Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th October 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5D Mk2 RIP

I had this stupid dream to own one day a 5D mk2. But today after handling a friends camera, my dream was suddenly shattered into 2 lumps of heavy and unbreakable chunks of metal and plastic.

I'm a big guy and i was really put off my the weight and secondly the menu system was very alien. I have been really spoilt by using Olympus all these years.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I dont really want to knock canon but i found out the system is'nt for me.

Chris
Old 15th October 2010
Kiwi Paul

Re: 5D Mk2 RIP

A new menu system isn't a reason to discount another brand. Once you adapt to it, it will become second nature.

I tried to use a friends Nikon and I struggled as the menu system was alien to me but given time I'm sure I would have adapted.

Paul
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

I had a play with a 5D MK2 and 7D recently, I preferred the viewfinder compared to my e-30, but everything else I thought my e-30 was better and your right I think even when I adapted to the canon menu I could still operate my e-30 quicker

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 15th October 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
A new menu system isn't a reason to discount another brand. Once you adapt to it, it will become second nature.

I tried to use a friends Nikon and I struggled as the menu system was alien to me but given time I'm sure I would have adapted.

Paul
I know what you mean Paul, but i have tried other brands and i have found them to be easy to use, just this camera seemed to hide everything up. Even if you dont know where everything is you can still get a jist of whats what. Maybe its because its a semi pro camera.

It was mainly the weight of the thing that's the problem. Im not dissing another camera brand i was just disappointed in what i found and the differences to Olympus of which i have come accustom to.
Old 15th October 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
I had a play with a 5D MK2 and 7D recently, I preferred the viewfinder compared to my e-30, but everything else I thought my e-30 was better and your right I think even when I adapted to the canon menu I could still operate my e-30 quicker
I forgot to mention the view finder was great! compared to my 520 lol.
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Both the Canons are big beasts, especially the 7D I thought. Still, great cameras but I would miss my E-3's swivel screen . Can't wait to see what the E-5's 3 incher hi res one is like!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 887 Times in 310 Posts

What was your opinion of the build quality?
Any recent Canon I have handled has always been a tad disappointing, especially their cheaper models.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 15th October 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
What was your opinion of the build quality?
Any recent Canon I have handled has always been a tad disappointing, especially their cheaper models.
The body its self was good looked and felt strong. I agree the budget end cameras are really poorly made. though at work we have a set of Nikon d40's and they are put through the **** and they're still going strong lol
Old 15th October 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Both the Canons are big beasts, especially the 7D I thought. Still, great cameras but I would miss my E-3's swivel screen . Can't wait to see what the E-5's 3 incher hi res one is like!
How do the 5d, 7D etc compare weight wise to the E3 ?
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 887 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippledsandwich View Post
How do the 5d, 7D etc compare weight wise to the E3 ?
Looking at the spec sheets there is only 10 to 20 grammes in it (with respect to the E-5). Little enough that you wouldn't notice.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 15th October 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

I think the 5DII is a magnificent camera and photography would be poorer without it. I'm sure I could find my way around one, but for various reasons I don't want to buy one. There were reasons why I originally chose Olympus DSLRs and those reasons are still sound today. Mind you, if someone gave me a 5DII I wouldn't kick it out of my kit bag, I just wouldn't swap it for my E-3!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Guys,

It was a difficult decision to move from the E-3 to the 7D. Having owned E300, 510, 520 and 620 the best things for me were the menu and on the later models the swivel screen. When I eventually got the E-3 the viewfinder superb. So much so that it was high on the list of things I wanted in my next camera. Also the knowledge, in the E-3, I didn't have to worry too much about monsoons and dusty deserts conditions often found here in South Lincolnshire If only the E-5 had come along sooner.

The 7D is bigger, but it felt right in my hands. The viewfinder seemed a little brighter and after a short while I found my way around the menus without too much difficulty: I have found the customisation easier, and do much of my menu driven changes from the custom menu.

A major drawback, for me, is the lack of swivel LCD. This has been corrected in the new 60D Canon's new screen is like the Olympus approach which is far superior to the Sony and Nikon in my mind. I am considering investing in some knee pads.

Some of the Lenses are heavier, some lighter, but all in all, my kit back is now heavier - no surprise.

Here are my last E-3 shots and my Canon shots

Finally, I do miss fully participating in this great forum! I hope you are going to run the end of year competition again?

Any way, hope the above helps.

Kind regards

Graydon