Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 15th October 2008
giorgosmit

Spooky- or not?

A couple of nights ago some friends and I decided to find out if we could create "spooky" photos (prior to that decision, a couple of glasses of Glenfiddich were consumed be all involved [terrific malt btw, will try to acquire a bottle or three], something that should be kept in mind). Well, the rest is easily imagined: back from the bar to my house, scooped up a wholle lot of camera gear, and off to a small woods nearby. We took some photos using off-camera flash and long exposures when we could be bothered to stop swaying dreamily, giggling idioticaly or squabbling among ourselves, and these are the most...err... the least bad, to be honest.

Not, by any stretch, very good, but the only photos I took in a while. Now, of course, we are hooked, and want to try again, but with a bit more preparation. Any tips/ tricks about off- camera flash, long exposures, or the creation of a "spooky" ambience would be more than welcome. And please keep it in a simple, easy-to-understand language, in the event of further inebriation
Old 15th October 2008

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts
Re: Spooky- or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgosmit View Post
Now, of course, we are hooked, and want to try again, but with a bit more preparation.
What, with a bit more bar 'preparation'?
;^)

Jim
Old 15th October 2008
fulhamphil

Whatever you did for the first one do it again, fantastic shot
Old 15th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just goes to show that the best ideas often come after a glass or two!

Cheers

Chris
Old 15th October 2008
giorgosmit

@CaptainD: That is a well-documented and proven phenomenon! Of course, while the conception of an idea is easy, implementing it can be hard, when you are slightly drunk, freezing, and fumbling in the dark (especially given that the other guys keep refering to a dSLR as "the big thingy with the roundish thingy sticking in front" and keep pressing the EC button instead of the shutter release. )

@fulhamphil: Thank you for your kind words. I simply had a friend pose, gave another a camera set with a 5-second long exposure, and I flashed several times from behind the model. Of course, the image was horribly underexposed, exvept for the part that was terminaly blown. That gritty B&W conversion was the best I could come up with to save it- Lightroom can only do so much.

@Jim Ford: It has been discussed, and remains an option, although we may have to make do with cheaper blends