Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 3rd November 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Mersea Winter Meet?

After a very enjoyable meet on Mersea Island back in August I was wondering if anybody would be up for a winter meet? I'm thinking of end of November or more likley begining of December.

The waterfront is very different then and if it's a decent day for weather as the sun is pretty low all day the light can be great albeit it's %^&&$ cold.

Anybody up for say a morning meetup followed by perhaps a warm up in the Waterfront Cafe or the yacht club?

If people are up for it I'll look at tides going for morning high water so we have water rather than mud. The latter can be good however as with a low sun you get a blue quality in the light which cab be great albeit tricky to capture.

If we were really keen we could meet as the sun came up on the strood, tidal causeway, because if it's a calm day the scene looking east with half tide can be superb. Luck of the draw on weather/light of course.

Let me know guys and I'll look at the tide table.

cheers

Hec
Old 3rd November 2012

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Re: Mersea Winter Meet?

Hec

Definitely interested, have quite a bit on over December, but if I'm free I'll be there.

Simon
Old 3rd November 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Hec.
Same as Simon for me too.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 3rd November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts

I enjoyed the last meet so much that I am definitely up for this and an early start for the sunrise is no problem. End of November and begining of December is free for me at the moment and if I can get a date on the calendar that will give me first come priority over SWMBO!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3rd November 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sounds a great idea. I'll try and drag the mysterious Steambuff along this time. (If he's in the country.)
Old 23rd November 2012
Grumpy Member

Really, really sorry folks.

I've been so busy with work, sailing matters and the usual domestic imperatives that I have not progressed this at all. My diary for the dates I originally had in mind have been filled by my social sec so a meet before Christmas/New Year is out from my perspective.

I'm away, in Kenya - lucky me, in early Jan so realistically we are looking at end of Jan/begining of Feb. I'll study the tide tables looking for early/mid morning high water and come up with some dates. These will also take into account 6 Nations games for those of us who follow that most glorious of sporting events.

Of course we will be subject to the weather gods so I'll resort to my usual practice of child sacrifice to appease them Trouble is suitable offerings are in short supply now due to my over use of this tactic so I may have to use chickens instead

My apologies again for messing around like this.

cheers

Hec
Old 23rd November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Really, really sorry folks.

I've been so busy with work, sailing matters and the usual domestic imperatives that I have not progressed this at all. My diary for the dates I originally had in mind have been filled by my social sec so a meet before Christmas/New Year is out from my perspective.

I'm away, in Kenya - lucky me, in early Jan so realistically we are looking at end of Jan/begining of Feb. I'll study the tide tables looking for early/mid morning high water and come up with some dates. These will also take into account 6 Nations games for those of us who follow that most glorious of sporting events.

Of course we will be subject to the weather gods so I'll resort to my usual practice of child sacrifice to appease them Trouble is suitable offerings are in short supply now due to my over use of this tactic so I may have to use chickens instead

My apologies again for messing around like this.

cheers

Hec
No problems, Hec, I know how difficult it is to plan things around other committments - and I'm not even working!

I'll still be up for it in the New Year and if my daughter's attitude becomes even more obnoxious (she's 13) I might just be able to solve your child sacrifice problem!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd November 2012

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
if my daughter's attitude becomes even more obnoxious (she's 13) I might just be able to solve your child sacrifice problem!
No, no - take mine!

Could be a problem though - she's 36 and a 3rd dan Aikido black belt, so there could be a unpleasant tussle!

Jim
Old 23rd November 2012

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

Just seen this thread, must have been asleep.
I am up for a new year date.
Old 23rd November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
No, no - take mine!

Could be a problem though - she's 36 and a 3rd dan Aikido black belt, so there could be a unpleasant tussle!

Jim
I suspect that I'd end up as the sacrifice!

Old 23rd November 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

No problem Hec.
I must admit my other commitments have been getting "fraught" lately so may not have been able to make it anyway. Hopefully by the end of January things will have calmed down and I'll be free.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 23rd November 2012
Grumpy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
No, no - take mine!

Jim
I know when I've met my match. Chickens it is then
Old 23rd November 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

I think we could make it - with the good olde M25 for a day out ... can I bring a puppy ? he will be happy in the car for most of the time
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
I think we could make it - with the good olde M25 for a day out ... can I bring a puppy ? he will be happy in the car for most of the time
As long as he doesn't chase the chickens before we sacrifice them.

Old 24th November 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just figured out where the planned meet is (geographically challenged!) - be great to meet some new folks in the Olympus world when it happens.

James