Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 7th November 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts
Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks

Unless Ive missed them I havent seen many firework photos posted this year so thought I'd upload a shot I took on Saturday at Caerphilly Castle.

This was quite a big turn out with over 25,000 people there and finding a good spot to setup was a bit limited, luckly I saw another tog there I knew and managed to share a good angle to take some shots

This is my favourite, would love to know what you think and what could have been done to improve.

Taken on e5 & 12-60mm

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 7th November 2011

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Re: Caerphilly Castle - Fireworks

Yes you had a great location what with the shape of the castle prominant and the super reflections. I haven't bothered with this sort of photography for years (last time was pre-digital) but given a great iconic location such as Caerphilly Castle you have shown that something above the norm is possible. Well done Steve.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 7th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Yes you had a great location what with the shape of the castle prominant and the super reflections. I haven't bothered with this sort of photography for years (last time was pre-digital) but given a great iconic location such as Caerphilly Castle you have shown that something above the norm is possible. Well done Steve.
Thanks Dave, I know what you mean and I too havent bothered for a while as firework photos can usually end up all looking the same, but im glad I went here, as it was an excellent show (plus it was FREE )

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 7th November 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Stunning shot ! as I scrolled down it just got better AND BETTER !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 7th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Stunning shot ! as I scrolled down it just got better AND BETTER !
awwww thank you

Old 7th November 2011

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

Really nice shot.

Looks like a great location and you got yourself in a good position.

Martin
Old 7th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Really nice shot.

Looks like a great location and you got yourself in a good position.

Martin
Thank you very much

Old 7th November 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post

This is my favourite, would love to know what you think and what could have been done to improve.
Taken on e5 & 12-60mm
Lovely shot and would second most of the previous comments. The colours and sharpness of the main fireworks are spot on.

Re improvements . . . . the reflection could have worked better if there had been more reflecting in the pool, but as the fireworks that are reflected are fairly minimal in impact, I might had done two or three things (with the proviso that, as usual, it's a hell of a lot easy to critique than to do, and that this is being really picky but at least it responds to your query ) -
  • with the image as is, I might explore lightening up the castle a little and if possible to make it more key to the image
  • if possible with your location and the lens, gone for an even wider view and got the better part of the reflecting fireworks
  • or with the image as is, tightened up the view and cropped out the pool and possibly some of the left hand firework as I feel the dark strip with little lights jars a little due to its division of the overall image. The benefit of this is that the castle and the fireworks become more central and it would show up the castle more with its amazing mass of fireworks directly above.

Regards
Chris
Old 7th November 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

agree with Chris...the image holds together better with the reflections cropped out
The Following User Says Thank You to crimbo For This Useful Post:
stevednp3 (7th November 2011)
Old 7th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Lovely shot and would second most of the previous comments. The colours and sharpness of the main fireworks are spot on.

Re improvements . . . . the reflection could have worked better if there had been more reflecting in the pool, but as the fireworks that are reflected are fairly minimal in impact, I might had done two or three things (with the proviso that, as usual, it's a hell of a lot easy to critique than to do, and that this is being really picky but at least it responds to your query ) -
  • with the image as is, I might explore lightening up the castle a little and if possible to make it more key to the image
  • if possible with your location and the lens, gone for an even wider view and got the better part of the reflecting fireworks
  • or with the image as is, tightened up the view and cropped out the pool and possibly some of the left hand firework as I feel the dark strip with little lights jars a little due to its division of the overall image. The benefit of this is that the castle and the fireworks become more central and it would show up the castle more with its amazing mass of fireworks directly above.

Regards
Chris
Thanks for your comments Chris. Yes I would have liked more reflecting in the pool, but position was a hard thing with the amount of people or getting bushes and trees in my view

but thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a little play with processing as this is pretty much straight out camera, just a basic RAW file import and export.

Old 7th November 2011

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

Nice shot with a lovely background.
Old 7th November 2011

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

It is unusual to see fireworks reflecting in water and I think this lifts the image onto another plain.
I say keep them in Steve.
Crackin'

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 7th November 2011

Thanks rsh and Dave

I seam to have mixed reactions online and offline with this photo, some prefer the reflections and some prefer them cropped out, for myself I like them in as its what I intended to do but interesting to hear how others see it

Old 7th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Thanks rsh and Dave

I seam to have mixed reactions online and offline with this photo, some prefer the reflections and some prefer them cropped out, for myself I like them in as its what I intended to do but interesting to hear how others see it
I think that it's possibly due not to whether the viewers are keen or not on the reflection but more perhaps due to the thick black line that crosses the image as a result of the high 'causeway' that crosses the pools to the castle. Perhaps as an interesting 'cheat', I'll have a play and remove the majority of the depth of the black line to just have a narrow line with the lights on with the reflection as is below, and then guage people's reactions - I would tend to bet that most 'objectors' would probably then be quite happy with the image?
The quality of the image is unquestionable but sometimes nature conspires to put little features into our views that the artist's mind would perhaps accidentally forget to put into a painting!!

Regards
Chris
Old 7th November 2011

Following my comment above, here's the 'dishonest' approach or perhaps what I might call the artist's approach to your image.
I've cut out the bulk of the deep black slash of the causeway and then cropped the resulting image to remove some of the dark area on the left hand side (possibly taken off too much but I'm just using this edit by way of illustrating points previously made).
Now whether morally it is right to remove the causeway is up to the individual but hopefully this may help illustrate what I feel is the key about some of the points mentioned, and now hopefully most people will enjoy the reflection being a part of the overall image.

Regards
Chris