Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 28th February 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Olympus Studio camera tethering

We've attached an E-510 to our OLympus stereomicroscope, and are trying to control it via a PC. Tried Pine Tree Camera Controller, but this is too unstable to be of any use. Oly Studio v2.2 installs but, oddly, when we try to open camera control from the toolbar a pop-up tells us 'Studio/Viewer version 1.x is installed. Uninstall and reinstall software. Has anyone come across this problem?

Oly of course are totally useless. No-one in their London office is contactable, and emails ignored. Studio is advertised as a professional (LOL) imaging package. Come on, Guys. Who are you trying to kid.

Why are there so many problems with Oly? Forgive my frustration, but we're trying to make a living, and it aint working!

John Anderson
Old 28th February 2009
Archphoto

Re: Olympus Studio camera tethering

The trouble here is that "video out" is not connected to the USB of your computer.

If you want to use a big screen for focussing, use a tv (flatscreen or what ever ).

Olympus will have to come up with some kind of a solution, but even if you ask them for a pin-layout of the camera's USB port you get no answers......
Frustrating.

I got a file for you with the pin lay-out if that helps....
Send me a PM if you want it.

Peter
Old 28th February 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks, Peter, for your kind offer. I've a cabe on order from OLY Japan (they say it will take up to 12 weeks to reach me - have they never heard of aeroplanes!).

There are more serious problems with OLy; they class some of their products as suitable for professional use (LOL again), but seem incapable of providing a professional service to match. A couple of years ago, I had a letter to the CEO in Japan translated into Japanese and sent it to him. Despite numerous emails requesting a reply, I received no answer whatsoever.

In a recent post to this site I tried to obtain further info from Oly Europe on the new Studio software with liveview function.

I received by way of reply a curt and totally negative response from some German woman. Perhaps I SHOULD have mentioned the war.

One problem with Oly is that they don't know if they are professional or consumer equipment suppliers. A second problem (so I've been told) is that their UK HQ is in turmoil; the lunatics having overpowered the guards and taken over the asylum.

God help us all.

Kind regards,

John.
Old 28th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't read about this particular error anywhere before. The only thing I would try would be to install the OLYMPUS Studio 1.x/ OLYMPUS Viewer 1.x driver - which actually allowed E410 / E510 tethered shooting with Olympus studio V1.5 - which I don't think I've ever seen mentioned anywhere before - I'm guessing Olympus would rather people buy Studio 2 to get E410 / 510 support than find out about a free fix to get older, existing versions of studio to work. Anyway that's going off topic a bit - try installing it, if for some strange reason your studio installation is trying to revert back to a previous studio version for the tethered shooting feature it should still work with that driver installed...

Here's the link to the driver:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...WIN_ENU_UP.exe

Link taken from this page - incase you're security consious:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...ndex_other.cfm
Old 28th February 2009
Archphoto

Paul, can you actualy focus your Oly on the computer screen ????
I have tried that with my E410 and E520 in 2.2 and got nowhere.
The shots I made, yes, but focussing NO.

Peter
Old 28th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Archphoto,

No Studio 1.5 has / had the exact same functionality as Studio 2 - so no live preview on the screen (without the av/usb multi-connector combo lead) and then even with the lead there's no way to manually focus via the computer (that I'm aware of) so you either have to use the cameras autofocus or you can manually focus with the focus ring on the lens and use the computer as little more than a remote trigger.
Old 4th March 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talking Re: Olympus Studio camera tethering

An update on the probem I've been having with installing and running Olympus Studio 2....

After considerable difficulty involving several pints of Guinness and threats from she who must be obeyed, I managed to locate and download a copy of an earlier version of Studio. I installed that, and a copy of Olympus viewer (thanks to PaulI for the suggestion) and, guess what... Studio ran and without asking for a serial number.

Thought I'd be pushing my luck attempting a free upgrade but, to my surprise, installed latest version FREE OF CHARGE! Now running time-unlimited version of Oly Studio 2.2with full camera control.

I'm starting to wonder what exactly OLy are getting up to? Answers on a postcard please....!

John Anderson.
Old 8th March 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Question Re: Olympus Studio camera tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
... I managed to locate and download a copy of an earlier version of Studio. I installed that, and a copy of Olympus viewer and, guess what... Studio ran and without asking for a serial number.

Thought I'd be pushing my luck attempting a free upgrade but, to my surprise, installed latest version FREE OF CHARGE! Now running time-unlimited version of Oly Studio 2.2with full camera control.

John Anderson.
I think there are a lot of people who would be interested in knowing where you downloaded the early version of studio

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...