Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 27th July 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Custom Mode options OMD1 Mk2

Hello All, Sorry if this sounds silly to you lot, but alas not silly to me as my OMD1 Mk2 is new to me and my memory not so good in my head..

Olympus UK were Great with helping me..After my Battery Debacle They changed my camera and I got a new one. With the other I reset the camera settings, on this one I left the C1, C2, C3 at their default custom mode options except my 'A' of which I used BBF (my preferred setting). Now these settings are/were alien to me. I went out with my 75-300mm attached and sat still to take shots of 'Damosiel Flys' using C1, C2, C3 and my 'A'. Camera said 283 shots, but today I had a huge surprise and had 562 shots with JPG/RAW. Now I do not understand what was happening and not got a clue what the camera was doing on these settings. So yesterday evening at Carmarthen Cameras, Wales UK I went to a presentation by Geraint Radford: Macro Ambassador Promo. Thoroughly enjoyed it all. Chrisztine (spelling) was there and was a Terrific Help to me. So we canged the JPG/RAW to RAW only. I do NOT do Jpg..I don't like these Custom settings that Olympus uses as it confuses me. Can someone point me in the right direction of good settings for Birds (C1) Insects (C2) plus explain what the original custom Modes do.

I also had a Very Mad Moment at Carmarthen Cameras and did what I said I would never do.--I went and bought the 60mm lens and the Twin Flash STF-8. Alas I did not know as no one pointed it out that it has a Very LOW GN setting. Too low in my book. SO, Do I keep or take it back. ???
Hope someone can explain the above in clear English as I do have slight Alzhiemers n memory is not that good..My Photography keeps me active. THANK YOU.
Old 27th July 2019

Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts
Re: Default Custom Mode options OMD1 Mk2

With regard to your second point, I’m finding the STF8 and 60 mm macro work very well together and havn’t found it to be underpowered.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
Dennis Russ (27th July 2019)
Old 27th July 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thank You Walti---Appreciated...I guess the proof is when I use it for real..
Old 27th July 2019

Liked 70 Times in 45 Posts

Sadly, there isn't really one good setting for birds. Any particular set of settings I or anyone else could give you will be wrong most of the time. That would be more hindrance than help to you. Instead I advise you to follow Scott Bourne; read his regular postings about technique and listen to his podcasts. Also consider going on one of Tesni Ward's workshops.

Personally I don't find the custom modes to be of any use for wildlife photography. I just use C1 as a My Set and load it in to set the camera back to my preferred defaults.

HTH

Wildwood
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildwood For This Useful Post:
Dennis Russ (27th July 2019)
Old 27th July 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks Wildwood..I guess I'll have to Experiment a little..Why Olympus makes their settings hard I'll never know...Canons is easier and Good.
Old 28th July 2019

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,339 Posts
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,156 Posts

Dennis to be honest I don't use the custom settings either. I did set C1 to some aeroplane in flight settings that were recommended by Jonathan Saul at an Olympus workshop some time ago but I've not used it since and can't remember what they were now! hence, to use it would feel a bit like I wasn't in control of my camera, if that makes sense? I like to set the aperture, shutter speed and iso to what I think I'll need at the time. I tend to use aperture priority 90% of the time and shutter priority, when I remember, for things that move quickly. I never use BBF just focus and recompose with centre weighted metering and lots of tweaking of the exposure comp dial as needed. For macro and some birds I'll switch to spot metering but then always forget to switch it back and wonder what has gone wrong with my camera for landscapes! I'm lucky I guess as I've never used anything but Olympus since I went digital so don't have any experience of an easier way of operating. Hope you find settings that suit you.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Obertelli (4th August 2019)
Old 28th July 2019

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Dennis,
Have you downloaded a copy of the User Manual?
If not, you can find it here: http://download.aws.olympus.eu/consu...AL_FW30_EN.pdf
The C1, C2, C3 settings are documented on pages 175 & 176.

Like you I found that the default C1, C2 & C3 settings were not very useful - especially since they all use 'Program' shooting mode. I suspect that they are created so that salespeople in camera shops could quickly switch between them to demonstrate the key 'features' i.e C-AF(All targets), ProCapture, & High frame rate.
Old 28th July 2019

Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Sadly, there isn't really one good setting for birds. Any particular set of settings I or anyone else could give you will be wrong most of the time. That would be more hindrance than help to you. Instead I advise you to follow Scott Bourne; read his regular postings about technique and listen to his podcasts. Also consider going on one of Tesni Ward's workshops.

HTH
This is so right it's a case of trying to give yourself a better chance once you find a setting that works for you then try to fine tune it .as a guide MY setting when I leave the house is C-AF 9 points fast sensitivity +2 electronic low shutter this is with my 300f4 +1.4tc 1/2500 f5.6 iso 800 .
I only ever shoot in Manual and adjust to the light as it changes .
Rob.
Old 28th July 2019

Liked 70 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
I suspect that they are created so that salespeople in camera shops could quickly switch between them to demonstrate the key 'features' i.e C-AF(All targets), ProCapture, & High frame rate.

I think you could well be right about that. It's worth remembering that this camera is aimed at professionals and experienced amateurs who know how they want their camera set up. It never actually occurred to me to even look at what the custom mode defaults are.

Wildwood
Old 28th July 2019

Liked 4,054 Times in 1,861 Posts

Must admit I have never looked at or remembered what the defaults were.

I keep mainly different focus modes and shutter functions on the "C" memories.

Also worth mentioning that you can keep different functions on the other settings, example on the Aperture mode, I keep the focus stacking mode, which saves the Balls***** of setting it (focus stack) from the menu each time...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr