Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 472 Times in 248 Posts
Re: Pop Up Scam?

Just a note to anyone with McAfee who wants to move to another antivirus.

You can do anything you want to get rid of McAfee but you won't succeed. You have to get a program from McAfee's site to do the job properly. (And don't forget to cancel your subscription too) I had the problem with a niece's computer and this was the only way of getting rid of McAfee completely.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 858 Times in 549 Posts

I once bought a new multimedia PC with McAfee pre-installed. It wouldn't play videos without significant sound distortion every now and again. That turned out to be caused by McAfee so I immediately uninstalled it and had no further trouble. I had not registered the product nor subscribed to the "service" so it was removed quite easily. There is a school of thought that some of these AV programs are themselves malware. I have never used an AV program and never suffered an infection. (Yet..!) As I've said before, a decent firewall, an e-mail screener such as Mailwasher and full use of your browser's security features should keep out all but the most virulent malware.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,269 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Just a note to anyone with McAfee who wants to move to another antivirus.

You can do anything you want to get rid of McAfee but you won't succeed. You have to get a program from McAfee's site to do the job properly. (And don't forget to cancel your subscription too) I had the problem with a niece's computer and this was the only way of getting rid of McAfee completely.
To be fair many 'security' apps are difficult to get rid of. Even updates to later versions of the same programme often need a small utility app to remove all files and registry entries. These will usually be found on the relevant supplier's website.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Most AV and similar software that claims to "protect" you is borderline malware itself. Not only do they hook into almost every call that your applications make to the OS (and so slow your machine down), but in doing so they create a surface for viruses to target. Then the background scans they run will slow your machine when you're least expecting it, probably for little benefit since the detection rate is not good. Really, it's best if you develop a healthy sense of distrust and act carefully when going on line and make sure your network security is sound (by using a good firewall/ router).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,113 Posts

Just got the fake McAfee pop-up again, so back to square one.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
That's not good news. If you think it is because something was left behind after all your removal efforts, I suggest you try using the Kaspersky Rescue Disk - but make sure you download it directly from Kasperky's own site.

The files you download have to be written to a USB stick, or to a CD, from which the computer can be booted. The advantage of this method is that the Rescue software runs its own operating system and can examine Windows from the 'outside'. This means that any infected routines lodged deep within Windows are never activated but can be searched for by the Rescue Disk.
It has removed some difficult, persistent malware for me, in the past, and appears to be updated regularly, so make sure you have the latest version.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (4 Weeks Ago)
Zuiko (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
That's not good news. If you think it is because something was left behind after all your removal efforts, I suggest you try using the Kaspersky Rescue Disk - but make sure you download it directly from Kasperky's own site.

The files you download have to be written to a USB stick, or to a CD, from which the computer can be booted. The advantage of this method is that the Rescue software runs its own operating system and can examine Windows from the 'outside'. This means that any infected routines lodged deep within Windows are never activated but can be searched for by the Rescue Disk.
It has removed some difficult, persistent malware for me, in the past, and appears to be updated regularly, so make sure you have the latest version.
Thanks Mike, this is taking me outside my comfort zone. I have a service contract with PC World so I think I'll get them to look at my PC.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,515 Times in 749 Posts

I don't want to say this as it's not really helpful but .....
Macs don't have as many issues as Window users because fewer people use them.
Yes, there are a few malware programs that attack Macs but they are not as prevalent as on Windows.

I don't run any malware/virus protection software and "touch wood" have managed to be mostly problem-free. Like others have said clicking on YouTube links is certainly a source of problems and should be avoided.

Hope PC World get you sorted.

My Flickr
Zuiko (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Most AV and similar software that claims to "protect" you is borderline malware itself. Not only does they hook into almost every call that your applications make to the OS (and so slow your machine down), but in doing so they create a surface for viruses to target. Then the background scans they run will slow your machine when you're least expecting it, probably for little benefit since the detection rate is not good. Really, it's best if you develop a healthy sense of distrust and act carefully when going on line and make sure your network security is sound (by using a good firewall/ router).
As a computer "expert", what is your recommendation. Personally I just use the Windows Defender, and Ccleaner which is not a virus thingy, and am weary about clicking on links that are too good to be true. But I could fail ..

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
As a computer "expert", what is your recommendation. Personally I just use the Windows Defender, and Ccleaner which is not a virus thingy, and am weary about clicking on links that are too good to be true. But I could fail ..
The basic Windows Defender is just fine. You don't need anything else. Also make sure that your firewall (usually on your router) is configured properly (default value unless you know what you're doing).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Where is pop-up coming from John? Is it from within your browser, or is an OS-level window popping up?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Where is pop-up coming from John? Is it from within your browser, or is an OS-level window popping up?
It only happens when I am viewing the MSN homepage on my browser and click to view a news item. A new page opens fine, but within a few minutes another page opens unprompted with the fake message. It only happens sporadically, not every time I click on a news item, and it's easy enough to close, but what worries me is the potential for it to infect other areas of my PC or hack into other accounts such as online banking.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
It only happens when I am viewing the MSN homepage on my browser and click to view a news item. A new page opens fine, but within a few minutes another page opens unprompted with the fake message. It only happens sporadically, not every time I click on a news item, and it's easy enough to close, but what worries me is the potential for it to infect other areas of my PC or hack into other accounts such as online banking.
Now you know it's when you go to a news page on the browser, I suggest that you should empty the cache of your browser. I think you mentioned that you use Edge so see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...rowser-history and see if it stops the problem. There are also settings to block pop-ups.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

John - I suggest you install Chrome and run with that for a little while. If it's something that's been installed via Edge then it'll prove the point. You might like Chrome too- definitely better than Edge.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 858 Times in 549 Posts

Doesn't Microsoft claim that Edge is more secure than other browsers?! I personally prefer Firefox, can't help thinking that Chrome (Google) is harvesting data. Both have optional extensions though that can enhance the user experience. I rarely visit MSN News but if I do, I do it in a private window to ensure any MSN-related cookies and other nasties get deleted when I close that window.