Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 26th April 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Focus Group Club Exhibition

It's my local photography club's exhibition

Saturday 23rd June 10.00am - 5.00pm
Sunday 24th June 2.00pm to 5.00pm

United Reformed Church, Chapel Road, Great Totham, Essex CM( 8DA

(About half way between Maldon and Tiptree just off the B1022.)

All welcome, free entry. There is a car park attached to the church.

I've now got to find about 10 photographs to mount etc.

I'm going to put my book covers up because I'm proud of those, and some of my bubble pictures, I think. Once I finally figure out how to use the gallery on here I might put my choices up on that.
Old 27th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Focus Group Club Exhibition

A month to go and I really do need to sort my photos, but I had a quick look last night and where last year I thought a lot of my photos were pretty damned cool, this year I just think they're rubbish. I ought to have a purge on the junk.

I haven't got the mounting boards or anything. I'm panicking a bit, especially as I have to do other things first.
Old 27th May 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post
A month to go and I really do need to sort my photos, but I had a quick look last night and where last year I thought a lot of my photos were pretty damned cool, this year I just think they're rubbish. I ought to have a purge on the junk....
Well, maybe don't be too harsh or you might not have enough left. Remember when you thought they were all good? That's also the mindset of nearly everyone who'll wander into the exhibition ... untrained photo-appreciaters.
So just stick 'em up and enjoy the show.
Old 27th May 2012

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

I will be an Essex bot by then so will go along to have a look. Post code is not correct in your OP, what is the correct one?
Old 27th May 2012

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

Found it! CM9 8DA.
Old 27th May 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Hi Linda,

I missed your original post, but hopefully I'll be there on the Sunday. My Mum lives at Tiptree so I could combine this with a visit to her. Are there any nice tea shops in the village or nearby?

Don't panic about your pictures, it's the hallmark of an artist to be obsessively self-critical to the point of destruction just before an exhibition!

Do panic about the mounting and framing, though!

Have you thougt about getting someone else to frame them? For my exhibition I used the framer on Chelmsford Market and he did a brilliant job. I mainly had 16x12 pictures which he mounted, framed and glazed to 20x16 for 13 each. But because I had so many he gave me a discount and charged just 11 each. I don't think I could have bought the materials for that.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th May 2012
Administrator

My first thought was to combine a visit to this exhibition with a visit to my Mum, as explained in my previous post. However, I see Mum every Wednesday anyway and it occurs to me that this would be an excellent opportunity for a Group Meet, with a photo shoot at the coast in the morning followed by a visit to this exhibition in the afternoon. It would have to be on the Sunday because I already have plans for the Saturday.

If anyone is interested see this thread.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I will be an Essex bot by then so will go along to have a look. Post code is not correct in your OP, what is the correct one?
CM9 8DA

Thanks.
Old 27th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John we do teas at the exhibition. It's in Great Totham North in the United Reformed Church.

I have a matt cutter so I should be OK and use last year's frames. Nobody will buy mine anyway so the frame just needs to be presentable.

Last year I sold one card.
Old 27th May 2012
Administrator

Quote:
John we do teas at the exhibition. It's in Great Totham North in the United Reformed Church.

I have a matt cutter so I should be OK and use last year's frames. Nobody will buy mine anyway so the frame just needs to be presentable.

Last year I sold one card.
Thanks Linda, it's great news that you do teas!

If you already have a stock of frames and can cut your own mounts you're laughing. I know what you mean about sales - last year I ran a stall at a few craft fairs and there were days when I didn't sell a thing, not even one card! It doesn't mean that people don't appreciate your work, though, so keep exhibiting!

Old 27th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thanks Linda, it's great news that you do teas!

If you already have a stock of frames and can cut your own mounts you're laughing. I know what you mean about sales - last year I ran a stall at a few craft fairs and there were days when I didn't sell a thing, not even one card! It doesn't mean that people don't appreciate your work, though, so keep exhibiting!
I've been watching your experiences and it's convinced me there's no market... if you have days like that there's no hope for me. But it doesn't matter, it's having the opportunity to show people my work which matters.
Old 29th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh gawd, I'm now in a tizzy. For an intelligent person I can be very dim. Last year I got some 10 x 12 frames which were suitable for 10 x 8 photographs. They're handy in that they come with an internal frame, thereby doing away with the need for a matt (even if that is cheating).

So I was going to get my next lot done 10 x 8 but I've realised they come out naturally as a 6 x 8 ratio. (This is my E400.) So how come I got them to fit last time? I ought to remember from last year, but I can't.

My brain is hopeless with technical things which is one reason the lens discussions goi way over my head.

Last year I didn't get them printed with a margin, which made fitting a matt round them a bit tricky at times.

I'm panicking now.
Old 29th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorted... I think.
Old 1st June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Printed. Ooooh, I wish I'd made a note of what went wrong last year so I didn't make the same mistakes this year. Shall I put my choices up?
Old 1st June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Printed. Ooooh, I wish I'd made a note of what went wrong last year so I didn't make the same mistakes this year. Shall I put my choices up?
Yes please.