Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 15th January 2017

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts
What about the rear dial?

My Mk1 needed the rear dial, which had seized, replaced within a few weeks of purchase. Two years or so later, the replacement seems to be going the same way.

Has this dial been improved for the MK2? If not, I would never consider purchase.

Harold
Old 15th January 2017

Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts
Re: What about the rear dial?

People who bought an E-M1 later on seem not to have had any problems, so it is likely they fixed it on that camera and the E-M1 II will also prove to be OK.

People who had the problem early on would not have received the fix, explaining why you have the problem again.

Mine is two years old and has not had the problem. I am buying the new one.
Old 15th January 2017

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

I think you've just been unlucky Harold. I got one of the very first batch of Mk1s and mine has been fine and still no problems.
Old 15th January 2017

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Harold, I think in another thread you said you rarely used the rear dial. It is a recognised problem with the E-M1, so I make a habit of spinning front and rear dials regularly when turned off to clean the contacts. I've not had any problems so far! Also, if you only move it when turned on, you may only use a few of the contacts. Spinning them when off ensures you are using all the contacts randomly.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 15th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
Harold, I think in another thread you said you rarely used the rear dial. It is a recognised problem with the E-M1, so I make a habit of spinning front and rear dials regularly when turned off to clean the contacts. I've not had any problems so far! Also, if you only move it when turned on, you may only use a few of the contacts. Spinning them when off ensures you are using all the contacts randomly.
Thanks, Bruce.

I saw that and gave them a spin. I will try to do so daily. I'm struggling with how that might ease the stiffness but, if it works, who cares why!

Harold
Old 15th January 2017

Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts

So are you saying the problem is stiffness, but that when it turns it does work correctly?

If so that is a new problem, not the normal E-M1 rear dial problem we are all talking about. The normal problem is that the dial turns normally, but doesn't register all the clicks, so nothing happens, or it takes more spinning than it should to work.

I have never heard of anyone with your problem. You really are unlucky.
Old 15th January 2017

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I've not heard of stiffness problems before either, but spinning may help. Maybe Oly have started replacing Mk I dials with a modified part that has more spring pressure to keep the contacts clean?

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 15th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
So are you saying the problem is stiffness, but that when it turns it does work correctly?

If so that is a new problem, not the normal E-M1 rear dial problem we are all talking about. The normal problem is that the dial turns normally, but doesn't register all the clicks, so nothing happens, or it takes more spinning than it should to work.

I have never heard of anyone with your problem. You really are unlucky.
Perhaps it is my interpretation of what I experience. The dial turns readily but it definitely needs considerable downward pressure to effect settings (aperture) changes. I suppose this could be a contact issue.

Harold

Harold
Old 15th January 2017

Liked 103 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
I've not heard of stiffness problems before either, but spinning may help. Maybe Oly have started replacing Mk I dials with a modified part that has more spring pressure to keep the contacts clean?
I thought there there were no "contacts" in the conventional sense, but that the wheels had some cunning electronic coupling. My M1 was bought less than a year ago and the rear dial failed just a few months from new. I have seen nothing to indicate that the M1/1 dials have been improved as there are still reports of failures on other forums. The normal repair for wheel failure is to replace the complete circuit board sub-assembly on which the wheels are mounted
The other question of concern should be whether they have done anything on the M1/2 to stop the strap lugs dropping off. There should be more to a Pro camera than just good images and trickery, surely robustness and reliability should be high on the list.