Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 26th March 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Green Woodpecker

Coming to the end of my walk today, I noticed a 'lump' alongside a post. Used the telephoto lens to check it out and found it was a green woodpecker. Took the shot below at about 100 yds using the E500, 40-150 lens and EC14. Tried to stalk it but it flew off as sooon as I started to approach. As an image it is not much but I was pleased to see it at all.

Cheers

PeterD
Old 27th March 2008

Liked 709 Times in 378 Posts
Re: Green Woodpecker

Nice, if only you could be closer.

That 40-150 with the EC14 seems to have it's limits..(oops reach) Time to "upgraded" to the 70-300 for the extra reach.

All my garbage so far.
Old 27th March 2008
Cicak

i dont think we have any woody woodpecker here in M'sia.... would be nice to see one closer... i have only seen woody woodpecker on TV from the cartoons

The 40-150 is quite a nice portable lens with decent reach... the 70-300 is also great for outdoor shoots. i had one 70-300 for a few weeks before i sold it off because i dont do much birding or F1...and i notice u need very stable firm grip at 300mm(600EFL).... i have shaky hands

Cheers
Old 27th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicak View Post
i dont think we have any woody woodpecker here in M'sia.... would be nice to see one closer... i have only seen woody woodpecker on TV from the cartoons

The 40-150 is quite a nice portable lens with decent reach... the 70-300 is also great for outdoor shoots. i had one 70-300 for a few weeks before i sold it off because i dont do much birding or F1...and i notice u need very stable firm grip at 300mm(600EFL).... i have shaky hands

Cheers
Perhaps this will illustrate the difference in the lens quality I have been concerned about.

Shot with E3, F5.6, 300mm, 1/640, IS1

Shot with E500, F6.4,212mm, 1/400

The diffierence in focal length is 88mm with the E3 having the advantage of IS and also shot at a higher shutter speed. The dof is considerably different but probably accounted for by the difference in aperture size. The location and distance to the subject was exactly the same. Both shots were RAW and processed to try and give the best sharpness in Lightroom. The E3 image was very soft and could not be improved any further in terms of sharpness. I used the curves to affect the contrast in each image. the crops are as near to each other that I could judge.

PeterD
Old 27th March 2008
Cicak

i am a little confused Peter...which lens you used to shoot at 300mm and 212mm....i tot you used the 40-150 or are you giving the focal lengths in EFL...

i.e. 150mm(EFL 300mm) and 106mm(EFL 212mm)

or you also shot with a ZD ED70-300mm?

in any event... i seem to like the contrast and color of the E-3 even though the picture is softer... my 2 cents worth...

i tried shooting a bird( i think it was something like a humming bird) some months back while it was trying to get syrup from some flowers. it was flying from flower to flower and was gone within seconds... could only manage one shot and that did turn out well

i guess what i am trying to say is that i find birding not as easy as it seemed and trying to shoot flying insects...even more difficult

Cheers
Old 27th March 2008

Quote:
i am a little confused Peter...which lens you used to shoot at 300mm and 212mm....i tot you used the 40-150 or are you giving the focal lengths in EFL...

i.e. 150mm(EFL 300mm) and 106mm(EFL 212mm)

or you also shot with a ZD ED70-300mm?

in any event... i seem to like the contrast and color of the E-3 even though the picture is softer... my 2 cents worth...

i tried shooting a bird( i think it was something like a humming bird) some months back while it was trying to get syrup from some flowers. it was flying from flower to flower and was gone within seconds... could only manage one shot and that did turn out well

i guess what i am trying to say is that i find birding not as easy as it seemed and trying to shoot flying insects...even more difficult

Cheers
The E3 was fitted with the 70-300 lens and efl = 600mm
The E500 was fitted with the 40-150 lens + EC14 giving an efl = 424mm

I do agree with you that the colours etc are better with the E3 but the shots are nearly always soft. While I have a question mark over the 70-300, I have been duplicating shots using both cameras fitted with the lens as described above.

PeterD
Old 27th March 2008
Cicak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
The E3 was fitted with the 70-300 lens and efl = 600mm
The E500 was fitted with the 40-150 lens + EC14 giving an efl = 424mm

I do agree with you that the colours etc are better with the E3 but the shots are nearly always soft. While I have a question mark over the 70-300, I have been duplicating shots using both cameras fitted with the lens as described above.

PeterD
hmmmmmm..... let me dig out some shots taken with my 70-300 on my e510... i remember they were acceptably sharp.... let me see if i can find them and post for you later...cheers
Old 27th March 2008

Quote:
hmmmmmm..... let me dig out some shots taken with my 70-300 on my e510... i remember they were acceptably sharp.... let me see if i can find them and post for you later...cheers
Thank you. Most people who have the 70-300 are getting consistently good, well focussed, shots. I get them if I am lucky but there is another focussing issue when I use this lens. Guess I am unlucky.

PeterD
Old 27th March 2008
Cicak

Quote:
Thank you. Most people who have the 70-300 are getting consistently good, well focussed, shots. I get them if I am lucky but there is another focussing issue when I use this lens. Guess I am unlucky.

PeterD
Read your PM(private message).... i understand now... i guess no need for me to post my 70-300 pics then...

cheers
Old 27th March 2008

Quote:
Read your PM(private message).... i understand now... i guess no need for me to post my 70-300 pics then...

cheers
No but thank you so much for taking the time to look and comment. I have been dissappointed with this lens ever since I first got it but had put the problems down to me. I wish I had not but, until I got the EC14 I could not carry out any comparative field testing.

Cheers

PeterD
Old 27th March 2008

Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps this will illustrate the difference in the lens quality I have been concerned about.

Shot with E3, F5.6, 300mm, 1/640, IS1

Shot with E500, F6.4,212mm, 1/400

The diffierence in focal length is 88mm with the E3 having the advantage of IS and also shot at a higher shutter speed. The dof is considerably different but probably accounted for by the difference in aperture size. The location and distance to the subject was exactly the same. Both shots were RAW and processed to try and give the best sharpness in Lightroom. The E3 image was very soft and could not be improved any further in terms of sharpness. I used the curves to affect the contrast in each image. the crops are as near to each other that I could judge.

PeterD
Peter

I would not keep it. It isn't you, the lens has very strange halo effects and looks soft in the wrong places. I can understand why you thought it was you. That would be my own reaction. But the evidence is sufficient to say send it in. I think you will get a new one.

As you know I bought the 135-400 instead and now just need the woodpecker. I had one in the garden when I only had 200 of reach (nice but small bird!), I am now sitting outside making noises like a bug ridden soft tree trunk. The cat is giving me strange looks!

best regards

Peter
Old 27th March 2008

Peter,

Thanks for your reply, I have a sense of relief having managed to position myself in one spot and the subject remained in the same place, so I had the opportunity to take a shot with each camera. Thank goodness that I had the EC14 as this allowed me to get close enough to the vital parameters for the lenses concerned.

I am trying to contact Olympus UK and see what they make of it. The Tech gys though thought it might be a communication problem between the camera and lens. I am not so sure its on the body side though and like you suspect the lens optics as well. The amount of shots I have had to throw away is depressing as I have missed so many opportunities.

Went out early this morning, well 0730hrs. My goodness, the bird activity was high and I spotted, but did not get an opportunity to photograph the Woodpecker. Also saw fleeting glimpses of the Kingfisher but again missed it. These slow focus times are more than irritating and the sky was clear and blue with strong sunshine.

Let you know the outcome.

Thanks

PeterD
Old 28th March 2008

Liked 709 Times in 378 Posts

Hi both Peter and Cicak. The 70-300 of yours may be a problem. I got very sharp shots out of it and I am pretty happy. (hey it's cheap compare to a EC14 and 50-200 or the 300mm prime)
Here is what I got out of that 70-300..

This is the EC70-300 with a EC14

I am not a bird shooter, and my lowly E-330 do not come with IS. That 70-300 I find it sharp but slow. Flying birds are a no no for sure. I have a whole lot of junk. I tried shooting a flying Eagle in Langkawi, not a single keeper. As for small honey suckers..Cicak, forget it. The only way you are gonna get it would be to prefocus on a likely flower and wait.

Was it this type you were trying to catch??

All my garbage so far.
Old 28th March 2008

Good morning blu

Thanks for posting your images. I would have expected that sort of clarity and sharpness from the 70-300 and hopefully, in a week or so, I shall have it. Olympus UK are replacing my lens when they have received stock.

I would also expect the 70-300 to be capable of taking images of flying birds etc. I posted this image in another thread but will repeat it here. Taken today with the E500, 40-150mm lens, EC14 converter at a range of 200-300ft.

Birds of one colour are the most difficult to shoot and get detail from. At this distance, the area of the frame in which the bird occupies is relatively small. All these things combine to make things difficult. Now, if the true budget lens and E500 can achieve this then the 70 - 300 and E3 should easily better it. Focus times and accuracy should also be on par or better than the above combination. These are my expectations and anything less will be unacceptable.

PeterD
Old 28th March 2008
Cicak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Hi both Peter and Cicak. The 70-300 of yours may be a problem.....

..... As for small honey suckers..Cicak, forget it. The only way you are gonna get it would be to prefocus on a likely flower and wait.

Was it this type you were trying to catch??

No Blu i didnt use the 70-300 for birding. i just tested it on some children playing in the park. the pics came out acceptably sharp but the lens was slow for indoor low light... i took less than 15 shots with that lens before i sold it off....

this pic was taken with the 50-200 at 200mm.... the picture...nothing to shout about...just an ordinary picture....

what i meant in my earlier comment was birding is not as easy as it looks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2250563827_e9c208b709.jpg (65.0 KB, 8 views)