quite a lot into the picture but it's not appropriate to focus 2" away. Anyway, after a year or two of denying that I needed Silver Efex Pro for B&W efforts, I realised that with v.2 in particular, there really are a huge number of things that can be done which are far more time consuming or even impossible with just standard conversions available in the likes of LR or PS.

My first real shots with this lens after a few tests can be seen below:

Larger versions with a number of varied landscape experiments, all (except the first) of which were taken recently with the E-M5 can be seen here:

http://dko22.zenfolio.com/p282488340

The next image would have required an exposure of almost 1 sec with f4 of a kit or 7-14 at ISO 200. With the 12 at f2, I could do 1/10 at 400 which with the IBIS is easily enough to guarantee sharpness and low noise as well as softening the background noticeably more. This sort of image I really struggled with just going back a mere 3 years to a D200 now becomes child's play

Old 8th September 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Olympus 12mm and Silver Efex Pro

See, I SAID you'd get good results with this lens - and you have!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 11th September 2012
Alpha1

I am also a devotee of Silver Efex Pro 2. The pre-sets are great but the total flexibility for fine tuning is truly astounding. Just imagine the hours of work required to achieve this by just using Photoshop!
Old 11th September 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
I am also a devotee of Silver Efex Pro 2. The pre-sets are great but the total flexibility for fine tuning is truly astounding. Just imagine the hours of work required to achieve this by just using Photoshop!
fine tuning particularly using control points which even give a way of painting back selective colour but in a different and perhaps more interesting way than PS layer masks. I find that b&w gives a greater range of expression than colour in situations where it's not the colour itself that is vital to the image simply because tones can be varied more in b&w without the results being obviously tasteless. The vast majority of effects as far as I can understand could be produced by skilled darkroom work in the old days (I never did that much darkroom work and it certainly wasn't skilled).

Anyway, I'm really at the beginning of a long road to discovery. The E-M5 with the 3 primes 12,25,45 is a high quality, very light combination that can be taken anywhere. With landscapes that require the extremes of focal length, especially mountains, then I take the 7-14 and 75-300 but even with 4 lenses say, the kit is still lighter than the water bottle and sandwiches.

David

Old 11th September 2012

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

It took me a while to get on with it but I do love that lens now!
I'm still in denial regarding B&W software though - you are making me rethink.