Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 26th October 2017

Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts
Re: New lenses coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Well I've been looking forward to the 17/1.2 and at $1199 US price I thought they'd pricing it realistically. That's just over £900 at current £/$ exchange rates and about £1100 after 20% VAT is added.

BUT - Olympus have decided to screw us Brits and sell it at £1299. That's almost 20% above the US price. ********! No wonder the grey import market is so active.
Wex have the 45mm f1.2 at £1299 and the 17mm f1.2 at £1199 on preorder.
I imagine the price might move before they actually release.
Still way too rich for my blood.
Old 26th October 2017

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Well I've been looking forward to the 17/1.2 and at $1199 US price I thought they'd pricing it realistically. That's just over £900 at current £/$ exchange rates and about £1100 after 20% VAT is added.

BUT - Olympus have decided to screw us Brits and sell it at £1299. That's almost 20% above the US price. ********! No wonder the grey import market is so active.
Paul,
They are probably pricing it in expectation of further UK currency depreciation.
So when is your next business trip state-side?
Old 26th October 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Like many others here, I fear Olympus is loosing the plot. Surely the whole point behind the M43 idea was to reduce weight/bulk while at the same time maintaining quality/functionality.

Even in the short time I have been a devotee, I have noticed, and not liked, the increased 'supping up' to a market that accounts for proportionally small volumes - 'Olympus Ambassadors', what crap.

What is the point of producing heavier and heavier developments in glass which bear little relationship to the weight of the camera body... All in the name of appearing 'PRO'.

Of course in the US and Japan this approach wins volume/market share. I am a Marketing man, man and boy - but it's sad.
Old 26th October 2017

Thanked 1,248 Times in 937 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Paul,
They are probably pricing it in expectation of further UK currency depreciation.
So when is your next business trip state-side?

Yea, that thought did cross my mind

Problem is though that it's not available until March next year in any case
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 26th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Like many others here, I fear Olympus is loosing the plot. Surely the whole point behind the M43 idea was to reduce weight/bulk while at the same time maintaining quality/functionality.

Even in the short time I have been a devotee, I have noticed, and not liked, the increased 'supping up' to a market that accounts for proportionally small volumes - 'Olympus Ambassadors', what crap.

What is the point of producing heavier and heavier developments in glass which bear little relationship to the weight of the camera body... All in the name of appearing 'PRO'.

Of course in the US and Japan this approach wins volume/market share. I am a Marketing man, man and boy - but it's sad.

I'm actually happy that Olympus are producing these lenses. The optical quality is just superb (see Robin Wong's review of the 45/1.2 here). Sure they're bigger than the older f1.8 lenses - but you know - those lenses still exist, are still in production and work just as well as they always have. This is about choice and evolution of the system. With the latest bodies and lenses there is little that an m43 camera could not achieve.

And in any case, what's the alternative? Should Olympus stop evolving the m43 system? Switch to FF maybe? If you don't grow and change then you die!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 26th October 2017

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Itís very apparent from the Olympus marketing material that these new lens are specifically aimed at professional (i.e. commercial) portrait and wedding photographers.
If Olympus manage to take market share from Canikon by this strategy, then it should prolong the life of the m43 system - to the benefit of all itís users.

These lenses weigh ~400g - which isnít at all unbalanced when used with the E-M1 bodies
Old 26th October 2017

Liked 125 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
It’s very apparent from the Olympus marketing material that these new lens are specifically aimed at professional (i.e. commercial) portrait and wedding photographers.
If Olympus manage to take market share from Canikon by this strategy, then it should prolong the life of the m43 system - to the benefit of all it’s users.

These lenses weigh ~400g - which isn’t at all unbalanced when used with the E-M1 bodies
Talking of evolution:
These next 12 months will be very interesting times with Nikon apparently working on the DF2 and Canon working on a full frame mirrorless. Will they produce game changers in an attempt to steal Olympus customers? Prob a different topic altogether.

Anyway back to lenses I'm probably thinking more like Rob , there will always be winners and losers. New pro lenses will hopefully see a flurry of original primes come up for sale.

If you had to pick one of the new pro primes and one only, which one would it be? 17mm?
Old 26th October 2017

Given how little money there is in professional photography these days and the comparatively small number of people there are doing it, I actually think that the "Pro" designation is just fancy branding. The number of enthusiasts must surely heavily outnumber the pros.

These lenses, and the more expensive bodies like the E-M1ii and Pen-F are a determined attempt by Olympus to move up-market. They're not alone of course - all the major players are doing exactly the same thing. It's the only place to go given the death of the point & shoot camera.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 26th October 2017

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:

You think that's bad, I decided to try a Domke camera bag after using Tenba Pro Pak bags for decades.

Amazon Canada wanted almost double what Amazon.com were charging for the Domke bags I was considering. It was significantly cheaper to pay shipping and import fees and buy it from Amazon.com.

Then to really annoy me Amazon.com had a used Domke F-2. But they won't ship a used bag to Canada but will ship a new one. I spent last Sunday evening first complaining to Amazon and then on live chat with an Amazon representative after being emailed to tell me that the bag could be shipped to Canada. After being on live chat for a while the representative admitted that the email was wrong and that they won't ship it to Canada.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 27th October 2017

Liked 185 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Hopefully there will be some who want the latest and best and will want to sell their almost latest and almost best to fund it, and we'll get a buyer's market in 1.8 primes. (Just as we've had a buyers' market for original E-M1 since the launch of the E-M1 II)
I've just watched a used Pana 15/1.7 (or, more grandiosely "Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH - black") on an online auction site go for £316, with no warranty and from a seller with little form. Bizarre given that brand new grey market copies are available for £339. Hopefully people upgrading to the new 1.2 primes and selling to fund them will create a glut of Oly 1.8 or Pana 1.7 primes and this lunacy will end, with benefits for those of us who can't afford or can't justify £1k lenses, however wonderful.

(Sorry for this slightly off topic digression; just hoping to find benefits for a wider group. :-) )
Old 27th October 2017

Liked 125 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You think that's bad, I decided to try a Domke camera bag after using Tenba Pro Pak bags for decades.

Amazon Canada wanted almost double what Amazon.com were charging for the Domke bags I was considering. It was significantly cheaper to pay shipping and import fees and buy it from Amazon.com.

Then to really annoy me Amazon.com had a used Domke F-2. But they won't ship a used bag to Canada but will ship a new one. I spent last Sunday evening first complaining to Amazon and then on live chat with an Amazon representative after being emailed to tell me that the bag could be shipped to Canada. After being on live chat for a while the representative admitted that the email was wrong and that they won't ship it to Canada.
If its available in UK and easy to ship to Canada let me know and I can always order/post it to u if its a viable option.
Old 27th October 2017

Liked 713 Times in 479 Posts

Gosh. We're an easy lot to please, aren't we.

Olympus announce the E-M10 Mk III and we moan "nothing in it for us, it's just entry-level stuff for the kids" etc.

They announce fast top-end lenses and we moan about that - "too expensive, chasing a non-existent pro market" etc.

What do we think they should do next? Relaunch the existing f/1.8 lenses and standard zooms in pink or something so we can moan that the colours don't match our eyes?

It is good that they are developing products on several different fronts. For sure, there are some gaps in the lens range which is would be nice to see covered - for example the longest compact lens is the 45/1.8, something like a 75mm f/3.5 would be a nice addition for those who like small and want something a bit longer. But in general I think it is healthy that they are fleshing out the system like this.

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gwyver (27th October 2017)
Old 27th October 2017

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
If its available in UK and easy to ship to Canada let me know and I can always order/post it to u if its a viable option.
Thanks timboo, I have already checked UK prices and they were similar to Canada prices. Even eBay offers were more than Amazon.com. I ended up ordering a Domke F-6 from Amazon.com.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 27th October 2017

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:

Producing PRO lenses does not make the system less portable.
Olympus will still sell the light lenses for those which want portability. The idea is to offer higher IQ to the Olympus users which are PRO and need sometimes more quality & flexibility. Yes, there people which need those PRO lenses. They are waiting for it.

And some users could use alternative both type of lenses : light and PRO.
Maybe there are people which in 90% of cases they are happy with the light lenses, but in 10% cases they need better quality and in those cases they do not mind to carry heavier lenses.
Old 27th October 2017

Liked 185 Times in 126 Posts

I expect they're smaller and lighter than the Canikon equivalents for full frae or APS-C anyway ...