Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 9th May 2011

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Re: Hatfield Forest Meet

Well I got back from Canada yesterday after nearly 3 weeks away and although no buttercups in the garden the grass was knee deep and the roses are in full flower!

Well back to sorting the 2500 photos we took.

Simon
Old 9th May 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

By coincidence I spent the evening at the Forest, checking the progress of the buttercups so I could give an update. They certainly are advanced this year but they do have a reasonably long flowering period so hopefully we'll be OK. I don't think they will be quite so spectacular as some years, probably due to the lack of rain, but they are still making an impressive display already.

This should be a really enjoyable meet at a fantastic location. If you'd like to come just add your name to this thread, if you have not already done so.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th May 2011

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Sorry to say I won't be able to join you folks at Hatfield Forest after all as my Hernia Operation which I hoped would have been done by now is scheduled for the day before the meet.

I'm really disappointed as I have been looking forward to meeting some more members (I've only met Simon "The Saint" so far) and the chance to learn from photographers more accomplished than myself.

I hope you all have a great day ( I'm sure John will ensure that) and look forward to seeing some great shots from you all.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 11th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Sorry to say I won't be able to join you folks at Hatfield Forest after all as my Hernia Operation which I hoped would have been done by now is scheduled for the day before the meet.

I'm really disappointed as I have been looking forward to meeting some more members (I've only met Simon "The Saint" so far) and the chance to learn from photographers more accomplished than myself.

I hope you all have a great day ( I'm sure John will ensure that) and look forward to seeing some great shots from you all.

Regards
Sorry that you can't make it, Peter, but you have our best wishes for a quick recovery and hopefully there will be an event where we can meet you later in the summer.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th May 2011
Administrator

As I said, the buttercups are well advanced this year. This was taken on Monday whilst I was doing a recce at the Forest.

Hopefully they will still be plentiful for our visit and the flowering period will not be shortened by the lack of rain (we don't want really heavy rain either, knocking all the petals off).

Names attending so far:

Me
Ian
Simon (the Saint)
Andym
John Baker & Theresa
Barr1e and Ann1e

Any more will be most welcome.

Old 11th May 2011

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:

Regards
Peter I hope all goes well.I had this done about 10 years ago.Not to bad the only problem was when I walked when it was first done I was fine in staright lines but it hurt to turn corners,didn't last long though.
I now have problems with straight lines when I've been to the pub.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 11th May 2011

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

John

I will be there but may not make it until about lunch time.I will be away the week before up till Friday 20th.
I'll catch up with somewhere.

I'll PM you the mobile number I have for you.Can you confirm back it's right.

See you on the 21st.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 11th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
hopefully there will be an event where we can meet you later in the summer.
That would be great, third time lucky.

Many thanks.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 11th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Peter I hope all goes well.I had this done about 10 years ago.Not to bad the only problem was when I walked when it was first done I was fine in staright lines but it hurt to turn corners,didn't last long though.
I now have problems with straight lines when I've been to the pub.
Thanks Andy. I'm having mine done at the Day Hospital by "keyhole" surgery. I was quite happy about this (less actual cutting and sewing and quicker recovery time) until I read the information sheet the surgeon gave me.The first thing they do is fit what must be similar to a bicycle tyre valve into your navel and pump up your abdomen with carbon dioxide to give them room to work inside. Then the surgeon does his work watching a TV screen showing a view which I suspect has left and right reversed, like a teenager on an Xbox. I can't help feeling the medical profession have moved from telling you nothing to giving you more information than you really want.

Regards

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 11th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Andy. I'm having mine done at the Day Hospital by "keyhole" surgery. I was quite happy about this (less actual cutting and sewing and quicker recovery time) until I read the information sheet the surgeon gave me.The first thing they do is fit what must be similar to a bicycle tyre valve into your navel and pump up your abdomen with carbon dioxide to give them room to work inside. Then the surgeon does his work watching a TV screen showing a view which I suspect has left and right reversed, like a teenager on an Xbox. I can't help feeling the medical profession have moved from telling you nothing to giving you more information than you really want.

Regards
To know or not to know, that is the question!

A few years ago I needed an angiogram and I foolishly went to a presentation where the information was graphic to say the least. Being rather squeemish I freaked out halfway through and cancelled my appointment the next day. I was convinced I was going to die anyway. Eventually my doctor persuaded me to re-book, but only after giving me an assurance that I could be sedated for the procedure.

The night before I got very little sleep and the tiredness along with the sedative caused me to zonk out cold just as they were about to start. I awoke several hours later in the recovery room with absolutely no recollection of the op, which is normally done with you fully conscious under local anesthetic!

As it turned out my arteries were clear and eventually the acute angina symptoms I had been experiencing were traced to a severe reaction to my Parkinson's medication, tablets that I had been taking for several years with no previous side effects!

So I can sympathize with your predicament, Peter, sometimes it's better not to know too much. The gas valve in your navel doesn't sound much fun, but it's probably not as bad as it sounds. All the same, I think I'd rather just eat two tins of curried beans a couple of hours before the op and wash it down with a few pints of fizzy lager. That should have pretty much the same effect as the CO2!

At least there's not long to wait now and finally you're getting it done. I'm sure it will make a big difference and really improve your quality of life once you have recovered.

Old 11th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
All the same, I think I'd rather just eat two tins of curried beans a couple of hours before the op and wash it down with a few pints of fizzy lager.

Ah, but can you get two tins of curried beans and a few pints of fizzy lager on the NHS?

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 12th May 2011

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

The buttercups of Hatfield Forest were on the local news this morning. They didn't say much other than they are earlier than normal and if the dry weather keeps up could kill them off soon.

Simon
Old 12th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:

Ah, but can you get two tins of curried beans and a few pints of fizzy lager on the NHS?
The way things are going that might soon be the only things you can get on the NHS.

Fast forward a few years...... Doctor: "Sorry Mr Smith, you need a by-pass operation and we only do that privately now, but if you want to be treated by the NHS we can prescribe you two tins of curried beans and a bottle of fizzy lager. Oh, and I should mention that prescription charges have recently increased, it's now 15 per item, so you may prefer to buy this medication from the supermarket, I mean chemist - oh heck, they're one and the same nowadays anyway."

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (12th May 2011)
Old 12th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
The buttercups of Hatfield Forest were on the local news this morning. They didn't say much other than they are earlier than normal and if the dry weather keeps up could kill them off soon.

Simon
Great, that's just what we need.

Fingers crossed!

Old 13th May 2011

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Well, you all make me feel quite envious. I used to live not too far from Hatfield forest and only ever visited once.
What's it like in November? The reason I ask is that we are coming down in November to photograph a wedding in Luton. We will then be staying for a few days in Buntingford/ Ware/ Maidstone visiting the family.
If I get chance I might take a drive over.