Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts
Frosty morning

After I took these, I decided to warm up by downloading the Lightroom 2 trial and getting to grips with the change in interface/workflow - which comes as a bit of a shock after Bridge, ACR & CS3.

Anyway, now it's starting to make sense and will make my usual pp workflow much more efficient, although there is obviously a huge amount of options & settings which need to be winkled-out - and the product documentation is rather minimalistic!

So here are a few shots from Lyme Park on Saturday morning whilst the sun on the moor tops was burning away the mist & frost.

Paddock Cottage

Pursefield Wood (above "Darcy's lake")

Pursefield Wood
Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: Frosty morning

Very nice indeed.

Number 2 is a difficult shot as it was taken into the sun.You have done very well with this.

Number 1 is my favorite though.

Well done.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 2nd December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

These are really good, Chris. You have coped with very challenging lighting and the results have great impact and presence. They are almost three dimensional.

I hope someone nominates one of these for our new Picture of the Day feature! (hint hint! )

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts

These are very nice.

I really like the tortured tree in two. It makes the picture so much more interesting and that combined with the light and frost this is my favourite.

well done on them all.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 2nd December 2008
grumpy69

Hi chris, very nice pics, no, 1 is the one for me but I don't know why, I just like the mood.
Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 873 Times in 287 Posts

Hi Chris -

Worth getting up for - a very nice series.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 2nd December 2008
Makonde

Fabulous shots. #1 and #2 for me. The angles and the light make them (well done with the angled view on #2)

We here in the grey damp South have no chance!
Old 2nd December 2008

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your very encouraging comments.

Regards,
Old 2nd December 2008
tlove

Wow - excellent photos!

No.1 and No.2 for me
Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Definitely ones I wish I had taken, beautiful. As Ian said, very challenging lighting well handled, brilliant.
I also like nos 1&2 the best,
Shirley
Old 2nd December 2008

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts

I'm with Makonde, Thea and Shirley. Nos. 1 & 2 are the two I prefer of this series but they're all three really good pictures, especially given the difficult lighting

But, my goodness, that looks cold

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 3rd December 2008
ndl0071

Well I'm with everyone else with Nos 1 & 2, but also like No 3 as well, great shots indeed.

I note that you have been using Bridge ACR & CS3, this is also my combination, I have also been wondering about Lightroom but you seem to be ahead of me where action is concerned, what are your initial impressions? What are the Pros/Cons? I realise that all these things are subjective but would be interested in your comments.

Old 3rd December 2008

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

For me the second is the best one - excellent exposure and lovely shadows. Nice sloping ground giving greater dynamics to the composition.
I would like to see a bit more of the tree (branches only at present) in the first one that could perhaps frame the image on the right side. At the moment something just doesn't seem right to me.
Just my opinion you understand.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to do some frosty shots myself over Christmas.

Dave
Old 3rd December 2008

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

I really love the lighting on No.1 my only worry is that I find the branches distracting. I wonder if without them and just against the sky whether the building would look even more monlithic. But then I like the Monolith look maybe it isn't to everyone's taste. Even so I'm jealous.

Jim
Old 3rd December 2008

Re: Frosty morning (LightRoom 2 initial comments)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
Well I'm with everyone else with Nos 1 & 2, but also like No 3 as well, great shots indeed.

I note that you have been using Bridge ACR & CS3, this is also my combination, I have also been wondering about Lightroom but you seem to be ahead of me where action is concerned, what are your initial impressions? What are the Pros/Cons? I realise that all these things are subjective but would be interested in your comments.

Hi Neil,
I've only been playing with Lightroom for 3 days, so the following comments are very much first impressions.
To scope my comments it may be worth saying that my workflow is to capture in RAW, do nearly all pp as global adjustments in ACR, and only use CS3 for such things as perspective adjustments & printing + Web & Slideshow creations using the built-in automation tools. I tend to only use layers for gradations and output sharpening for print. My image management app is Imatch, and I intend to stay with this because of the amount of previouslt catalogued photos - so I haven't bothered much with the LR catalogue stuff as yet.
Overall, for the kind of photography I do (mostly, landscapes, nature, & macro) it really does seem much easier/speedier to use than Bridge ACR & CS3.
At first you have to overcome the change in vocabulary, IMO there are many similar functions in Bridge and Lightroom which seem to have slightly different names (for no apparently good reason).
  • LR has many options and ways to tweak the settings to match your preferences, but in order to provide a simpler interface, access to these settings are hidden in a multiplicity ways (e.g. tiny clickable spots on the panels, or else by burrowing through layers of drop-downs in menus etc.). This is irritating at first because the access is non-intuitive and inconsistent, though I appreciate that once you're up and running and have found & changed the default settings to suit subsequent use becomes more streamlined.
  • I like the Print module - the preview is a decent size at last, there are lots of options for automatically adding captions (or other metadata) and 'nameplates' - though the very limited choice of print sharpening settings seems a bit feeble.
  • The Slideshow & Web modules are good - more comprehensive & useful options than the equivalent automation scripts in CS3. Every month I create and update a Web site with pictures from our hill-walking group. This task has become much easier. The slideshow creation process is handy, and it's easy to achieve a much more professional result - though you'll have to export this as a PDF slideshow for non-Lightroom users.
  • The Develop module does all the things you know from ACR4 and then adds local adjustments, which I'm starting to find really useful. Doing exposure gradations is very straightforward, as is using the brush tool (or at least it will be when I've become proficient at using a Wacom Pen & Tablet instead of a mouse!).
  • I find the crop tool rather unnerving, for two reasons - unlike ACR the image moves behind the crop, and given the extra load this places on your PC's graphics engine, it results in a more jerky motion whilst adjusting the crop position. This problem also applies when using the crop- straighten tool. I also miss the immediacy of seeing the cropped dimensions (as I usually try to maintain a 4/3 aspect ratio). However I think this constraint can be set in LR.
  • The Export tools for generating JPEGs etc are also more accessible and easier to use than the equivalent ACR Save functions.
  • The Library module is starting to become understandable - at first images seem to change from Thumbnail, to Zoom to Fit, and 100% almost at random, but I think thats just my clumsiness. I have started to find myself using Ratings & Labels in a much more systematic way than previously - which must be a good thing. I have yet to play with the image versioning, and need to think through how Imatch will cope with this.
  • Filename change on Import still doesn't provide enough options/scriptabilty to re-organise the standard Olympus filename structure into something more sensible as I would like - so I'll have to continue using Bulk Rename Utility as an additional workflow step.
  • One concern about adopting Lightroom is that as it gains future tweaks the XMP metadata structure might change and lose compatability with ACR4, thus making Smart_Objects in CS3 unusable.
I guess I should stop now - otherwise the LR trial license period will expire - and I've probably bored everyone to death with this ramble.

In conclusion, the more I use it the more I like Lightroom, and I expect I will shortly hit the plastic and turn the Trial version into a paid-for license.
Hope these comments make sense.