Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 24th January 2010
DannyH

Image viewer program question

Background: I joined my photo club over a year ago and since I had the projector, I've always been the EID person. They are in the process of changing the size requirements of the images from 768x768 max to 1024x768 max. At the former size of 768x768 max, the projected image was always the same size whether you went horizontal or vertical. With the change of 1024x768, people feel that horizontal images will have an advantage because they will be projected larger.

My question:
Is there a viewer available that would lock in a projected image size so that a 350 wide x 768 high image would look the same size as a 1024 wide x 768 high image? I have IrfranView 3.99 and it does not have this capability. Another solution would be to put the whole mess into PowerPoint and project it from this program, but it would take much longer each week to set up. I would prefer a different viewer program that would take the files from a folder like the one I currently have set up.
Old 25th January 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Image viewer program question

The simple answer at the moment is no I'm sorry to say. Even if it is possible in power point you would have to downsize the 1024 images to 768 max, which kind of defeats the object of increasing the allowed size. That is the disadvantage of digital projection compared to slide projection I'm afraid and anyone entering portrait orientated images will just have to suck it up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 25th January 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Not 100% sure I understand but...

IRFANVIEW has a batch conversion option which can be fired either from the main program or the Thumbnails program - both have the option to set longest side (under advanced options) to a given size. I've only ever used this from the Thumbnails program, it seems to work.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 25th January 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Not 100% sure I understand but...

IRFANVIEW has a batch conversion option which can be fired either from the main program or the Thumbnails program - both have the option to set longest side (under advanced options) to a given size. I've only ever used this from the Thumbnails program, it seems to work.

Nick
I agree Nick you can physically downsize the supplied images so they are all projected at 768px max (you cannot project a 1024px high image), but if you are going to do that why change the allowed size to 1024px max on the long edge, this is what confuses me, you may as well stay with the present rules of 768px max!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Last edited by OlyPaul; 25th January 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 25th January 2010
keithrsmith

My club runs digital competitions and there has never been a complaint that landscape has an advantage over portrait. We just set the rules to say 1400*1050. We do tell members to fill with black if their image is smaller in either dimension.
My main problem is educating people how to do the resize properly, and to get their images into RGB space.
Old 26th January 2010
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrsmith View Post
My club runs digital competitions and there has never been a complaint that landscape has an advantage over portrait. We just set the rules to say 1400*1050. We do tell members to fill with black if their image is smaller in either dimension.
My main problem is educating people how to do the resize properly, and to get their images into RGB space.
The portrait/landscape question never been an issue in our club either. I think we have just about got everyone resizing correctly - but as for colour spaces...

We use IrfanView as a "slide viewer" and it works very well.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 26th January 2010
DannyH

Thanks for all the comments. I had not heard of a batch conversion in Irfanview, I'll give that a try. This issue came up because our club also judges other clubs images, and this potential problem was brought up from other clubs. I don't think it's an issue.

As for color spaces, I have worked and worked to get my projector and laptop to give a accurate image on screen. I finally had everyone in out club come in with multiple copies of the same image, done with different levels of brightness and color saturation, to figure out what works for them. I was tired of a few people always saying that the projected image was not what they were seeing at home. I think that their monitor was usually 6 to 7 years old and was not set up correctly. I finally have everyone as happy as you can get a group. The only issue I have is when compairing our images on the screen to the film slides (yes, 30% of the members still shoot film), our images appear less sharp. I'm using a $800 projector, and there is not any funds to get anything better, so everyone puts up with it.
Old 26th January 2010
keithrsmith

We did use Faststone as our image viewer, but now use Dicentra (http://www.wilburimaging.com/wisoftware/DiCentra.htm) as our competition software.
We have calibrated our system, but still get complaints about the display from some.
I think there is a big problem with digital projection in that no-one can see what their images will look like when projected - few own a projector , and fewer still the same one as will be used in a particular club or competition. In the old days most slide workers had a projector or could look at the slide on a light box have a good idea of what it would project like.

Keith
Old 26th January 2010
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrsmith View Post
We did use Faststone as our image viewer, but now use Dicentra (http://www.wilburimaging.com/wisoftware/DiCentra.htm) as our competition software.
We have calibrated our system, but still get complaints about the display from some.
I think there is a big problem with digital projection in that no-one can see what their images will look like when projected - few own a projector , and fewer still the same one as will be used in a particular club or competition. In the old days most slide workers had a projector or could look at the slide on a light box have a good idea of what it would project like.

Keith
Our club has a Gretag Macbeth calibrator which members can borrow to set up their monitors - a big help. Some of them have problems with sharpness but it's usually lack of basic photographic competence... but we are working on them!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright