Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 10th November 2009

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts
Adjusting Exposure time

Evening all,

Having seen some of the amazing pictures recently with flowing water and night shots etc. I am interested to find out how I adjust the exposure time on my E400?

Thanks
Tim
Old 10th November 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Adjusting Exposure time

There are many factors that contribute towards the time of an exposure, however if you just want to play with different exposure times then your best bet is to put your camera into `s` (Shutter Priority) & ajust the length of time using the thumb dial. I hope this helps...........if you need further explanation just ask!
Old 10th November 2009

Re: Adjusting Exposure time

Thanks!

I am a numpty!

I have always assumed thad the shutter speed was as slow as it would go when I got to 1". I never even attempted to scroll past it!

Thanks ever so much!

I have an image of a picture I would like to take I will now be able to try!

Thanks
Old 10th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have got a few reasonable results doing this (still learning myself) but I found an ND filter helps too. Sometimes when you cannot set the shutter speed long enough to give that lovely blurred water affect without the picture being over-exposed, using an ND filter allows you to get around this by limiting the light coming into your camera.

I'm sure if I have got this wrong or if there's more to say about this others, more experienced, will put me /us right.

Hope this helps

Graydon
Old 10th November 2009

Liked 59 Times in 27 Posts

On my recent trip to Blackpool I was experimenting with long exposures, and really enjoyed it, but those shots were after dusk, and they varied from hand held 1.4(?) seconds to 30 seconds.
As I enjoyed doing this long exposure, I think I'm going to have to get myself kitted out with the filters and have a bash at that.
The great bonus of digital is that when a shot doesnt go right, we havent wasted anything... delete the photo and try again...

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 10th November 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hi Timmy

As has been said in this thread... to create long exposure shots, all you need to do is put the camera in 'S' mode, and increase the shutter speed (exposure length). The thing is though, this isn't always possible; at night time this is fine because the light is low, but in daylight or when you are in brighter periods, you can only increase the shutter speed to a point where everything will then be over exposed because there is too much light hitting the sensor for too long.

If you want to take longer exposures in the daytime, you really need an ND filter. This is a filter placed over the lens that simply reduces the amount of light hitting the sensor and so, when in 'S' or 'M' mode, allows for longer exposure times. This is how you get those milky water shots, or smooth cloudy effects - at bright times during the middle of the day.

Shout if you need further explanation.

Old 10th November 2009

Liked 59 Times in 27 Posts

John... sorry to butt in on someone elses thread...

The ND filters, I've just been looking online,and there seem to be different sorts. ND 2, 4, 8, what do they mean, and which one(s) would I need to get the milky-water and daytime shots?

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 10th November 2009

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

Just let the camera organise things. Use aperture priority with a smallish f number, an ND4 or ND8 filter and most importantly a tripod and a remote release. Best to stick to times of the day when light levels are generally low if you want exposure times that are in excess of a couple of seconds.
Here's one I did back in the summer. f10 for 2.5 seconds with an ND8 (E-3 plus 11-22 @ 11mm). It has also been tone mapped in Photomatix.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Last edited by benvendetta; 10th November 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: alterations
Old 10th November 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
John... sorry to butt in on someone elses thread...

The ND filters, I've just been looking online,and there seem to be different sorts. ND 2, 4, 8, what do they mean, and which one(s) would I need to get the milky-water and daytime shots?
Hi Tracey

No probs...

The numbers represent the inverse of the amount of light allowed through. So... an ND 2 filter will allow one over two i.e. 1/2 the light through, and ND 4 will allow 1/4 of the light through, and an ND8 will allow 1/8th of the light through.

Have a look on this site for the Cokin ND 'P' filters, I got mine from there. These are square filters and fit in an adapter that attaches via a screw in system to your lens. You will need to buy the adapter for the size of the lens you wish to use the filters on, however, the filter holder will fit on an adapter for any size lens. So, if you bought a ring for 52mm, 64mm and 72mm fittings, the filter holder fits to each of these and you can then use the filters on any lenses of those sizes. A filter kit of all of these will set you back around 70 in which you'll get ND2, ND4, ND8 and a holder. You will need the rings in addition.

One exception... is the ND110 filter. This is a true 10-stop filter and reduces the amount of light getting through to the sensor by a massive full 10 stops. These can be used in the mid-day sun and will allow long exposures even in the brightest conditions. These filters are very expensive though, and are hard to come by. I am looking for one and expect to pay around 90 for the filter alone.

Shout if you need more info... sorry for the ramble... I've had more than a few glasses of the white stuff

Old 11th November 2009

Thank you all so much, superb info!

Thanks
Old 11th November 2009

Is this the kind of filters?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/58mm-Neutral-D...item3ef7ff2334

Tim
Old 11th November 2009

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Tim,

Those you link to are circular filters that screw into the filter thread on the lens. They tend to be more expensive than the Cokin system because they cost a bit more to manufacture. At 15 the ones you highlight are probably not a very good quality.

Try the following link to get a better idea of how the filters work. If you search on "Cokin P" on eBay there are lots to chose from.

http://www.cokin.fr/ico15-A.html

Nick
Old 11th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heres my first attempt earlier this year using an ND8 filter from 7dayshop

Old 11th November 2009

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

I bought mine at the Focus show at the NEC earlier this year.
www.premier-ink.co.uk
Seems fine to me (Kood brand).

Lovely waterfall image Cychwr.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 12th November 2009
ndl0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi Tracey

One exception... is the ND110 filter. This is a true 10-stop filter and reduces the amount of light getting through to the sensor by a massive full 10 stops. These can be used in the mid-day sun and will allow long exposures even in the brightest conditions. These filters are very expensive though, and are hard to come by. I am looking for one and expect to pay around 90 for the filter alone.
Not too hard to come by fotosense always seem to have stock, the B&W 110 67mm is currently selling at 51.49.
http://www.fotosense.co.uk/accessori...tersize=26&p=4

Hope this helps.