Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 6th August 2012
Kiwi Paul

Roll forward to 2014

Ok a bit if fun.
Lets roll forward to Aug 2014, what do you think the Oly cameras (4/3 and m4/3) will be like? This isn't a wish list but a guess into what the future will really produce.
What specs will the cameras have etc?

Maybe in 2 years time this thread can be dug out and see who's prediction was closest.

Paul
Old 6th August 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,581 Times in 911 Posts
Re: Roll forward to 2014

Something like the Nokia 808 sensor will find its way into an Ultra-MFT body.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 6th August 2012

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

They'll have 25% more pointless features I'll never use.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 7th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,473 Times in 2,124 Posts

Whether it will happen by 2014 I'm not sure but eventually I suspect the Olympus MFT range to look something like this:-

Basic Pen or Pen Lite. Small and lightweight with no built in EVF and no tilt screen, but touch screen features. Basic controls. Rather like existing E-PM1.

Advanced Pen. Same basic shape as current Pens but slightly larger, with built-in EVF and tilt screen with touch screen features.

Entry level OM-D Plastic body, not weather sealed. Larger integral grip than E-M5 but no accessory grip. Tilt and touch screen. 5fps max.

E-M* (updated version of E-M5)

OM-D Pro. True pro version, slightly bigger with built-in flash (mainly for off-camera flash control) and fully articulated screen. Hybrid CAF/PDAF, allowing use of SHG Four Thirds lenses with full AF capability and no loss of speed.

What sensors will be used by then is anybody's gues, but it is possible that the basic Pen and OM-D will have lower spec sensors than the advanced models, to help differentiate.

I'm probably miles off course!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th August 2012

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

David - that is just a given!

John - sensible selection, but I can't help feeling that your OM-D Pro is in wish list territory rather than a realistic prediction. And just because your selection is sensible doesn't mean it will happen.

Ciao ... John
Old 7th August 2012

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

In 2014 cameras will be made of cardboard.

See. It's started already... http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifesty...osable-camera/

Pete

PS. I want one of these. I missed out on the worse camera in the world when my Elements 10 order from Morgan went astray.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.