Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 8th May 2019

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Re: Adobe LR - no more updates - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Performance is no better on my machine than Lightroom, runs something in the background that uses masses of power (i.e processor intensive), when the app itself isn't running. Import of LR stuff seemed good, but machine rebooted half way through, no idea why. Didn't like the way it handled selecting by keywords. A shame, it looks a good bit of software and well worth the money. I think if I hadn't gotten so used to LR and had a more powerful machine, I'd likely use it.
I'm lucky as I was just looking for something of an upgrade to Elements. The RAW processing is far superior to what I have used before, and as I was watching all the youtube videos about RAW they all seemed to have the lightroom version with gradients and other stuff I didnt have, so I realised I had only half the tools in the toolbox.
I think I still have a LOT to learn about the catalog and keywords, I used Elements in its basic form, merely using the star rating to shortlist the images I thought worthy of processing, so I really need to refine all of this workflow now I am becoming more involved in my photography again.

I think I have found what it is that runs in the background. I have turned off face recognition and now my computer is running nicely... so thanks I just assumed all of this type of software was memory hungry

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
The Following User Liked This Post:
jdal (8th May 2019)
Old 9th May 2019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The subscription model is fine for as long as you keep paying; if you stop, you have nothing. I dislike being forced to a subscription by Adobe in future if I want my paid for version of LR to be updated. I am currently looking at a few software packages that you buy with a one off payment. I'm also interested in others' alternative software they are using.
Old 9th May 2019

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Iíve used Capture One for the past 12 years, with Photoshop Elements used very occasionally when I need to move pixels round more seriously. I use Nik Silver eFex, Viveza, Color eFex and HDR eFex quite often in stand-alone mode.

I have an old standalone copy of Lr 6 that I only use to apply paper profiles when sending files to theprintspace.com for printing.

Finally, I got a lifetime copy of Affinity a while ago for the princely sum of £24 on an offer, that Iím planning to use first for some creative image stacking.

So far Iíve never found anything I wanted to do that I canít do adequately with that lot. CO Pro now occupies a functional space somewhere between Lr and Ps: Iím on the standard purchase program, which works out roughly the same as an Adobe CC licence per year, but you get to keep the software should you decide not to pay to update, so youíre not held over a barrel.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
SCoastPhotographer (10th May 2019)
Old 10th May 2019

Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
Until 2009 I did all my post processing on an old version of Photoshop.

Then I bought an EP-1, and found that the only way I could deal with the *.ORF files was to buy Lightroom 3. The old Photoshop could handle the *.ORF files from my E5 and E620. I thought ORF meant ORF, but it did not. Converting the files to DNG did not help either. With nearly 10 years of experience of Lightroom, and processing about 100 images a month, I am used to LR, but really I am committed to it because of the cataloguing system, which would be hard to replace.

I was forced on to Adobe CC a few months ago, and while I manage well enough with it, it is far from trouble free. For example after one update the CC Photoshop refused to connect to my printer. I fixed this by deleting PS 2018 and installing Ps 2017 instead, which works OK.

It has to work for me, but I cannot recommend it as the frequent updates are generally more trouble than they are worth. New CC updates only work with the latest computer operating system, so you may have to update that as well.

I do not think anyone has mentioned Affinity on this thread:

https://www.google.com/search?q=affi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I have no personal experience of it, but it is not too expensive and may be worth a try.
Free DNG converter converts raw files to DNG format which can be used on old LR or PS versions. I use it. A bit of a faff but it works.
I have bought Affinity with, so far, free updates but will that be the case when version 2 arrives ? Seems very powerful but full of features I shall never use.
drmarkf (10th May 2019)
Old 10th May 2019

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

This is not about photo software per se but an alternative to a subscription model or one-off payments. I use some cataloguing products from Collectorz.com (for books and CDs) which you can buy once for a reasonable fee which includes all updates for one year. Thereafter if you wish you can buy update plans either as a monthly charge or one-off payments for a period of time e.g. three months. The software is regularly updated but unless you're a "power user" you don't necessarily need all the updates. If a significantly better version comes out I'll buy say a three month plan which gives me the latest version plus updates for that period (a big update usually has a few bugs like a new version of any software). It works for me, doesn't require a monthly payment, and I can continue to use the software until a point where I decide the new features are going to be useful.
OM USer (10th May 2019)
Old 10th May 2019

Liked 1,397 Times in 360 Posts

Hi,

The issues related to changing SW are related to metadata.
  1. Development settings. For 95% of the photos I take I will have custom development settings. Cropping, rotation, tonal curve/black and white points. Sometimes white balance, when needed noise reduction and masking.
  2. Tags. 99% of my photos are tagged with a scheme that allows to find and filter out places, events, people, dates and even camera gear used.

Changing SW is a no-no unless there is support to migrate all that metadata, which has taken quite some time to create.

Being forced to a subscription pricing model? As someone else wrote, the day you stop paying you are left with... nothing.

I fully understand SW comes at a cost and am prepared to pay for it (and do so already today), however I want to make the call myself purchasing a new version of the SW, driven for instance by the support for a specific camera model which did not exist in the version I have been using.

I hate being locked in and forced to subscribe.

My Gallery on 500px
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (20th May 2019), pault (10th May 2019), SCoastPhotographer (10th May 2019)
Old 10th May 2019

Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts

You don't lose all function if you stop your subscription - only the Develop and Map modules stop working:

https://lightroomkillertips.com/happ...-subscription/

There is confirmation of this on the Adobe site but I haven't found it stated so succinctly.
jdal (19th May 2019)
Old 20th May 2019

Liked 1,397 Times in 360 Posts

Thanks for the information. Still, I believe that being able to develop one's photos is rather critical...

My Gallery on 500px
Old 20th May 2019

Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts

Of course, but if you decide to stop paying the subscription then you'd have made the decision to move to a new software package for editing.

The important thing is that you don't lose access to all your previous work.
Old 20th May 2019

Liked 443 Times in 218 Posts

AIUI You can still export from the Library without a subscription, you can't go back and tweak in Develop.
Anything new you'd need to look elsewhere.

The lock in is one of the reasons I chose to stick with the final version 6 standalone.
Old 20th May 2019

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

There is Corel verion of that aswell https://www.aftershotpro.com/en/products/aftershot/pro/
I think the RAW handling is not the best but as I have Corel Draw then I got the standard version for free.
Old 23rd May 2019

Liked 112 Times in 75 Posts

Just remembered I had Photo Ninja many years ago, lost it when my PC crashed and forgot all about it.
Found I can pay $59 to upgrade to the latest version and that includes updates for a year as well.
At the time I found it to be a very decent raw converter, just downloaded the trial version and it still is.
Works as a standalone or as a plug in with Lightroom, going to give it a go.
My perpetual licence Lightroom 6 doesn't open the files from my latest camera and not keen on the dng converter.
Another bonus is their Noise Ninja software, it has always been excellent and included in the package.
Old 11th June 2019

Liked 855 Times in 241 Posts
Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan 20GB

Just thought I would share my experience of purchasing an annual subscription to Creative Cloud (Lightroom Classic and Photoshop CC) from Amazon UK for £99.99 this evening.
It all worked rather smoothly and saved me nearly £20.
Once the payment is processed you receive an email from Amazon with a redemption code that you enter into a page accessed from 'Subscription - Retail Edition' section of this Adobe website (make sure you are signed in to your Adobe account first).
The Adobe site will then attempt to download the software but if you already have it installed, as I did then Lightroom just opens up and you are good to go.
You will receive an email from Adobe stating that "We credited your account with 366 free day(s) of service. The adjustment will be deducted from your next invoice." They even take the leap year in to account.
If you don't make a similar purchase next year the payment method automatically returns to you monthly subscription settings.
It is also a good way of avoiding any potential price hikes in the coming 12 months.
The linked offer above is limited to the UK but something similar is most likely available on Amazon in other countries.
I hope this helps some of you to save a few quid.

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (11th June 2019), OM USer (12th June 2019)
Old 6th July 2019

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I too have been a long time user of Lightroom, ever since LR2. However I'm staying with LR 6.14 (permanent license) because I don't agree with Adobe's licensing policy and also because I don't trust them any more after they failed to report a data breach a few years ago when my email address was compromised. Last year I started using ON1 Photo RAW 2018 as an alternative. This year I'm on to ON1 2019. It's more than able to do all that LR can do, plus a lot more, without the overheads of a catalog. Well worth looking at as far as I'm concerned. I think next year I'll make the switch to ON1 from LR and leave the past behind (DV).
Old 6th July 2019

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

Strange to hear you went to On1 I tried but my graphics card could not handle it and due to a small form factor computer getting a suitable graphics card was very pricey so am waiting until I upgrade to change. Good to know it is worth getting; I am another who does not like rental software

Ed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?