Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 5th October 2010
Xpres

Konica AR 40mm Pancake

I've decided to thin out my collection of old lenses and will be selling a lot over the next month or so...

This Konica AR 40mm might be of interest to someone here as it includes a kit, of sorts, that enable it to be used on a 4/3 body.
It has a deserved reputation for sharpness and makes a good portrait lens on 4/3.

It's on ebay and is in good shape, although the focus is a bit firmer than it should be. Quite useable though. Free shipping if you're a UK member of this forum.
Old 5th October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Konica AR 40mm Pancake

Free shipping for forum users is a good incentive - will have to watch how the auction goes, I used to have a Konica FS1 with that lens - super!
Old 5th October 2010
pepper

I have the lens and Camera complete for sale if anyone's interested, mine is original and unconverted so would need the modifications and spacer for use on 4/3 cameras.

OP if I'm treading on your toes give me a shout and I'll remove my post.
Old 6th October 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I notices Xpres' lens on evilbay myself : I'm enjoying my 50mm but the 40mm is substantially flatter and tempting.
It'll go for more dosh than I'll bid though.

edit:4 off : I can up my bid then... what's the "includes a kit, of sorts, that enable it to be used on a 4/3 body" since that's not on the e-bay page. Washer/ring thing maybe?

Pepper I think you should start a thread with pictures for your own sale... there will be interest.
I got an autoreflex, a tamron adapter and a hexanon lens brochure with mine!
Old 6th October 2010
Xpres

@ Pepper - my toes are fine...

@Ulfric - I have two listed, one of which has the 'Kit'. All it is is a spare baffle with the protrusion removed and a spacer ring cut from a mouse mat. If you swap the baffles, take out the aperture arm and fit the ring - it mounts straight on to a 4/3 body. The lens isn't fixed to the camera, as the locking pin doesn't engage in the neoprene, but it's firm enough to use with care and gives you infinity. The advantage is it's easily reversible so you can use the lens on an AR camera again.
The one with the 'kit' will sell for less, I'd think, as the focus isn't as smooth as it should be which will put some off - but it works fine. It's the one I used on my L10. The other was on my FS-1.
Old 6th October 2010

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

Yes, the 40mm is one sharp lens. It is widely touted as the sharpest lens ever made - Hmm, I'll be the judge of that

I had one and - yes it is mighty sharp at f4 and beyond, its pretty good at f2.8 and its not that bad wide open, but expect slight coma around highlights. But then I am notoriously picky about lens sharpness..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 11th October 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Blimey! One of 'em's going for 42 quid ... it's not even ended yet.
Not really in my car-boot-fair range...
Old 11th October 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Blimey! One of 'em's going for 42 quid ... it's not even ended yet.
Not really in my car-boot-fair range...
Here's the trick. Buy an unfashionable Konica SLR complete with 40mm lens. You might get it for 15 to 25. For some reason people ignore these and pay more for the lens on its own..

Likewise, if you wanted the Nikon E 50mm f1.8 pancake, buy it attached to the relatively unloved Nikon EM camera. Cheaper option than the lens alone sometimes...

Pete

Old 11th October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Here's the trick. Buy an unfashionable Konica SLR complete with 40mm lens. You might get it for 15 to 25. For some reason people ignore these and pay more for the lens on its own..

Likewise, if you wanted the Nikon E 50mm f1.8 pancake, buy it attached to the relatively unloved Nikon EM camera. Cheaper option than the lens alone sometimes...

Pete
Pete,
Funnily enough I've just done that. Googling the Konica Hex 40mm I came across a local Gumtree ad selling the Konica Autoreflex TC complete with 40mm Hexanon f1.8 and a Hoya filter for 18. I picked it up today at lunchtime. Camera looks a bit knackered but still works smoothly, lens is clean and though the aperture ring does not click on the f stops it is still a very smooth aperature action. This was the first SLR I got my hands on way back in 1976/7. Now to dig out my jewellers screwdrivers and dremmel!!
Old 11th October 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post
Now to dig out my jewellers screwdrivers and dremmel!!
Good man :-)

My one lens fettling tip is this: You can never tell in advance, but every now and then you get a mega tight screw, maybe its been glued with threadlocker. My first attack is to attempt to tighten the screw first, just slightly, before I try to undo it. That can help in a lot of cases.

If that doesn't work, then locally applied heat. If that doesn't work, then it might have to be the drill...

Good luck, and enjoy the lens

Pete

Old 11th October 2010

Liked 1,629 Times in 1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
If that doesn't work, then locally applied heat. If that doesn't work, then it might have to be the drill...
I always use heat with the tip of a soldering iron. Small screws are often locked with varnish or purpose compound and the heat will soften it.

In the aerospace industry shellac varnish often used to be used, but there was a 'V' bomber went into the sea in fog many years ago because of it. IIRC some screws were locked in the Smiths altimeter, and some of the varnish flaked off and jammed the unit so the crew thought they were flying straight and level, but were on a downward course.

Jim