Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th September 2011

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts
Talking A few Sunday questions.

I have several questions. I have an E-1 and a CBB 18-400 f6.3-9.5 zoom. I want to go longer, I saw a post somewhere about a new Canon lens, a 200-600 HS DOH zoom, should I get that? An alternative would be one of the new 3x Pro teleconvertors that are now available, that would turn my 24-300 into a 72-900 lens, I don't think I'd be able to hand hold anything longer than a 900 anyway.

I have a very good tripod, it cost me nearly 20, but I don't use it anymore because my photos never looked any sharper when I used it than when I hand held my camera.

Of course, if I got the Canon lens I'd need a second body for it, so does any one know when the E-2 is going to be available?

I want to shoot a photo essay of my cat that I'm planning on to National Geographic. My plan is to submit the shots that National Geographic don't publish to a photo agency. Would I be better with a general agency or a wildlife agency?
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Old 11th September 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: A few Sunday questions.

I think if you are going to the far end of tele-photo lenses, then maybe consider a scope rather than a lens.

That said, I get good results from a Sigma 600mm Mirror, which on the 4/3rds equates to 1200mm. While I'm able to hand hold this and still get a reasonable sharp shot, resting it on or against something solid helps a lot.

Tripods are far to flexible and get moved by the wind.

Have Fun

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 11th September 2011

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have several questions. I have an E-1 and a CBB 18-400 f6.3-9.5 zoom. I want to go longer, I saw a post somewhere about a new Canon lens, a 200-600 HS DOH zoom, should I get that? An alternative would be one of the new 3x Pro teleconvertors that are now available, that would turn my 24-300 into a 72-900 lens, I don't think I'd be able to hand hold anything longer than a 900 anyway.

I have a very good tripod, it cost me nearly 20, but I don't use it anymore because my photos never looked any sharper when I used it than when I hand held my camera.

Of course, if I got the Canon lens I'd need a second body for it, so does any one know when the E-2 is going to be available?

I want to shoot a photo essay of my cat that I'm planning on to National Geographic. My plan is to submit the shots that National Geographic don't publish to a photo agency. Would I be better with a general agency or a wildlife agency?
Nice one

Andrew
Old 11th September 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

I think you'll find the Canon 200-600 will be quite expensive, far better to go the teleconverter route. Don't use the 3x converter, though, I've heard the quality isn't that good. Far better to use two 2x converters, the quality will be better and you'll get even more magnification.

I'm not sure about handholding such a long focal length, you'd need to use a shutter speed of at least 1/125th of a second as the E-1 doesn't have IS. Far better to get a really decent tripod, one costing at least 30 including the head, although any unsharp pictures can always be sharpened in Photoshop.

I would save the shots that National Geoghraphic don't publish for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition.

David, you are awful..........

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th September 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

I'm surprised that after spending such a decent sum on a tripod that you are not getting more benefit. Purely by chance I discovered that opening the legs out helps to some degree. Perhaps you could try that.

Hope that helps

Hec
Old 12th September 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

You need to go to an agency which has a specific feline cat-egory. I suggest you do a Google search for "pussy photos". That should help.

Regarding the tripod, you need an extra leg per 100mm after the first 300mm.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 12th September 2011

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

I like the sound of those 3x pro converters.

If you bought three of them and stacked them behind a 14-54 (which is a very good lens) then surely you get 378-1548mm which is surely enough for anyone.

Regarding tripods, I can see where I made my mistake. I spent 15 on mine, and I thought it was a good one.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 12th September 2011

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I would save the shots that National Geographic don't publish for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition.

David, you are awful..........
Yeah, that's about the level of Game Farm Photographer of the Year these days from what I hear.

The post was originally on photo.net in the 90's when there weren't many photo forums on the internet. It was deleted after a while from there.

I rewrote slightly it to bring it more up to date.

I'm surprised no one has asked about the lenses mentioned.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.