Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 10th May 2015

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,949 Times in 1,082 Posts
Re: #SickofPasswords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

But there is a very real weakness in the current system, which is entirely one-sided.

If I phone my bank I have to provide all sorts of personal and security information before they will even speak to me. Usually this is a combination of passwords, my date of birth, my mother's maiden name, my account number and a recent transaction on my account.

This I understand, but when I receive a call from the bank they cannot identify themselves. I recently received a call from Barclays concerning my business account. I asked the caller to identify herself but she couldn't. All she could say was that she was "from Barclays".

She asked me for my DOB 'for security reasons' which I gave her, and my account number and sort code; but when she asked for my mother's maiden name I asked her to give me a recent transaction from my account. She said she wasn't allowed to do that because of "data protection".

I politely hung up, (she was only trying to flog me a loan or something), but a relative, working in a busy accounts department received a call one Friday afternoon purporting to be from the bank's internet banking department asking for similar information, and took well over £ one million from their account!

To make matters worse, the bank was able to trace where the money went, but refused to give the Fraud Squad information about the account holder (on the grounds of, you've guessed it - data protection) until a warrant had been issued; by which time it was far too late.

It later transpired that the same criminal gang raided the accounts of more than a dozen businesses on the same day; all from the same bank.

But with a system like that how do you know who is genuine and who is a scammer?
Why would you give anyone cold calling any details at all? It doesn't matter who they as it is leaving you the client open to fraud & they expect you to do that? Tell them you will phone the usual number or go online to deal with the issue as you can't be sure they aren't a scammer & politely tell them goodbye & hang up. There are times if I spend a few times in a short time while out shopping that my credit card provider might ring me up to check that it is me doing the spending or text me, but they don't ask me all my security details just like a scammer would do!
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 10th May 2015

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Why would you give anyone cold calling any details at all? It doesn't matter who they as it is leaving you the client open to fraud & they expect you to do that? Tell them you will phone the usual number or go online to deal with the issue as you can't be sure they aren't a scammer & politely tell them goodbye & hang up. There are times if I spend a few times in a short time while out shopping that my credit card provider might ring me up to check that it is me doing the spending or text me, but they don't ask me all my security details just like a scammer would do!
Believe me Ross, the banks here do.

They will announce who they are, and then say "for security, please can you confirm ............"

But there is no way of checking who they are. That is the weakness.

The problem is, it has become so difficult for customers to actually speak to bank staff by telephone (i.e. complex telephone trees, long waiting times, passwords, account numbers and so forth) that they cannot be dealing with the hassle of putting the phone down and calling the bank back. It is a very real weakness in my view; all in the name of 'data protection'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (10th May 2015)
Old 10th May 2015

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

I am not sure what the answer is, maybe if everyone asked the caller for ID as suggested on here earlier, they might get the message.
Old 10th May 2015

Liked 167 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Believe me Ross, the banks here do.

They will announce who they are, and then say "for security, please can you confirm ............"

But there is no way of checking who they are. That is the weakness.

The problem is, it has become so difficult for customers to actually speak to bank staff by telephone (i.e. complex telephone trees, long waiting times, passwords, account numbers and so forth) that they cannot be dealing with the hassle of putting the phone down and calling the bank back. It is a very real weakness in my view; all in the name of 'data protection'.
Normally in the UK I'm asked to confirm my address.
It tends to go along the lines of;

Bank- for security purposes, would you please confirm your address?
Me- Certainly no problem
Bank- Would you confirm your address please?
Me- By all means, of course I will
Me- As I've said, I'll be happy to; you tell be what you think is my address and I'll confirm that you have it correct.
Bank- er I can't do that under the Data Protection Act.
Me- Why not, you called me, how do I know who you are?
Bank- I'm from the ----- bank
Me- How do I know that, you're number's come up as unavailable
etc etc.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 10th May 2015

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
Normally in the UK I'm asked to confirm my address.
It tends to go along the lines of;

Bank- for security purposes, would you please confirm your address?
Me- Certainly no problem
Me- By all means, of course I will
Me- As I've said, I'll be happy to; you tell be what you think is my address and I'll confirm that you have it correct.
Bank- er I can't do that under the Data Protection Act.
Me- Why not, you called me, how do I know who you are?
Bank- I'm from the ----- bank
Me- How do I know that, you're number's come up as unavailable
etc etc.
Yup.

It seems the Data Protection Act can be used for all manner of reasons, or just to be thoroughly anal on occasions.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th May 2015

Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts

I never give any details to anyone who calls, me god knows who they are. If a bank, credit card company etc calls me I always insist i'll call them back. This is actually trick we are told during anti-fraud training I get at work.

Passwords, work is just as bad. We need a password for Windows, HR system, online payslips, holiday booking system, training system, IT service system, timesheets but to name a few - each one has different set of rules for letter / number / special characters / capital letters - I spend more time re-setting passwords than doing any work.

E-620, 12-40 , 40-150 f4-5.6,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68406149@N08/
Old 11th May 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I have a simple solution for passwords, I have a constant component to which I add two or three characters from the site I'm visiting - easy way of having a different one for each. If a bank or similar 'phone me I always ask for a direct line number and phone them back on ANOTHER phone.
One thing that does really annoy me is having to re-type my email address, having had the same one for 20 years or more I remember it better than my name!

David
Old 11th May 2015

Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
One thing that does really annoy me is having to re-type my email address, having had the same one for 20 years or more I remember it better than my name!

David
That bugs me too.

In many cases iternet forms want it twice, the first allowing autofill (making a typo less likely) but the confirm e-mail then doesn't and has to be typed out long hand. This was a real pain signing up for mailing lists etc using my old work e-mail address 29 characters long! On completeion of the form the account is typically inactive untill you follow a link in the e-mail they send you which to my mind confirms the address perfectly well.

Most of these sites have no real need for security. If someone was able to post in my name on a forum the damage is unlikely to be significant