Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 26th May 2008
Scapula Memory

Winchester Cathedral.

A few shots from inside Winchester Cathedral captured yesterday. At one point I briefly looked down and noticed I was standing on Jane Austen`s grave. Anyway these are hand held at 400 ISO and as is the E1s Achilles heel they were noisier than Motorhead with Marshalls.

My outside shots were OK composition wise and for exposure but ruined by the noise as I forgot to switch back to custom function 1 I set for normal daylight shots using 100 ISO So will not be posting here. Neat Image is good but could not cope with the brick work outside the Cathedral or on shot 3, it turned it to slush even at 30%

comments/criticisms welcome.

1/

2/

3/

4/

5/

6/
Old 26th May 2008

Liked 788 Times in 271 Posts
Re: Winchester Cathedral.

I think you have some really good shots. One of my favourite type of taking pix is stain glass and I think you have done well with yours. Congrats.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 27th May 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice shots - I particularly like the crypt and the choir stalls.

I love Winchester Cathedral - went to a performance of "Messiah" there once - magic!
Old 27th May 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Winchester is one of my favourite cathedrals, but I haven't ever been inside with my camera. I'm going to have to make the effort some day. About how many hours do you think I'd need?

I think all the pictures are lovely, but the two I like best are for different reasons.

I like the Gormley statue, I think it's probably my favourite and suits the surroundings perfectly. I like the pattern made by the moisture on the floor too, it's unusual.

The other one is the last picture of the two seats. Because of the rumpled cushions they look almost as if they've been moved from somebody's house. All that's missing is an empty coffee cup on the tables. The picture has a nice, comfy and homely feel to it.
Old 27th May 2008

Liked 1,290 Times in 498 Posts

This is scarey: I took a picture of the Gormley statue some years ago, very similar to yours. Its in my "churchspace" gallery - and comparing the two images...

He's moved slightly !!

Explanations on a postcard please

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 27th May 2008

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
This is scarey: I took a picture of the Gormley statue some years ago, very similar to yours. Its in my "churchspace" gallery - and comparing the two images...

He's moved slightly !!

Explanations on a postcard please

Pete
If you look on the cathedral's own website, you'll find a similar shot with the statue up to his ankles in water. Apparently, the crypt still floods occasionally. Is this the answer

Andrew
Old 27th May 2008
Scapula Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
Winchester is one of my favourite cathedrals, but I haven't ever been inside with my camera. I'm going to have to make the effort some day. About how many hours do you think I'd need?
Thanks to all for your comments. Ellie if I took a tripod I could spend hours and hours in there, there really is some fantastic scope for pictures. All in all I spent about 1 hour in there, casually snapping where possible. Luckily I was on my own in the crypt for the statue shot.....pretty cold down there as well, but there is a railing to rest your camera on to cure camera shake.

I would suggest a good 1.5 to 2 hours in there should be enough, be prepared for low light, very tricky light around windows and of course other people

Pete....I cant explain any movement on the statue.....but of course stories about crypts and strange things.....

That was my first visit there and have vowed to go back to this fantastic building ( without the kids! ) and see what can be done.
Old 29th May 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post
Thanks to all for your comments. Ellie if I took a tripod I could spend hours and hours in there, there really is some fantastic scope for pictures. All in all I spent about 1 hour in there, casually snapping where possible. Luckily I was on my own in the crypt for the statue shot.....pretty cold down there as well, but there is a railing to rest your camera on to cure camera shake.

I would suggest a good 1.5 to 2 hours in there should be enough, be prepared for low light, very tricky light around windows and of course other people
Hmm, probably best to aim for half a day then, I tend to spent too much time looking and I know there's plenty to look at there.

Do you think there'd be any problems using a tripod?