Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th April 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
7-14mm zooms comparison.

I already have the 7-14mm 4/3rds lens, but am wondering how much different the m4/3rds version is to this optically. The sensor to rear element distance is significantly different, so one may produce 'better' images than the other, but as far as I am aware, no-one has yet to publish a side by side test of these two.
I would be quite happy to supply the 4/3rds version, and by the way also have the 4/3rds > m4/3rds adaptor, so if someone has the m4/3rds version, maybe this issue can be resolved?

From what I am aware of the history/design of optics in general, I am under the impression that in the past, with ultra-wide lenses, most of these were originally designed for 35mm film Rangefinders, so the SLR versions were re-computed to suit those bodies, and this may well have meant that compromises had to be made. (look how long it took for ultrawides to appear for SLRs, which were already available on RF cameras ... ) However, with digital cameras, placing the rear element close to the sensor, has the opposite effect, causing unwanted artifacts, which I suspect is one of the reasons why Olympus developed their Telecentric optics.

So, is anyone else out there, willing to participate in this rather intriguing and maybe enlightening test? I will in the very near future be getting the OM-D I have on order, but it may well be that (Sadly!) this won't be appearing before I go on holiday in Asia for a month, (Returning 1st week in June) so we have until after that date, time to organise something!

I'll be able to access this forum whilst on holiday though.

Tags
7-14mm, comparison., test