Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 7th April 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Af speed question

Hello All,

I have searched and can't locate a previous thread but feel certain it will have been covered so apologise in advance.

I use an E3 for athletics/cross country photography taking images for club websites and newsletters. I originally used an old Nikon D2h for many reasons not least the overall speed. It died big time between Christmas and New Year last. I went over to using my E3 and did okay but I'm now thinking of upgrading to an E5. Can anyone tell me please if the AF module/system is the same as that in the E3? I'm talking real-world implementation as sometimes spec sheets don't tell the whole story. I'd like to gain a little performance if possible. My technique is okay and I'm not shooting at targets travelling at F1 speeds so it's not a huge issue but would like to know. I could always seek out another D2h/s of course but I'd rather not have multiple systems any more.

Many thanks

Brady
Old 7th April 2014

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts
Re: Af speed question

I shoot a lot of rugby, so probably similar speeds of subject. Trying to think back to when I went from the E-3 to E-5, the focus speed might have improved slightly. It was certainly no worse, but I don't recall suddenly thinking "wow this is fantastic". I generally use the 50-200 SWD, with and without EC-14 1.4x converter, and 150 f/2 on really gloomy days.

I think it comes down to technique and anticipation as much as anything. Both of which I find rather elusive

Ciao ... John
Old 7th April 2014

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Brad, you do not mention which lenses you are currently using. If you are looking for AF improvement then the SWD lenses mentioned by John do make difference.
Old 7th April 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies chaps.
I have a number of Olympus 4/3 lenses but in this instance 70-300 and 50-200 non... In fact I was toying with keeping the E3 and investing in a 50-200 SWD instead. I had considered the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 but I've not had a great deal of luck with Sigma lenses in the past. Decisions, decisions...

Brady
Old 7th April 2014

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

I had the 50-200 first version (non-SWD) then picked up an SWD from this forum, and it is noticeably faster to focus. Both versions are cracking optical quality, just a bit slow aperture-wise at the long end.

Ciao ... John