Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 22nd October 2015

Liked 103 Times in 41 Posts
Re: Hdew

I have used HDEW Cameras and bought from them an Oly M10 with two lenses and then an Oly M1 body. I bought from them because they were the cheapest source from a UK bricks-and-mortar store.
After a few months the rear dial on my M1 failed, a well known problem, and at first I registered it with Olympus service for a warranty repair. Since HDEW did not include any Olympus warrenty documents with the camera, I could not proceed with this repair route despite the fact that the body was registered with Olympus. So do not be fooled by any Oly warranty extended or otherwise, if you do not have an Olympus warranty document it seems that Olympus will not accept it for a warranty repair.
I then contacted HDEW who advised to send the body to them and they would have the fault repaired under their own 3 year warranty which operates via some kind of insurance. I was a bit wary of this but I sent the M1 back to them. They in turn sent the camera to A J Johnstone in Glasgow for repair.
Now I live in SW France so I did not expect a quick turn around. The body came back to me having been away for 5 weeks which I thought was reasonable in view of my location, and being curious I asked A J Johnstone what they had done. They had replaced the rear wheel decoder, they had cleaned the body and the imager, and they had added the flash shoe/accessory port cover and associated little plastic bits that I had deliberately left off when I sent it for repair. They also said that for any future repairs I could contact them directly and that I had no need to go via HDEW, with whom they said they have no business links other than doing their warranty repairs.
So summarising, I am very happy with HDEW Cameras and with their 3 year warranty. I will buy from them again without hesitation as long as the price is good.
Old 24th October 2015

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

Just noticed that Hdew have a sale this weekend, the 12-40 is 449.00 and the 40-150 is 759.00 with free delivery.
Hmm, sorely tempted even though my pension lump sum payout is not due until mid-december.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 24th October 2015

Nothing to eat or drink until mid-december.

Andy

My Flickr
Old 24th October 2015

I'll still meet you for that coffee Graham although I should have my own lens by then.
Nice to have a chat.

Andy

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (27th October 2015)
Old 27th October 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Well here is a nice little test of HDEW. I ordered a "white box" Oly 14-150 mkII that they had for sale at less than 300 new. The lens arrived today but the lens hood which should have been included was missing, I suspect it got mislaid when the original kit it came from was split. I have rung HDEW and they have said that they will order one and send it out to me. That will obviously take a little while but it will be interesting to see what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
paullus (28th October 2015)
Old 28th October 2015

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

As I'm the starter of this thread I'll be very interested in the outcome. I just hope it's a positive one.

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 28th October 2015

I will update this thread although as I said it will be a little while as they have got to order it in which will take a few days at least then a few more days to get it out to me.
Old 31st October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
As I'm the starter of this thread I'll be very interested in the outcome. I just hope it's a positive one.

***Steve***
I am happy to report that the missing lens hood arrived today by Royal Mail Special Delivery so HDEW pass that little (unintentional) test with flying colours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
paullus (2nd November 2015)
Old 1st November 2015
Kiwi Paul

They have the OMD E-M5 Mk2 in stock for 549 so I'm very tempted
Old 9th November 2015
Kiwi Paul

Well I've taken the plunge and put HDEW to the test, I've just bought an Ex Demo E-M5 Mk2 for a what I consider a reasonable 499 delivered with a 1 year warranty

Paul
Old 9th November 2015

I now have my 40-150 and 12-40 form HDEW. I had to wait about a week and a half for them to get stock of the 12-40. All the time they kept me updated and when they were ready to dispatch they called me and delayed the shipping by a day as I would not be in for delivery.
Yes I know its grey import and only 1 years warranty on lenses, but for a saving of over 550.00 over UK prices I'll take a chance.

Andy

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Kiwi Paul (9th November 2015), paullus (19th November 2015)
Old 9th November 2015
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I now have my 40-150 and 12-40 form HDEW. I had to wait about a week and a half for them to get stock of the 12-40. All the time they kept me updated and when they were ready to dispatch they called me and delayed the shipping by a day as I would not be in for delivery.
Yes I know its grey import and only 1 years warranty on lenses, but for a saving of over 550.00 over UK prices I'll take a chance.
Yes I bought my 40-150 Pro on this forum, its a perfectly good lens and I've got no issues with it but in hindsight I should have bought a new one from the likes of HDEW for much the same price and got the 1 year warranty.

Paul
Old 19th November 2015
Kiwi Paul

My E-M5MK2 arrived today from HDEW, its Ex Demo, it's in perfect as new condition so saved myself another 60 off their already excellent price cost me 500 delivered so I'm a happy camper.
Nice camera too, although still getting familiar with it.

Paul
The Following Users Liked This Post:
benvendetta (19th November 2015), catkins (19th November 2015), Graham_of_Rainham (19th November 2015), IainMacD (19th November 2015), Madmischief (6th December 2015), paullus (19th November 2015)