Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

View Poll Results: Are you getting fed up with Brexit and should we go back to discussing other things ?
YES - Close the thread 21 47.73%
NO - Keep the debate going on for eternity 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th February 2019

Liked 111 Times in 74 Posts
Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Brexit Poster Boy

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (7th February 2019), Jim Ford (7th February 2019), Otto (7th February 2019)
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

Once again Newsthump has its finger on the button

https://newsthump.com/2019/02/06/man...ointing-it-out

Quote:
Man with no plan whatsoever for Brexit outraged by someone pointing it out

Meanwhile the pound has tumbled in response to the latest BoE forecast.
Jim Ford (7th February 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Internaut (7th February 2019)
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 222 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Our government reminds me of a camera club.

Out of touch with the outside world and many years past their best
Change is seen as the enemy, just want to live in their own little world free of youngsters and foreigners
Maybe you need to find a different camera club. Always assuming you can find one willing to accept you as a member.

Jax
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 111 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Maybe you need to find a different camera club. Always assuming you can find one willing to accept you as a member.

Jax
No thanks, rather go to a Warners Leisure Hotel, actually I wouldn't
Just a holiday destination for camera club members
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 1,563 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Once again Newsthump has its finger on the button

https://newsthump.com/2019/02/06/man...ointing-it-out

Meanwhile the pound has tumbled in response to the latest BoE forecast.

He was simply peddling the myth that Brexit campaigners didn’t have a plan. They did…

While it is correct to say that Vote Leave made the strategic decision not to publish a full-on white paper-style plan to avoid getting it filleted Salmond-style, Vote Leave did nonetheless publish considerable detail

http://voteleavetakecontrol.org/briefing_newdeal.html

on what Brexit should look like*, including leaving the single market, regaining an independent trade policy and immediately guaranteeing EU citizens’ rights unilaterally. Also central to their plan was a three-phase framework for how to approach the negotiations, including multiple warnings against triggering Article 50. Ivan Rogers fans eat your heart out…

A former Leave campaigner has penned a pithy response to Tusk which more or less sums up the UK’s current predicament:

Dear Tusk,
Lucky for you the MPs did every single thing the opposite to what Vote Leave said.
You were celebrating when Number 10 triggered Article 50 without a plan or a clue.
If they’d followed the Vote Leave plan and started making preparations to leave without triggering Article 50, you would have been stuffed.
Negotiating with Vote Leave would have been like running into a mincing machine, they’d have kicked you down the street like they did Cameron and Blair.

Then Gove backstabbed Boris, and the rest is history…

If we had selected a brexiteer to lead the negotiations we would be in a far better place.

*Not to mention the thousand-page magnum opus Change or Go published by Vote Leave’s predecessor Business for Britain…

https://brexitcentral.com/wp-content...ChangeorGo.pdf

Oh, and the Pound is now significantly UP against the USD and the Euro despite Carneys best efforts to talk the UK down.

My Flickr
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
If we had selected a brexiteer to lead the negotiations we would be in a far better place.
Wasn't Dave 'Thick as Mince' Davis a Brexiteer, or Dominic Raab, or the bloke called Steve Somethingorother?

I can see that you're already preparing yourself for saying that it's all going/gone wrong because they're not Of The True Faith like yourself!

Jim
Old 7th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Wasn't Dave 'Thick as Mince' Davis a Brexiteer, or Dominic Raab, or the bloke called Steve Somethingorother?

I can see that you're already preparing yourself for saying that it's all going/gone wrong because they're not Of The True Faith like yourself!

Jim
Not preparing for anything if we leave on WTO terms that's perfectly fine by me.

Davis or Raab would have done a better job if they were not undermined by Oliver Robbins and his team and put in an impossible position.

My Flickr
Old 7th February 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Oh, and the Pound is now significantly UP against the USD and the Euro despite Carneys best efforts to talk the UK down.
How do you get “significantly UP” from a graph that goes from over 1.4 (before referendum) to below 1.2 (now)

“THE pound has plummeted against the euro and US dollar after the Bank of England of England downgraded Britain's forecast for 2019 growth to 1.2 percent, the weakest since the financial crisis in 2009.”

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...st-brexit-news

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 7th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
How do you get “significantly UP” from a graph that goes from over 1.4 (before referendum) to below 1.2 (now)

“THE pound has plummeted against the euro and US dollar after the Bank of England of England downgraded Britain's forecast for 2019 growth to 1.2 percent, the weakest since the financial crisis in 2009.”

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...st-brexit-news
Read the post from Otto that I actually quoted. He claims it tumbled following BoE downgrade today for growth. That's what I was referring to. As of right now, it's up on the day by 0.31% vs USD and 0.4% vs Euro. That's not a tumble is it?

Oh, and I didn't mention that the EU is now forecasting that the UK will grow faster than Germany!

My Flickr
Old 7th February 2019

Quote:
Read the post from Otto that I actually quoted. He claims it tumbled following BoE downgrade today for growth. That's what I was referring to. As of right now, it's up on the day by 0.31% vs USD and 0.4% vs Euro. That's not a tumble is it?
It's true!! The pound has 'bounced back' to 1.14 Euros! At this rate it will 'bounce back' to parity before long!

Jim
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

It has bounced back, yes. It had fallen significantly at the time I posted earlier.
Old 7th February 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

It’s long, complicated and disturbing.

But it can explain an awful lot...

https://youtu.be/A6gf5whRuQ0

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Meanwhile, on a tangent to this debate:

If Brexit were a camera system, what would it look like?
Leica. Your wallet is sure to be diminished with each purchase.
wornish (7th February 2019)
Old 7th February 2019

Quote:
Yeah - what does Mark Carney know about banking and finance, compared to a bloke on a photography forum?

Jim
drmarkf (7th February 2019)
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
He was simply peddling the myth that Brexit campaigners didn’t have a plan. They did…

While it is correct to say that Vote Leave made the strategic decision not to publish a full-on white paper-style plan to avoid getting it filleted Salmond-style, Vote Leave did nonetheless publish considerable detail

http://<font color="Blue"><u>http://...tml</u></font>

on what Brexit should look like*, including leaving the single market, regaining an independent trade policy and immediately guaranteeing EU citizens’ rights unilaterally. Also central to their plan was a three-phase framework for how to approach the negotiations, including multiple warnings against triggering Article 50. Ivan Rogers fans eat your heart out…
The trouble is, that from that same web site, (the official vote Leave one) we also have the following; Why Vote Leave?

Here we have £350 million quoted, which I believe was wrong anyway, as it didn't include rebates; I think it's now been widely accepted that it wouldn't all be destined for the NHS.
Turkey joining the EU, was never going to happen in the near future.

Along with other stuff which was at the very least misleading, to be polite.
e.g. We'll have to keep bailing out the Euro, whereas in reality.

Lots of other emphasis about immigration on there, and I've already posted about that previously, so won't repeat much of it here.
That to me implies directly and knowingly misinforming the electorate in order to bolster ones campaign.

How much of the stuff on the first link above was also intended to mislead? We currently don't know as not everything about peoples thoughts are committed to print.

I would suggest that a fair bit of what was written was intended as an idealised vision of how negotiations should begin, without enough example, or idea, of how to actually achieve it.
The official Leave publicity had to appeal to responsible voters; as indeed it did to me.

Absolutely it would be crazy to trigger article 50 without serious research and modelling of the various scenarios.
Who on earth was pushing both parties buttons to trigger it in such a negligent fashion?
One of the things that concerns me greatly, is that the very people publishing some of the campaign documentation, and of their close political allies, were the very ones prodding the parties with a sharp stick.

Bear in mind that VoteLeave had Cummings at it's helm and consider some of the stuff I've linked to previously about his meetings with IEA and what would appear to be an engineered choosing of their prize for a leaving methodology.

The VoteLeave campaign seemed to be suggesting a sensible and carefully negotiated withdrawal in their publicity, to appeal to decent and honourable voters with genuine concerns, whilst many of their backers seem to want just the opposite, and as quick and hard an exit as possible.

Anyone who's read extensively about how the WTO works, must be deeply suspicious of many of the claims in the VoteLeave campaign.

So we have it; the official Leave campaign sought to mislead about the NHS, the Euro, and immigration, and then from Mr Cummings himself;

Cummings himself writes:
‘Would we have won without immigration? No.
Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No.
Would we have won by spending our time talking about trade and the Single Market? No way

Why would the VoteLeave's principal strategist comment;
" Creating an exit plan that makes sense and which all reasonable people could unite around seems an almost insuperable task.
Eurosceptic groups have been divided for years about many of the basic policy and political questions.........."
and a little further down the same blog;
"Even if one succeeded, the sheer complexity of leaving would involve endless questions of detail that cannot be answered in such a plan even were it to be 20,000 pages long, and the longer it is the more errors are likely..."

And next, the most telling for me, given his influential position;
"There is much to be gained by swerving the whole issue. ......"

And still he continues with the campaign.
Perhaps that sheds more light on Mr Tusks comments

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
DerekW (7th February 2019), Internaut (7th February 2019), Jim Ford (7th February 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
DerekW (7th February 2019), Internaut (7th February 2019), Jim Ford (7th February 2019), Otto (7th February 2019)
Closed Thread