Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd August 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
A disappointing win

My local Garden Society has a photographic section, with 4 classes, in it's annual open show. I first entered a couple of images five years ago and got a 1st and a 3rd - very happy. The standard and number of entries has increased dramatically since then and we were overwhelmed with excellent entries last year. This year, suddenly we had about 20% fewer entries and I received four 1sts, four 2nds and a third plus a Best in Section. Where has all the competition gone? I overheard some comments to the effect that the standard of my entries put others off, but I know this isn't true as we have had many of a superior standard in the past. This leaves me in the position of being very disappointed with the overall result and the feeling that perhaps I shouldn't enter any in future - my enthusiasm has taken a bit of a knock from these comments. Has anybody else seen a similar situation and should I take a back seat or just tough it out? Your thoughts and comments would be very welcome on this.

Thanks for reading,

David
Old 22nd August 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: A disappointing win

Congratulations on your success - comments shouldn't be allowed to take away from it.

But of course you are now in a no-win situation - 'that David - thinks he's too good to enter our competition'.

I'd wonder if the disappointing early summer might have more to do with the paucity of entries, in which case things might even out.

Maybe enter fewer classes next year, or get yourself disqualified by becoming a judge.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 22nd August 2012

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

David well done remember the judges did not know who it was they were marking and even if the field is smaller you still have to be the best to win.
Stay in there and maybe as Nick says reduce the classes you enter and see what happens.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 22nd August 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
... and I received four 1sts, four 2nds and a third plus a Best in Section. Where has all the competition gone? ...
Being the Usain Bolt of the garden fetes shouln't get you down.

Enjoy, and make up a silly pose.
And ... post your four right here!
Old 22nd August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Being the Usain Bolt of the garden fetes shouln't get you down.

Enjoy, and make up a silly pose.
And ... post your four right here!
Plus one.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Congratulations on your success - comments shouldn't be allowed to take away from it.

But of course you are now in a no-win situation - 'that David - thinks he's too good to enter our competition'.

I'd wonder if the disappointing early summer might have more to do with the paucity of entries, in which case things might even out.

Maybe enter fewer classes next year, or get yourself disqualified by becoming a judge.

Nick
Nick speaks wisely.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd August 2012

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts

Hi David,

Congratulations on your win you should be really pleased.

I'm a great believer in turning a negative into a positive so how about you do a small write up along the lines of, "Helpful hints for Flower Photography" for fellow members to take away with them after the usual weekly/monthly get togethers. It won't be too long before you'll be approached for some friendly advice etc.

I always remember back in 1992 I entered the local camera clubs annual photographic competition and won outright over three rounds with some digital slides I created from film images that were put on a Kodak Photo CD and manipulated in Aldous Photostyler. The club held a meeting to with a view to ban all Digital Images on the basis, "It is not proper Photography".

My response was a members mini evening showing the procedures that one went through in Digital vs Film. To my pleasant surprise it went down well and I actually changed peoples perceptions of the new technology.

So a happy ending all round.

All the best.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 22nd August 2012

Liked 321 Times in 156 Posts

That seems to be very British David to be embarrassed by your success you needn't be having seen some of your work on this forum it does not surprise me well done. .

I have looked on other forums to see the standard of pictures for canikon and although I do not class myself as an expert I do think the Olympus pictures are in general stunning. As a matter of interest were your entries taken with SHG lenses? Were you the only one with Olympus gear?

John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 23rd August 2012

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,463 Posts
Liked 4,227 Times in 1,920 Posts

David - I have made known elsewhere my aversion to organised competition in art.
Not for lack of confidence or fear of losing but simply because the results say more about the bias of judge/s than about the competitor's creativity. Ergo, change the judge/s and almost certainly you change the result.

Competition in sport has always been a trick of the weak to harness the able, Nero as the classic example. And I take that proposition all the way to the Olympics where it's the sponsors that take home the real gold. In a year or two who will remember who won what.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 23rd August 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Well, David - a few years back, we were encouraged to "enter" our local one day show at Alresford. Entries had to be "mounted" and were submitted on a sheet from a scrapbook or A4 or A3 sheet of card and glued on

I printed off some A4 images of Nicks best photos and my own; went to the Stationers and bought some rather nice "professional Mounts" and some 250gsm card A4.

I even completed the Entry form for myself and Nick and on the day - shot off out before breakfast, at 6.30am to deliver them between 7am-9am - returning home to walk the dogs and then shower and breakfast before we finally went to the show

At 30 minutes before the appointed Prize giving time, we entered the marquee - Nicks baby Thrush in the Snow, taken WITH MY E-1 and 14-54Mk1 lens on MY CHIP and tripod set up FOR ME WON 1st and BEST IN SHOW AND "The Maddie Attenborough Challange Cup"

a few people were walking about the Art submitted photos and said "they lookj like a professionals and should not be entered here ... and later (while Nick was signing for receipt of his Challange TROPHY ...) I heard the judges say the same thing "about all of my entries" SO I never entered again...

BUT do you know what? SInce that year all entries are now on proper card and with mounts so we lifted the Standard - well actually I DID !

ps NO I am not pee'd orf that Nick won THAT TROPHY ...

PPS We were "encouraged to enter" by Show Organisers who had over previous years and that ONE, used images of mine for the Programme; Flyers and massive 1m x 3m posters for fencing FOR FREE and my entries were just fav shots - nothing special and I am not a registered professional ... just a hobby person now
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd August 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post

I have looked on other forums to see the standard of pictures for canikon and although I do not class myself as an expert I do think the Olympus pictures are in general stunning. As a matter of interest were your entries taken with SHG lenses? Were you the only one with Olympus gear?

John
They were all taken with Olympus except the one that won the "Stormy weather" class which was taken on a Leica Digilux 2 and the others were with ED 7-14mm or Leica 14-150mm.

All but one winners have been posted on this forum before except the aforementioned:

I think that the main reason in entering these local competitions is my need to share my images and at the exhibition of arts and crafts during our Diamond Jubilee Celebrations my display of wildlife photos did just that. So perhaps in future I will only exhibit at the County show and in the meantime set up a website to display my images. What do you think?
Old 23rd August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think it's par for the course with local shows.

Ours have to be entered un-mounted, max 5x7, basically so that they could check to make sure they weren't digital(!) in the years before digital became popular. There are now two divisions, digital and film, and the cup goes (supposedly) to the overall winner, though it seems to me that it goes to the overall winner in the film section. (A couple of years back I counted up my points and I had the impression I'd I got more than the person who was awarded the cup.) That year I got best in division for the portrait photo and there were mutterings about me having a posh camera. There were also mutterings about me having done workshops. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

This is despite the people being really nice, and probably didn't mean to make me feel uncomfortable.

Last year a lot more people entered and the standard rocketed, which put the person who normally gets the cup's nose out of joint. Tough. She'll have to up her game.

I might mention, though, that the judging sometimes leaves me perplexed. Twice now, on separate years with a class called "transport" the photo which won was good in concept but there was the shadow of the photographer clearly visible (head & shoulders plus). It was a picture of several bicycles on a pavement, in a pattern, The first time it won it was printed out on ordinary computer paper. The second time it won it was properly printed but the entrant had made no effort to clone out the offending shadow, and it would have been comparatively easy to do as the shadow was on tarmac. But there's nothing in the rules to say the same photos can't be entered year after year.

The people who win these things at the local show get so het up if they don't win... it means a lot to them.

But there's also the point that few entries means a hollow victory, and poor entries means a hollow victory.

People ought to be challenged in these shows. If they get put off because suddenly it's got harder, shame on them for lacking the competive spirit. What's the point in winning something if it wasn't hard to win?

I'd keep entering and let then snipe about it.
Old 23rd August 2012

Liked 321 Times in 156 Posts

David I enjoy looking at your pictures and if I do I am sure others do as well. I do not think you should be put off entering competitions by sour grapes comments. Competitions always create winners and losers (I do not like that word though). But what high standard entries means is that people will have to up their game and in the end everyone will benefit as others have given examples here.

One of the problems I think you are faced with is that in this forum members are very helpful, open to new concepts and humorous without being bitter and twisted. When you go elsewhere to share you photography interests you do not always come across such a wonderful bunch of people.

In the end do what you feel comfortable with and only remember those giving good comments or constructive criticism.

Keep up the good work.
John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1