Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 25th June 2015
Floribunda

South Australian Outback - No2

480 kms north from home is the small settlement of Pimba - Population 50.
It services the transcontinental railway and lies at the junction of the Stuart H/way to Alice Springs, and our turnoff to our destination at Roxby Downs, still 300 kms away.

Spuds Roadhouse is an iconic landmark and a welcome stop for travellers heading north or returning from adventures on dirt tracks in the Outback.

These 4WD's would have been caught in the rain, and their owners would have been very pleased to make Pimba safely - and there will be some washing of their cars to do when they get home!

These roadtrains would be transporting cattle from the stations. Either to market, or as we have been in drought conditions they would be bringing stock south looking for green feed.

And the drivers would be very careful to keep their vehicles on the very narrow strip of bitumen in these conditions. Getting bogged means a loss of time and money.

Two Big Kenny's.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
pandora (25th June 2015), Willom (25th June 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
JohnGG (25th June 2015), KeithL (28th June 2015), OM USer (25th June 2015), PeterBirder (25th June 2015), Ralph Harwood (26th June 2015), raymondo (25th June 2015), Ross the fiddler (25th June 2015)
Old 25th June 2015

Liked 1,453 Times in 324 Posts
Re: South Australian Outback - No2

Great series Lyn.

Thanks for posting these.

Dave
Old 25th June 2015

Liked 3,933 Times in 1,449 Posts

Great set Lyn, love the road trains and the "hard shoulder" that requires a boat to use! Full of interest, looking forward to the next.
Old 25th June 2015

Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,467 Posts
Liked 4,242 Times in 1,924 Posts

I stopped to refuel at Pimba at around 1:00AM on return from the Outback last August. At $2.30 a litre it was the most expensive petrol of the trip closely contested by Barkly Homestead on route 66. The spirit of Ned Kelly lives on!

Great commentary, Lyn.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 25th June 2015

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts

Thank you for this series Lyn, you have given an interesing insight into the local conditions out there.

Thanks

Will
Old 26th June 2015
Floribunda

Thanks for commenting Dave, B/torque, Mark and Will. Appreciated and glad you are enjoying the trip!
The true purpose of heading north will be revealed in a future post.
Hang in there.
Old 26th June 2015

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Great series Lyn. A totally different perspective from the one we got on our tour of Uluru etc earlier this year.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 26th June 2015
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
Great series Lyn. A totally different perspective from the one we got on our tour of Uluru etc earlier this year.
Jim - I am the first to admit that I am as parochial about SA as can be, but our South Australian Outback is one of Australia's best kept secrets.
The tourist places have earned their spot I know because they are spectacular, but too many people for us now,and commercial, and there is nothing like really getting out in the outback country away from - people!

I yelled at the radio this morning when some bureaucratic person was pushing for the Strzelecki track to be sealed. Very soon it will be difficult to get that "outback" taste at all.
Old 26th June 2015

Liked 3,047 Times in 875 Posts

There is some extremely impressive machinery in those shots Lyn. I love the two Kenworths but I am glad that we don't meet them on our country roads. Fascinating shots.

Ron
Old 26th June 2015
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
There is some extremely impressive machinery in those shots Lyn. I love the two Kenworths but I am glad that we don't meet them on our country roads. Fascinating shots.

Ron
Hi Ron. A lot of our country roads just have a thin centre strip of bitumen. It is the custom to drop the wheels off the side when an oncoming vehicle approaches. Gets pretty interesting sometimes if there has been a bit of rain!
Old 27th June 2015

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
, but our South Australian Outback is one of Australia's best kept secrets.
Ummm; best not to tell the world about best keep secrets . Everyone will want to visit and that will bugga everything lol

Great set of photos; have to admit there's a quite a bit I haven't seen; but I have in SA for the past few days ....... working mostly around that big veggie patch at Two Wells. Driving back the Vic yesterday there seemed to be lot of overloaded 4bies heading that way.
Old 27th June 2015
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Ummm; best not to tell the world about best keep secrets . Everyone will want to visit and that will bugga everything lol

Great set of photos; have to admit there's a quite a bit I haven't seen; but I have in SA for the past few days ....... working mostly around that big veggie patch at Two Wells. Driving back the Vic yesterday there seemed to be lot of overloaded 4bies heading that way.
Hi Ian - I reckon I was pretty safe telling this mob about SA - they are too far away to pose much of a threat!
Well, Well (weak pun! ) - how did you enjoy these cold mornings we have been having?
Yep - mass exodus north at this time of the year, I would have liked a $1 for every 4bie and caravan we saw on the Stuart.