Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23rd November 2016
Olybirder Olybirder is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 6,848
Thanks: 2,447
Thanked 993 Times in 790 Posts
Likes: 2,014
Liked 3,080 Times in 881 Posts
DPReview full review of E-M1 II

The full review of the E-M1 II is on the DPReview site now. I haven't read it properly yet but I see it has been given a Gold Award although it sounds as if Olympus have oversold its abilities slightly.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/oly...d-e-m1-mark-ii

Ron
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
Miketoll (23rd November 2016), OM USer (24th November 2016)
  #2  
Old 23rd November 2016
Miketoll Miketoll is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 583
Thanks: 100
Thanked 87 Times in 61 Posts
Likes: 75
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

You just beat me to it! Reads pretty well, been shaking my piggy bank hopefully since reading the review.......Price is definitely the main issue.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23rd November 2016
mm500 mm500 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Essex
Posts: 320
Thanks: 4
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Likes: 2
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

For once DPReview have reviewed an Olympus camera quite early on (their reviews can be a bit behind...)

4K is overdue (especially as Panasonic have been offering it for a while) and 2 card slots can be useful. I still think the current cameras offer enough for me though I guess this new camera is hoping to tempt more Pros with some of it's features.

The comments about the menu are about the only thing that worry me: I personally find Olympus' frustrating enough.

Looks amazing, can't wait until it's been around a while and the price has dropped significantly.

Mal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd November 2016
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,619
Thanks: 357
Thanked 506 Times in 420 Posts
Likes: 2,205
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

That's an impressive review result as long as you're mainly looking for focus performance improvements rather than image quality ones.

We do need some reviews from expert bird and sports photographers, but it's looking really good so far (and an expensive 2017 beckons).
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24th November 2016
brian1208 brian1208 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dorset
Posts: 4,561
Thanks: 825
Thanked 928 Times in 741 Posts
Likes: 1,962
Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

I'm not sure about the "Expert" bit but I shoot mainly wildlife / birds and action sport and have mine on pre-order so hope to have some pics to share before Christmas (unless they delay the release date)

Its only money Mark, I look on it as helping the economy by keeping the circulation of cash going (not much point in saving it these days anyway )
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (24th November 2016), drmarkf (24th November 2016), Grumpy Hec (24th November 2016), Ross the fiddler (24th November 2016)
  #6  
Old 24th November 2016
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,619
Thanks: 357
Thanked 506 Times in 420 Posts
Likes: 2,205
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
I'm not sure about the "Expert" bit but I shoot mainly wildlife / birds and action sport and have mine on pre-order so hope to have some pics to share before Christmas (unless they delay the release date)

Its only money Mark, I look on it as helping the economy by keeping the circulation of cash going (not much point in saving it these days anyway )
Yes, I certainly drink to that

Seriously, another factor for me is that I'm not going to be doing any fast sports or game drive shooting until next summer at the earliest, so I wouldn't be getting good value from it until then. Plus I've just got an A7Rii so landscape is now covered.
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24th November 2016
Grumpy Hec's Avatar
Grumpy Hec Grumpy Hec is offline
Grumpy Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mersea Island, Essex
Posts: 2,465
Thanks: 230
Thanked 320 Times in 253 Posts
Likes: 615
Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm500 View Post
For once DPReview have reviewed an Olympus camera quite early on (their reviews can be a bit behind...)

4K is overdue (especially as Panasonic have been offering it for a while) and 2 card slots can be useful. I still think the current cameras offer enough for me though I guess this new camera is hoping to tempt more Pros with some of it's features.

The comments about the menu are about the only thing that worry me: I personally find Olympus' frustrating enough.

Looks amazing, can't wait until it's been around a while and the price has dropped significantly.

Mal.
I think that the menu comments are rather ironic.

Olympus are to some extent the victims of their own success in producing camera's that have extensive control over so many aspects of their functionality and which can be configured by individuals to match their shooting styles and likes/dislikes. This inevitably leads to a detailed and deep menu system in order to accommodate that end result.

For me that end result is one of the strengths of the camera's and the MKII is no exception. It does mean of course that the initial familiarisation period is longer but it is worth it in my view. That is consistent with one of my personal mantras that most of the rewarding activities in life are those which have to be worked on to achieve a good outcome and that instant gratification is usually unsatisfactory in the medium and long term.

For what it's worth when I looked at the menu during a hands on day in Colchester a couple of weeks back my impression was that it is is more logically grouped on the new camera and that once I have got my head around the differences it will possibly be easier to use. Only time will tell of course.

As to price reductions in the future I see that as far from certain given Brexit, the state of the pound and the general outlook. Unless sales are exceptionally good or, conversely, exceptionally bad I think that price drops are doubtful until a MKIII is in the offing. I just don't think that Olympus will be able to drop the price. That's just my take on things of course and open to debate but it is one of the reasons I decided to pre-order even though I do think the price is rather high despite it looking like an superb bit of kit.

Hec
__________________
I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (24th November 2016), drmarkf (24th November 2016), Ian (24th November 2016)
  #8  
Old 24th November 2016
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,619
Thanks: 357
Thanked 506 Times in 420 Posts
Likes: 2,205
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
As to price reductions in the future I see that as far from certain given Brexit, the state of the pound and the general outlook. Unless sales are exceptionally good or, conversely, exceptionally bad I think that price drops are doubtful until a MKIII is in the offing. I just don't think that Olympus will be able to drop the price. That's just my take on things of course and open to debate but it is one of the reasons I decided to pre-order even though I do think the price is rather high despite it looking like an superb bit of kit.

Hec
Yes, I suspect the high launch price might have been calculated so they wouldn't have to increase it so soon after launch to take account of the Brexit effects: they are only just now working their way through the supply chain.

It might seem relatively high now, but we'll see whether that impression is the same in a year or two's time when the prices of D500/7Dii/XT-2 and similar competitors are predicted to have been increased.
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (24th November 2016)
  #9  
Old 24th November 2016
Olybirder Olybirder is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 6,848
Thanks: 2,447
Thanked 993 Times in 790 Posts
Likes: 2,014
Liked 3,080 Times in 881 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

I too believe (or hope) that Olympus has allowed for Brexit price increases in their calculations and we will see other camera makes increasing in price in the coming months.

Another important thing to bear in mind is that, remembering what has happened with the Mk 1 version, Olympus will continue to develop the camera and issue software updates to improve its performance over the next few years. This should make it competitive with its rivals and reduce the need to replace it for three years or so. This should make the initial high price more acceptable over the long term.

Ron
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (24th November 2016)
  #10  
Old 24th November 2016
Goon525 Goon525 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Guildford, UK
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

Whether or not it can be justified, I don't think the high price relates to Brexit. It's high, and a substantial increase on Mk 1, in all markets.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
benvendetta (24th November 2016), brian1208 (24th November 2016)
  #11  
Old 24th November 2016
brian1208 brian1208 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dorset
Posts: 4,561
Thanks: 825
Thanked 928 Times in 741 Posts
Likes: 1,962
Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

I suspect the high value of the yen vs dollar, euro and £stg may just have something to do with the price

That +writing off the cost of developing a new sensor and much else over a predicted smaller volume market

No doubt the "Experts" will blame all that on Brexit though
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24th November 2016
Grumpy Hec's Avatar
Grumpy Hec Grumpy Hec is offline
Grumpy Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mersea Island, Essex
Posts: 2,465
Thanks: 230
Thanked 320 Times in 253 Posts
Likes: 615
Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
I suspect the high value of the yen vs dollar, euro and £stg may just have something to do with the price

That +writing off the cost of developing a new sensor and much else over a predicted smaller volume market

No doubt the "Experts" will blame all that on Brexit though
The poor value of the pound is related in the most part to Brexit. That's not an "expert" view as such but just a statement based on practical observation. However it is also backed up by comments from people I know who work in that area in the city who are planning for a further decline.

Hec
__________________
I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24th November 2016
brian1208 brian1208 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dorset
Posts: 4,561
Thanks: 825
Thanked 928 Times in 741 Posts
Likes: 1,962
Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

so why is the price equally high in the US and EU, don't tell me that Brexit has caused their currency to slump ?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24th November 2016
Goon525 Goon525 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Guildford, UK
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

Just to build on what Brian correctly says, the maths follows. But I don't know why Hec has to tell us about the impact of the Brexit vote on the value of sterling (which no one here has disputed) - when it seems to play no part whatever in the matter of the high price of the new camera. There are plenty of places to debate the pros and cons of Brexit, and this shouldn't be one of them.

OK, so the UK price of EM1.2 is £1849 but that includes VAT. Pretax price is £1540.83, which at today's exchange rate is $1918.26. But the US price is $1999 (US prices are always quoted pretax). So, although we in the UK have often had good cause to complain about US technological goods being much cheaper than here, we would seem to have no reason at all to complain in this case - it's actually cheaper here.

So what are you on about, Hec?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25th November 2016
Grumpy Hec's Avatar
Grumpy Hec Grumpy Hec is offline
Grumpy Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mersea Island, Essex
Posts: 2,465
Thanks: 230
Thanked 320 Times in 253 Posts
Likes: 615
Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: DPReview full review of E-M1 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon525 View Post
Just to build on what Brian correctly says, the maths follows. But I don't know why Hec has to tell us about the impact of the Brexit vote on the value of sterling (which no one here has disputed) - when it seems to play no part whatever in the matter of the high price of the new camera. There are plenty of places to debate the pros and cons of Brexit, and this shouldn't be one of them.

OK, so the UK price of EM1.2 is £1849 but that includes VAT. Pretax price is £1540.83, which at today's exchange rate is $1918.26. But the US price is $1999 (US prices are always quoted pretax). So, although we in the UK have often had good cause to complain about US technological goods being much cheaper than here, we would seem to have no reason at all to complain in this case - it's actually cheaper here.

So what are you on about, Hec?
I was not going to respond to this but felt uncomfortable about not doing so .

I totally agree about the globally high price with the example given regarding the US price being especially graphic. That point has been made previously in this forum and in other places on the web.

However I was not talking about the launch price.

I was actually responding to a comment about waiting for a price drop as a valid option. If you look at my post in reply to mm500 and in particular the last paragraph you will see that I was just giving my take on why I personally doubt that Olympus will be in a position to offer a price drop in the short to medium future. I did not want to just give an opinion without at least a very high level summary on why I have arrived at that conclusion. That conclusion is open to debate of course as I also state in that paragraph and may well turn out to be wrong.

So to be clear what I am on about, to answer your question directly, I was considering the probability of a price drop with some summarised reasoning rather than just making a hollow statement.

I hope that corrects the apparent misunderstanding and we can all move on.

I will now continue to look forward to getting the call from LCE Colchester telling me that my new camera is in.

Hec
__________________
I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bengeo (26th November 2016)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OM-D E-M5 review by dpreview Olybirder Olympus OM-D E-M5 30 7th May 2012 08:25 PM
EPL-2 Review by DPReview Ross the fiddler Announcements 1 12th February 2011 05:24 PM
E-P1 Review now up at DPReview... Chillimonster Olympus Pen E-P1 0 29th July 2009 02:04 PM
e-420 Review up at DPReview Chillimonster The lounge 13 23rd June 2008 06:18 PM
New review of E-3 in DpReview dennisg Olympus E-3 12 28th February 2008 07:29 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:33 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger