Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 9th December 2015

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts
Re: Have you ar are you thinking of going mirrorless with Micro Four Thirds?

I prefer to be free from carrying a bag around. I just have a belt pack for a spare lens/batter/filter. The camera with one lens is on a shoulder sling.

Coming from an OM-2 and OM-4, seeing the huge size of DSLRs there was no way I was going to get one of those big, leave-at-home, clunkers!
Even the Olympus ones put me off. So when the PEN range gained an EVF cousin, the OM-D, that was my cue. And I'm even happier to upgrade to the smaller EM5ii. There is no way the EM1 and the add on EM5 grips should be bigger than my full frame OMs. Olympus are still lagging behind Sony and Panasonic for compactness.
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (9th December 2015)
Old 9th December 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Have you ar are you thinking of going mirrorless with Micro Four Thirds?

Having been fortunate to have access and use of most SLRs (including 7.62mm ) anything bigger and heavier than the OM4Ti was never really considered when DSLRs came along. I tried many, but only the E-500 through to E-620 felt like an improvement to the big & heavy.

I tried the first PEN but waited for the EPL-1 before committing to mirrorless. I kept it right through to the EPL-5 came out then went to the E-P5 for better control ergonomics.

As I can set the E-P5 and E-M1 to have very similar controls, they compliment each other perfectly.

I've never seen any advantage of having an OVF and for many of the type of shots I take live view boot is a huge advantage.

As MFT evolves into whatever it becomes, as long as the image quality is maintained or improved, I shall stay with the system.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th December 2015

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Have you or are you thinking of going mirrorless with Micro Four Thirds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have also posted this question on Four Thirds User.

[...]

How was your experience with Micro Four Thirds compared to your DSLR? What was the most challenging aspect of using Micro Four Thirds and what was your motivation in the first place?

Ian
E620 to EPM-2.
Move was okay...they are just kit

Challenges, well the 4/3 lenses were physically a little big and dont focus that well. VF-2 was no problem. Lost the illuminated buttons that was a bit of a problem for astro photography. Also the EVF took away dark adaptation.

Better low light ability was and still is my main reason to move
(which is why my stuck record has been asking Olympus for a camera that is basically a m4/3 Sony A7SII...one can hope)
Old 11th December 2015

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

I'm not sure what a m4/3 Sony AS7 would be, but a 4/3 ratio sensor with a FF lens would be much bigger and more useful than the current 3:2 full frame (panorama) sensor. There is a gap in the market for that.
Old 11th December 2015

Liked 122 Times in 53 Posts

I came from a Nikon d7000 a year ago. I had 5 or 6 lenses spread across 2 bags so wanted to rationalise as I always seemed to leave the lens I wanted at home. And the rucksack was damn heavy and cumbersome.

First off, I got an e-m10 with a 45 f1.8 and 14-42 just to try and I loved. It was tiny in comparison to the Nikon, focuses sooooo quickly - a revelation. After a few months, the opportunity to get an e-m1 came up so I changed...for a grand cost of 65 !

Then follows a few months of buying and selling lenses to see what suited me and I've ended with kit that fits in a sling ( for now )

Wish list ? Improved tracking without a doubt - I love to go drag racing so it's not really an issue with panning but for subjects that don't go in a straight line, I still miss the Nikon. Same also applies to the EVF - I prefer optical but I appreciate that there are pros and cons to both.

I also have an rx100 mk2 for when m43 isn't small enough
Old 11th December 2015

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts

I have a different route to share, having been an Olympus user for many years OM10 through to OM4. I went digital with E-20P then E-500 to E-5. With the E-5 I had 90-250, 35-100 etc so I was used to carrying reasonably heavy bag around.
I purchased a E-M5 selling it to buy E-M1 with promise of being able to use my 4/3rds lens. The move has not proved to be all I expected. As I shoot a lot of motorsport and aircraft the C-AF has been very disappointing as has the noise. I followed the many threads tried many settings but it still is poor on C-AF. All the 4/3rds lens have been sold along with the E-5.
I have gone in the opposite direction purchasing a Nikon D3s a Nikon 70-200, Sigma 24-105 & 120-300 mm F2.8. I have got the enjoyment back into my photography C-AF which is reliable and very good low light capability. I still have the E-M1 which is nice a light weight for when I go walking, but for motorsport or aircraft its the Nikon everytime now.

www.dncphotography.co.uk