Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 13th January 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Exclamation More Olympus kit to come "Teaser" @ CES 2014

Just a little hint at future products

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1263...-in-las-vegas#

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 13th January 2014

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: More Olympus kit to come "Teaser" @ CES 2014

good to see Mark working so hard..........

suspect that will be a 40-150; although the suggestion that they will have one to give away would put it at a lower price point than I'm expecting (or Mark's budget has gone up again)
Old 13th January 2014

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Pah! Ok for those who have funds to spare, but not a lot of use to someone like me!

I fell (whoops!) for the advertising for the E-Series cameras when I came into a little inheritance...so, I bought myself a lovely e520 and then followed it up with an e510 as a spare. I did a LOT of research and trying out cameras but in the end decided that my Oly's just felt right...decision made...I simply didn't do enough research into future upgrades. I must have made that salesman's day!

Oh my...if only I'd been a little more savvy and had a crystal ball! I was new to it all...I didn't realise that 4/3 was on the way out..I naively assumed that I'd be able to upgrade as I went along. Yes, for sure, I could have, but the E5 as the next step up? It was WAY over my budget...

Would I buy into Olympus again? Not on your life...

...unfortunately I don't have a choice now, so have to make the most of what I've got....when my cameras die, that will probably be my photography journey finished...

I really think that Olympus have let down a lot of their users.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (13th January 2014), pvasc (13th January 2014), Roy Clarke (13th January 2014), rsh1960 (14th January 2014)
Old 13th January 2014

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Pah! Ok for those who have funds to spare, but not a lot of use to someone like me!

I fell (whoops!) for the advertising for the E-Series cameras when I came into a little inheritance...so, I bought myself a lovely e520 and then followed it up with an e510 as a spare. I did a LOT of research and trying out cameras but in the end decided that my Oly's just felt right...decision made...I simply didn't do enough research into future upgrades. I must have made that salesman's day!

Oh my...if only I'd been a little more savvy and had a crystal ball! I was new to it all...I didn't realise that 4/3 was on the way out..I naively assumed that I'd be able to upgrade as I went along. Yes, for sure, I could have, but the E5 as the next step up? It was WAY over my budget...

...unfortunately I don't have a choice now, so have to make the most of what I've got....when my cameras die, that will probably be my photography journey finished...

Janet
We seem to be in the same boat...... I fell for it as well, with even this site saying the 4/3 system was safe when i bought into it. Like you when my e-600 dies at least i can look at all the options out there.

Steve
Old 13th January 2014

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

There will be quite a lot of mainline 4/3rds camera on the used market for quite a while. The prices will go down and there will be plenty of lenses for you to buy.
Old 13th January 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I was about to quit Olympus because I perceived the development of the E3 to E5 to be at the expense of the smaller bodies, which is why I moved from Canon in the first place. Luckily m4/3 came out and I'm glad I stayed with Olympus.

Just shows we all have different priorities. But I certainly wouldn't want to rub other peoples noses in it by crowing about "my camera's better than yours". It's a hobby, not a war!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 13th January 2014

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I used to own an E-620 and gripe the same - why doesn't Olympus release an upgrade, why have they screwed me so, then I decided, whatever, sold my Olympus kit and bought into m4/3. It's great! Now I don't get the griping. The main reason to buy into the small sensor of Olympus DSLRs was size of cameras and lenses. m4/3 finally delivers on that, and delivers handsomely.

I understand that there are some niches that are still not filled. There is no 50-200mm replacement. If you're using the 300mm f/2.8 you're not likely to get a balanced body.

But if you're using DSLRs like the E-xxx series and cheap lenses, you're definitely going to be better served by m4/3, even by one of the small cameras like the E-PL5.

m4/3 cameras also lose value at astronomical speed. I paid more for a brand new Olympus E-410 than I did for a used Olympus E-M5. Sell your gear while it still has some value and move to m4/3.

The Following User Liked This Post:
Ian (13th January 2014)
Old 13th January 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,693 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:

Janet
Janet, while I have some sympathy for your point I think you are unfairly overlooking several rather fundamental points.

1. Olympus have worked as hard as anyone to make the new generation of cameras compatible with the older generation.
2. If Olympus had not adopted Micro Four Thirds there is a school of thought that believes Olympus as a camera maker might not exist today.
3. Micro Four Thirds now has the backing of Panasonic and, indirectly, Sony (sensors and investment in Olympus itself), as well as Sigma (lenses) and a growing list of other manufacturers. Micro Four Thirds is the the leading mirrorless system camera platform by some margin. If you see a risk in investing in that then you are a very cautious person indeed.

Also, you bought a couple of excellent cameras from their time, but they are not a massive investment compared to an E-3 or an E-5 and your cameras still, I trust continue to work well and you can still buy a wide range of brand new lenses and accessories for your cameras.

Do you feel Olympus deliberately decided to let people down? In the end if a product line is not commercially viable despite good performance and specification the manufacturer has to react and produce something customers really want to buy.

Look at Contax - they produced the first full frame DSLR and a year or so later they pulled out of the market completely.

Maybe your trust in Olympus has been exhausted but believe me, that's not for want of their trying to do the right thing on and I believe the majority of members here have benefited or will benefit from this commitment in the end.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Melaka (13th January 2014), Pierre L (14th January 2014)
cinders (17th January 2014), George Dorn (13th January 2014), Graham_of_Rainham (13th January 2014), Paul19 (14th January 2014), StephenL (13th January 2014)
Old 13th January 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,693 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
We seem to be in the same boat...... I fell for it as well, with even this site saying the 4/3 system was safe when i bought into it. Like you when my e-600 dies at least i can look at all the options out there.

Steve
It's my belief that Olympus remains very conscious of the need to provide a replacement camera for the who bought the more affordable Four Thirds models, like you and Janet. Within the next month I believe we'll have some proof of my hunch.

As with the E-M1 - if you want and optical viewfinder DSLR there is no chance of your wish being satisfied but I very much hope that more affordable alternative to the E-M1 will be here soon.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 13th January 2014

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

Must say that I think Olympus have it right now with the OM-D series. I too used an OM 1 and bought into Oly because I knew the quality of the glass. I was clueless when it came to sensor size, noise ETC and bought an E-300 which I still have. I went thru from E-1 to E330, E-3, E-5 and now the OMD series.
I don't feel let down, but can understand how others might feel when there doesn't seem any more E series on the horizon.
Old 13th January 2014

Liked 325 Times in 157 Posts

Who says FT is dead I think they are wrong. I still have OM glass which I occasionally use as a reserving lens on my FT/mFT lenses. I say good glass never dies, it just gets cheaper if the system is replaced.

I shared Janet's view for a while at appearing to drop FT. But I could not afford to buy into another system with an efl of 400mm f3.5. I was fortunate enough to be able to buy an EM1 and keep my E5 so I have a foot in both camps and my FT lenses work on both

After my film days I brought the Olympus c765UZ and when I looked for a DSLR I opted for the E3. In some respects I was a little disappointed with its functionality then but not its picture quality. So I got use to the OVF. I think that the EM1 is the camera I wanted to buy back in 2008. I actually think Olympus designers are more realistic in what people want to use for photography. I also think that 300mm (efl 600mm) is the longest lens that can be used handheld for best results and that's why you will not see anything greater than 300mm from Olympus. Big heavy lenses and bodies have a limited appeal now IMHO.

The camera has to be a size and weight that fits in peoples hands comfortably, with enough controls to do those things photographers love to tweak.

yes I think that Olympus are doing the right things and lets hope there is more better things to come.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 13th January 2014

Liked 102 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:

Janet
I too was very disappointed to hear that the PEN was the replacement for the E-xxx series going forward, a couple of years back. Seriously considered jumping ship to Nikon. After all I had been through this with Minolta. Then I found a reasonable E-30 & swapped my E-510. But there was no way I would ever shoot one of those glorified point and shoot PENS. Yeah, uh huh, well I bought the PL-1 for 199, and pretty much never looked back. There is nothing like seeing the shot, or at least seeing a real time histogram as you compose the shot. The new sensor in my PL-5 I just can't believe. I have made a couple of big booboo's.

The first I thought I was at ISO6400, but was 25,600 and it was a night picture of a Pub. Well I didn't and still don't see any noise in the image, that was with factory settings, and JPEG.

This weekend I was totally off the mark, had some pictures 2 stops under exposed, shot in RAW and was able to recover them. Yes there was noise but no more than you would expect at ISO800.

With this ability, ( I use the PL-5 now), plus what the new M-1 brings to the table, and all of the lenses now out there, I don't see m4/3 going away for a while. I do think we will see big improvements in features and sensor tech making 4/3 lenses work even better.

Nobody has a crystal ball, and it would really be great if we knew what the future holds, but we don't. Who knows tomorrow, or the day after you buy into one of the big 3 they could go belly up, or totally change.

The M-1, by the way, feels a whole lot like the 510, with a bunch more function literally at your finger tips. Yes it's expensive....no I don't think it's over priced, after all I saw the E-5 still going at 1400+ that to me is over priced for what it is now.
cinders (17th January 2014), Olybirder (13th January 2014)
Old 13th January 2014

Quote:
Also, you bought a couple of excellent cameras from their time, but they are not a massive investment compared to an E-3 or an E-5 and your cameras still, I trust continue to work well and you can still buy a wide range of brand new lenses and accessories for your cameras.
Sorry, but I can't go along with that and I did find your comment a bit condescending...maybe not a massive investment for you, but for me it took every penny of my little inheritance...

For me at the time (2009), my e520 WAS a massive investment...with the 35mm macro lens and various accessories it was approaching £900 for my initial outlay - I'm sure the salesman saw me coming!

My point is that the price difference between my e520 and the next possible upgrade to the e5 was just simply too much and has left me looking at my camera and thinking...."Why did I....?"

As for buying brand new lenses and accessories? That's not really sensible when my cameras are starting to act their age and I know there isn't an affordable upgrade body available to me. The lenses available cost far more than my camera is worth!

I am simply going to have to use them until they drop and carry on making the most of the older MF lenses that are available.

I'm not prepared (even if I could afford to) to switch to one of the newer, smaller, Olympus cameras. I like the look and feel of a proper DSLR...much of the pleasure I get in using my cameras is the simply lovely feel and handling.

I can't get that with Olympus any more...

I've certainly had great value from my e520 and the second hand e510 I bought as a backup...I'm just very disillusioned that now they are both showing signs of failing, there is no affordable upgrade from Olympus.

Janet

Old 13th January 2014

Quote:
It's my belief that Olympus remains very conscious of the need to provide a replacement camera for the who bought the more affordable Four Thirds models, like you and Janet. Within the next month I believe we'll have some proof of my hunch.
Sorry, I missed this comment first time round.

I do hope that you are right...

Janet

Old 13th January 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

While I have every sympathy for you Janet, photography is and always has been an expensive hobby. No matter which digital marque you buy into, at some point you'll be faced with an expensive replacement bill. The only way round that is to go back to the type of camera which seems more robust - the film camera. But then you are saddled with the continued expense of the media. And don't forget you can still use your older Olympus manual lenses on the m4/3 cameras - dare I suggest with greater ease than on 4/3 bodies. As for m4/3 obsolescence - as has already been pointed out, more companies have invested in m4/3 bodies than any other system.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site