Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 19th November 2007
claireh

Question Advice

I was wondering if anyone would tell me how they think i would do if i was to hold an exhibition to show and sell my work?
Old 19th November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,693 Times in 768 Posts
Re: Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireh View Post
I was wondering if anyone would tell me how they think i would do if i was to hold an exhibition to show and sell my work?
That's a very brave proposition.

You need to consider a few things carefully - the venue of such an exhibition, for a start - and how well promoted it is. By all means plug it here if you like.

But let's look at your pictures; they are nice enough, but a) they were taken on a CZ-740UZ bridge camera so the maximum printed size of these shots may be relatively small before quality drops off. You also need to get good quality archival prints made.

Did you have any particular plans?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 19th November 2007
claireh

Well i have been thinking about it for a few months.

Looking for a good venue around perth and kinross area, it wouldn't just be photographs as i paint aswell.
Old 19th November 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireh View Post
Well, I guess that really depends on how good your work is. I'd also suggest that originality, intuitiveness, style, marketing, PR, experience, and kudos will have no small part in the success of such a venture too...

I commend you for posting this though, and certainly wish you the very best with it should you decide to have a go.

Any chance of seeing your work...?

Old 19th November 2007
beardedwombat

If you want to just dip a toe in the water, so to speak, why not have a chat at your local library? They will very often exhibit paintings and photos etc. You would be able to see what sort of feedback you are getting from Joe Public.
Cheers
Chris
Old 19th November 2007
emirpprime

Also try other venues, many nicer cafes, wine bars etc like to promote local artists. Also artists fairs where you can club in with others to attract more people can be a great start as you're getting established.
All the best,
Phil
Old 19th November 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Any further thoughts on this Claire...? I am very interested in how you approach this and would offer any help via here I can.

Old 20th November 2007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The suggestions about exhibiting at libraries, arts fairs and local cafes are all sound and probably the best place to start.

Ian's point about producing prints big enough and of sufficient quality is valid. I've been lucky enough to have some prints produced by professional imaging companies and it's a bit frightening to compare the quality that they expect to what normally comes out of my desktop printer!

Unless you are very famous, it's unlikely that gallery owners would be interested in a retrospective – you need to produce a body of work on a theme. It's also expected that you write an artist's statement that explains your work.

Have you thought about a web site to display your photos and paintings?
The easiest way to sell through a web site might be by setting up a pro gallery at photobox.co.uk

Another thing that's expected would be a portfolio to show (and leave with) people. I think some of the paperback photo books you can now get produced are pretty good.

Remember that there are thousands of photographers who want to exhibit at a gallery, obviously there's not enough white walls for everybody, so you also need a thick skin to carry on after being shown the door for the 27th time.

Anyroad – all the best – and let us know how you get on.
Old 20th November 2007
claireh

Hi everyone thanks for all the advice and comments, will keep you posted on what i do.
Old 21st November 2007
claireh

Smile Advice

have uploaded more photos for you all to browse, would like to hear your comments
Old 22nd November 2007
claireh

Talking Re: Advice

Morning all!

The rain has stopped at last, i can now go out and take more pictures. I am still thinking on having an exhibition next year once i get all my work finished, also i have found out that the local farm shop are willing to show art work/ photography and that the local summer festival are looking for local artist aswell. So i am not doing to bad. I am also thinking on purchasing a DSLR (hopefully for christmas or for my birthday)!!
Old 22nd November 2007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You'll probably find a dSLR a lot easier to take good photos with.
– Hope it'll be an Olympus! ;-) (Some good deals about at the moment)
Old 22nd November 2007
emirpprime

Great News! Sounds like a very promising start. Keep us updated on how it goes You might start a trend!
Phil
Old 22nd November 2007
claireh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
You'll probably find a dSLR a lot easier to take good photos with.
Hope it'll be an Olympus! ;-) (Some good deals about at the moment)
of course it will be an olympus
Old 22nd November 2007
claireh

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
Great News! Sounds like a very promising start. Keep us updated on how it goes You might start a trend!
Phil
of course i will let you know what happens.