Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 16th March 2016

Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Liked 2,347 Times in 1,117 Posts
Interesting article about moving to Olympus

I wasn't sure where to put this but having found it I thought it was interesting enough to share. I don't know Craig just found this by accident.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/12...craig-roberts/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Hermboy (16th April 2016), OM USer (16th March 2016)
Old 16th March 2016

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts
Re: Interesting article about moving to Olympus

Strange I was at a ceremony tonight announcing results of a bird photography competition I had put some shots into.
I came home very disillusioned with Olympus gear. Out of 48 photographers entered I was the only Olympus user and did it show soft, noisy shots in comparison the all the others. This included the entries in the beginners section!
I thought my shots sharp and the noise not to bad, only cropping is allowed in the competition. To get the shutter speed needed the ISO was high just like the other entrants, but the difference was so obvious it was even referred to as very grainy only one other shot got that mention!
I was using the Pro? Lenses but have to admit seeing shots fifteen foot high with a real pattern of noise gets to you when all others are not showing much if any. The crops were minor and similar to others but I am home not knowing what to do next, suddenly Canon or Nikon seem the way to go strange how this reflects with the post above??

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 17th March 2016

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

bird photography is sadly so much about sharpness, counting perfect feathers, dslr, ultra expensive lenses and our little oly's cannot match the bigger sensors and those $10,000 birding lenses. Infact I find many "great" photos of stationary birds rather boring and it's hard to remember how good photos really are and how hard they are to get.

I own a 'little' oly for other reasons past sharpness and lack of noise. Remember, I just sold my FF canon 5D2 and lenses . I'm past the pixel counting; inspecting the file at 200%, I have no need for 30-40 inch photos for my walls, I'm certainly not in the photo market or the bird competitions.

If there is no another photo to compare a particular photo against there is no real way of judging pixel quality(within reason); however we can always judge the actually photography, the composition, the use of light and the likes when viewing a single image. That's what PHOTOGRAPHY is about imo; not how sharp the feathers are as the birders look at.

How good would today's bird photographers be if the comp said 'film only to be used'. For one, there would not be 20-30-50 files of 20 birds to pick their ONE great photo from.

Having preached all that I would love my Oly to have just a few more of those mega things ............... that's it now my $100 Lowepro 160 aw camera bag just arrived; the slightly used one I paid $34 including post for via an ebay auction. I felt sorry for the seller; one $20 bid and I was happy to spend $35 . LOL ya can't put too much dslr gear in this bag but the EM1 will love it!!
Old 17th March 2016

Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Liked 2,347 Times in 1,117 Posts

Ed well I hope my posted link helped to cheer you up. What iso were you using? we all know the higher you go the noise increases and the smaller the sensors of any camera then the noise will again increase. To me it seems a bit odd that only cropping was allowed and no noise reduction. I'd be interested to know what was being judged the overall images or the technical ability of a particular camera sensor/processing engine. If it's the former then surly it would be better to allow noise reduction and sharpening. If it's the latter then the images should be segregated into sensor size or even pixel size maybe. The other thing that should be hidden until after any judging is the camera make and model oh and photographer too. Unless that's done it is impossible to claim the judging has been done objectively. Just a few views Ed to be honest from someone who doesn't enter competitions and knows nothing about it really but I do enjoy walking about with a lightweight kit that if I'm on a good day will deliver some stunning images. Hope this helps to cheer you up. Oh and if not I know you look after your kit well so if you decide to bale out pm me first
Old 17th March 2016

Just resurfaced after last night ready to avoid St Patrick day crowds and take the camera out! I was shooting at 800 so was surprised at the obvious difference I saw. I normally just shoot for my own pleasure and for printing up a maximum of A3 when I can use noise reduction.
So back to normal, on thinking things over and over and over reviewing comments, ( not a go at judges) some were judged to be over cropped some too small in frame etc so judge was inconsistent. The comments were made as all photos projected then winner announced. Some of the winning shots were the same ones which had faults on the first viewing, so take it to be personal feelings for result with technical comments made as critical help.
A lot of the shots had been taken abroad with really good light whilst mine were all taken in darkest N.Ireland.
Probably a bad day for both of us.
Remembering why I stay away from competitions!
Normal service should be resumed today when I bring back a card full of winners! (both of them)
Phil I will put your name on the list, if you are looking any 4/3 lenses drop me a pm I still will be off loading my 4/3 kit no matter which way I jump.
Ffordes / cameraworld etc will be getting a list followed by a parcel. Fighting fund for change or OMD E-M1 MK2 body.

Old 17th March 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
... seeing shots fifteen foot high with a real pattern of noise gets to you...
I'm guessing that was a projected image ?

I see a lot of problems with images that is caused by the mismatch of the image file resolution with the projectors. The PAGB "standard" is 1400x1050 but several places use HDTV and other high res projectors. If the computer / projector is Automatically scaling the images to fit the screen, then all manner of "artefacts" can be introduced by the system...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 17th March 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

If there are two things that m43 is bad at compared to larger sensor DSLRs then it's AF on moving subjects and noise at higher ISOs. Both are very important for wildlife shooting. Personally, despite being a huge Olympus fan, I wouldn't even consider using anything other than a Canon 7d or Nikon D7200 (or better) for this type of shooting. I'm still somewhat surprised that Olympus invested so much into the 300 f4 since whilst it is undoubtedly a stellar optical performer, the bodies aground it mean that its performance can never be truly realised.

IMHO, Olympus (and Panasonic) need to significantly up the ante in AF and noise performance for the system to have a rosy future. There are some technology developments that might get us there (eg stacked organic sensors), so I'm optimistic that they will. A good first step would be either another new sensor in the E-M1ii with better noise performance (technically possible using, say, BSI, but unlikely given investment costs), or a hi res mode that's usable handheld.

On a more positive note, Olympus gear is great for street. studio and portraits and pretty good for landscapes ( at low ISO) and in fact is far more appropriate than Cannikon DSLRs. That suits me so I use it and love it!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 17th March 2016

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi, I don't understand that ISO 800 doesn't look noise to me I shoot anything upto ISO 6400 with no noise noticeable, printed at A3 sometimes cropped in competition which at our club they project the image so everyone can view clearly, we have to submit the digit file with the data intact as well, As I don't use any noise reduction software.

Although at the club I am asked what noise reduction I use, and they are surprised that I don't use RD at all.

I have also been asked what sharpening I use, when I tell then I only use dynamic contrast. So don't know if our club has a lower expectation than yours Graham, oh 90% are Canon users.
I USE EM5 mark II.
Old 17th March 2016

Good news / bad news went out today came back and all is not well. 40 - 150 pro handheld 800iso IBS got soft shots and noise! Like Daveart I have shot high with good results, and today had good light.
BUT I have a strange vibration in the camera as if the IBS was locked on, even after a shot I still feel it. Spoke with Chris at Olympus and he said to send it in he thinks an IS fault and the noise could be from that. With IS off all seems well?
So keeping camera to after the show because when I said I was going and was going for a sensor clean but it was hardly worth it if going on holiday to Portugal. He suggested I still take it with me and let them see it anyway. And on return ring and get it collected he even suggested sending the lens to get it calibrated to the body.
So a bit further on; all shots taken in the last week using the same lens, ISO and IS.
I never noticed the shake but again I was in a forest and watching out for the bogey man and things to fall over and tend to switch off between shots.
Time will tell, i'm feeling a lot better as I like my kit.