Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 19th February 2014

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Computer choice Mac or PC

Haha an expert in pcworld

Don't forget op if you go mac you can always boot camp and run any version of windows you want full compatible

Or even via parallels for instant switching or running windows in a window
Old 19th February 2014

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Technically Betamax was by far the superior system but VHS won the race due to the longer play time on VHS cassettes.

I'm guessing a lot of people buy into Apple for the brand and the Cult of the Mac, go to any Apple Store and the place is buzzing, sales staff very helpful, go to the local PC world and the exact opposite is happening. Apple certainly know how to market and support their products, you pay your money and make your choice.

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 19th February 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini0ne View Post
Haha an expert in pcworld

Don't forget op if you go mac you can always boot camp and run any version of windows you want full compatible

Or even via parallels for instant switching or running windows in a window
I use VMWare 'cos I get it free! Son the younger is a developer for them.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 19th February 2014

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Geez, am I the only person left here who's completely happy using Windows? I have zero interest in Macs and the brand in general... I had to go into an Apple store once for work and it gave me the creeps!

I even run a Windows Media Center Home Theatre PC which stays on 24 hours a day for months at a time, it's even passed the wife test!!
Old 19th February 2014

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Geez, am I the only person left here who's completely happy using Windows? ...
Nope, used Windows for years, never had a serious problem. Not keen on Windows 8 mind. I actually seriously dislike the Apple approach to their products.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Geez, am I the only person left here who's completely happy using Windows?
There is a phenomenon at work here. Pre Windows 2000 versions gave many people difficulties and set a bad reputation. 2000, XP and 7 (ignoring Vista here), although not perfect, were highly reliable. But did not have the Macs advantage of hardware and software coming from the same company. And that is where the phenomenon comes in:
"If you switch it on and it all just works, you are happy," whichever OS you have.
This also goes for the recent slick Linux "distros" like Ubuntu or Mint. Stick a CD or USB stick in, boot and you are up and surfing, with a full set of apps already installed and running in a slick desktop environment. For most people it's so easy. Unless... you hit a snag. And then, unless you are have some sort of geek credentials, you are screwed! And doomed to have to blindly follow cryptic instructions from sweaty on-line nerds.
The Following User Liked This Post:
jdal (20th February 2014)
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
The good old PC/Mac debate, although really it is a debate about the OS systems, I know a number of people who run Mac OS on a PC to reduce the hardware cost & have very little problems.

The only thing as already been mentioned is the OS & machine are matched with a Mac not quite so with a PC & Windows.

TBH I would find a local apple store book an appointment with an advisor, tell them exactly your requirements (they often find the right expert for you) spend your time trying a machine, they often have LR & PS installed. I have found Apple do not over sell but recommend the machine which suits your needs i.e. an i5 is excellent for PS & LR, i7 overkill but if you are doing rendering or video then an i7 is the machine. You can of course do exactly the same thing with an expert in PC World
Great idea, I will do that thank you!
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yawn.... Have we finished this now? Thought this was an Olympus 4/3 / M4/3 forum not a Mac/Windows/VHS/Betamax slagging match!?!?

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)
Old 20th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,272 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
When a computer is working well, it doesn't matter if it's Windows or Apple. When it fails, it's nothing more than a paperweight. Most of the time my Windows 8 PC worked well. But I had to put quite a degree of expertise into maintaining that state. I know diddly squat about Apples, but my iMac works well despite that. Obviously that comes at a cost. It's up to individual circumstances where you want to spend your money, and your time.
I completely respect your choice, Stephen. You are very comfortable and pleased with your purchase (as I am in scooping up your previous PC hardware! ). Same goes for John (TheMusicMan) and others.

However, threads like these do tend to get unbalanced by a chorus of Apple feedback. When it boils down to it there is not a lot of difference in usability efficiency between the two platforms. If you are buying new then you will inevitably pay a lot more because Apple don't offer more affordable lower-spec. options compared to the Windows brigade. All I hope is that anyone buying any computer regardless of brand and platform makes a considered choice and not on a whim.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following Users Liked This Post:
jdal (20th February 2014), StephenL (20th February 2014)
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset95 View Post
Yawn.... Have we finished this now? Thought this was an Olympus 4/3 / M4/3 forum not a Mac/Windows/VHS/Betamax slagging match!?!?
Everyone is being quite civil. And the computer is an important part of the whole process for some people.
The Following User Liked This Post:
StephenL (20th February 2014)
Old 20th February 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
"The big advantage of the Mac platform versus the MS platform is that the software is written by the same company that makes the hardware. With Windows there is a disconnect between the hardware and software makers."

"Wow" didn't know Apple owned Intel. It's a wonder they allow PC's to use their processors

With a PC you can choose between Sony, Toshiba, Asus, Acer, Dell and so on, with a Mac Platform or I-pod, I-Phone etc you belong to Apple end of and you also pay for the privilege. That's the main reason i steer clear of Apple.

Steve
To be fair, Apple is able to tighten the interface code between its operating system and hardware and this can be advantageous. On the other hand, device drivers for Windows are now of a very high standard generally and most users would generally not notice a great difference in normal use.

Ian

Old 20th February 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
Technically Betamax was by far the superior system but VHS won the race due to the longer play time on VHS cassettes.

I'm guessing a lot of people buy into Apple for the brand and the Cult of the Mac, go to any Apple Store and the place is buzzing, sales staff very helpful, go to the local PC world and the exact opposite is happening. Apple certainly know how to market and support their products, you pay your money and make your choice.
I refuse to admonish anyone for buying Macs because they admire the brand or the style - that's their right. But if you have to put yourself on food ratioing for a year in order to buy something because someone has said it will cure all your problems and it's not thought through, that I object to. Yes, Apple has great marketing and support but so does Dell, Toshiba, Sony, HP, etc.

Ian

Old 20th February 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
The good old PC/Mac debate, although really it is a debate about the OS systems, I know a number of people who run Mac OS on a PC to reduce the hardware cost & have very little problems.

The only thing as already been mentioned is the OS & machine are matched with a Mac not quite so with a PC & Windows.

TBH I would find a local apple store book an appointment with an advisor, tell them exactly your requirements (they often find the right expert for you) spend your time trying a machine, they often have LR & PS installed. I have found Apple do not over sell but recommend the machine which suits your needs i.e. an i5 is excellent for PS & LR, i7 overkill but if you are doing rendering or video then an i7 is the machine. You can of course do exactly the same thing with an expert in PC World
You illustrate one of my concerns; if you want a new 15 inch MacBook Pro you can't now get a cheaper model with a Core i5 instead of a Core i7

Ian

Old 20th February 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
Everyone is being quite civil. And the computer is an important part of the whole process for some people.
Indeed they are, and it would certainly seem the computer is more important to some people the amount of time they spend on them in forums, photoshopping etc. rather than out taking pictures - I just didn't think we needed to re-hash the age old "mine's better than your's" debate again.

For what it's worth, I haven't bothered to say what computer I use because I think pretty much everyone has been right - I made a system choice not based on cost but on need and value and long term support, and I'm perfectly happy with the excellent deal (many manufacturers have refurbished stores for example).

In answer to the original question I would suggest you think about what you need the computer for - for me it was email, internet, photo, video and music (MP3 storage and making it). Based on that need at the time it was a no brainer which system and which computer I chose (no prizes, but I bet you can probably work it out). Best of luck when you jump in, I'm sure you'll find what you need and have a lot of fun in the process.

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)
Old 20th February 2014

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

Macs are great but there is no doubt you pay a premium.

Another vote for Dell Outlet here, just bought the daughter a 27" Dell XPS with Haswell processor, 8gb RAM, 1 TB, small SSD etc.etc.

IT is fantastic, hte screen is quality, every bit as good as the 27" Mac screens and has power to spare for photo editing.

Win 8 isn't my favourite OS but seems stable and can be tweeked to be more traditional.

For me the killer is the price. As it was "scratched and dented" it came to less than 800 from the outlet. (Full dell price is just under 1400, a similar spec iMac 1600). The only flaw I can find is a scratch on the caps lock key on the keyboard. I have had three pc's from Dell outlet now and am very satisfied with the quality and savings to be had.

Personally I don't like laptops for serious work, have you considered and "all in one" type system if you don't need the portability but size is an issue?