Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 5th September 2010
Rick

I just bought a e400 body with no lens for my daughters O level at school. Advice and offers please!

I used to be a keen photographer when a lot younger but parenthood and the rising costs of film processing drove me away. And the cost of a decent dslr was prohibitive too as I became a single dad to my wonderful though high maintenance daughter .
However circumstances has forced my hand as she has decided to take O level photography ( or whatever they are calling them these days, why didnt we have this as an option when I went to school, I may have done better in my exams ). I have a very limited budget as business has been very poor for the last few years and have even had to sign on a few times, mostly to ensure we keep a roof over our heads because of the ridiculous rent I have to pay ( dont want to get on my soap box about that here lol ).

So I have invested 120 for a body only e400 however it has no lens, so I am looking for advise, and offers as I have no idea what is the best one ( or 2 maybe ) to get. As I understand it this camera can take older lenses or dslr specific ones with autofocus, and there are even supposed to be a few anti-shake lens's. Its all a bit confusing to my poor old befuddled brain, so any advice or offers to obtain a lens would be gratefully appreciated.
As this is primarily for my daughter to learn on please take this into consideration. Many thanks in anticipation Rick

Last edited by Rick; 5th September 2010 at 02:25 AM. Reason: To change title
Old 5th September 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: I just bought a e400 body with no lens for my daughters O level at school. Advice and offers ple

Hi Rick and welcome.

Firstly, regarding anit-shake lenses, the only ones available for the 4/3 system are some Panasonics.

For your purpose and budget, I would suggest you look for a "kit" lens, ie, an Olympus 14-42. For a "cheap" lens they really are quite good. But if you can afford to step up a grade, you won't beat the Oly 14-54. Have a look on the forums here - both lenses regularly make an appearance, and you can even post a Want ad!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 5th September 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: I just bought a e400 body with no lens for my daughters O level at school. Advice and offers ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
... So I have invested 120 for a body only e400 however it has no lens...
My advice would be to look for an Olympus e-410 or e-510 with kit lens 14-14mm at a price around 150 all-in. If you can get the two-lens kit and camera for less than 200 go for it.
(Without prior DSLR experience I can't imagine why you bought an e-400 with no lens : doesn't make sense.)
The best lens to stick on your existing e-400 is the 50-or-less second-hand kit lens 14-42, widely available, cheap ... and very good at its job.
The second lens would be the 40-150mm kit zoom (mkI or mkII) available for 80 or less second hand.
You can sell all this stuff for the same price you bought it : it isn'tr depreciating much since the prices are so low already.
Good cameras!
Old 5th September 2010

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Re: lens for E400 needed

Well look for a 14-42mm..perfect lens to learn photography with....
If your daughter has access to borrow any old lenses then just get an adapter...
Nice camera the E400...mine stil gets used
Old 5th September 2010
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
My advice would be to look for an Olympus e-410 or e-510 with kit lens 14-14mm at a price around 150 all-in. If you can get the two-lens kit and camera for less than 200 go for it.
(Without prior DSLR experience I can't imagine why you bought an e-400 with no lens : doesn't make sense.)
Hi Ulfric, to be honest before I found this site I had looked on ebay for some time and most DSLR's were going well above 200 mark, so I figured at 112 + pp it wouldn't be too difficult to get a cheap standard lens. The rest of your question you answered yourself, I have no experience of DSLR's so didnt think it would be too difficult to pick up a 2nd hand standard lens, I know when I was doing a lot of photography with my trusty old canon a1, the more exotic lens's were a lot more expensive, but standard 50mm lens's were 10 a penny. And there were a lot of 3rd party manufactures making relatively cheap compatibles that were pretty good and a lot less expensive. Sadly I see that does not appear to be the current case. I feel that perhaps you are being a touch pedantic as I had already stated I "used" to do a lot of photography, so am obviously operating under my preconceived idea's and experiences. To tell me to buy another camera when I had already stated I have already purchased said E400 does not take into account the fact that as stated I am on a limited budget, being a single parent of a daughter who's school course which I assume you know starts next week, (as most kids go back to school then). so this isnt really an option now. Lets just say I was .... lol

Now I have made my bed and must lie on it. So it appears I need a 14-42, unless anyone can sell me a 40-150mm kit zoom (mkI or mkII) or a Oly 14-54mm for about the 50 mark which would be in my budget,

I thank you all for your advise and I am open to offers on the above mentioned items. I may well then try to source a e410 or e510 ( though as its for my 14yr daughter will probably stick to the e410 for it size ) but that will depend on getting a buyer from ebay to take the e400 1st, so will have to be done during a school break now. Again thanks everybody for your input.
Old 5th September 2010

Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts

I think that you should be able to get a 14-42 for a fair price, either through this forum or on ebay, and that will do you very well to start with.
It's a very good kit lens, and I use mine a lot! To be quite honest, when starting out in 'SLR world' after a break, you'll need some time to get back into the swing of things - and although one of the better lenses/cameras would be great - would you really get the best out of it at first anyway? I know I wouldn't have!

Try the 14-42, and then see where you want to go from that. Possibly the other kit lens - the 40-150, for telephoto work, or as a reasonable macro.

By then you'll have an idea what other lenses might suit you.
I know that i wouldn't part with my basic two lenses, even if I had a 12-60 and 50-200 !!

I started with a E410, and found that took some quite good shots at times too. If you're on a budget - then the E400 is a good one to start with. You can always upgrade later!

Hope to see some of your pictures soon!

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
Old 5th September 2010

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLYMPUS-DIGITA...item43a177a14b

and there are others
Old 5th September 2010
Alan Clogwyn

You may find that on the course they'll focus on the manual side of the camera, so maybe an old legacy prime would be a good cheap bet? I know our college still teaches photography using film SLRs anyway!
Old 5th September 2010
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
Thanks for that, am watching it, at 30 would be well within my budget, only just under 2 days lef and no bids yet,
Old 5th September 2010

Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts

Even if that one goes up to a silly price, there are loads around and I think you'd find one for under 70.

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
Old 6th September 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I used to be a keen photographer when a lot younger ...
Hey Rick do you have any old 50mm lenses from before? Olympus DSLRs are brilliant for using them with an adapter : educational.
Old lens at car-boot = 5
HongKong eBay adapter = 10