Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 20th July 2019

Liked 1,793 Times in 664 Posts
Extended Warranties

My body (sorry, camera body) has just got to the point that Olympus have kindly written to me with the opportunity to spend £100 on a 3 year extended warranty.

I am trying to decide whether to splurge out on the insurance policy...

What have you done or are going to do? (assuming your MKii is the same age as mine, or older).
Old 20th July 2019

Liked 81 Times in 55 Posts
Re: Extended Warranties

I never buy them. If they sell it for £100 then the chances are they have to pay out much less than £50 per warranty.
Also, this is a very well made and reliable camera.
The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 20th July 2019

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts

I bought my 40-150 f2.8 + MC-14 with a double discount after attending a workshop and got them for something over £900, plus a free additional (beyond Oly's) 3 year's warranty.

Got the same from them with my 300mm f4 when they had a 10%/£200 reduction with the same warranty.

Bargain prices + 5.5 years warranty are worth looking out for on expensive items.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidB For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 20th July 2019

Liked 551 Times in 191 Posts

I've taken the extended warranties on my cameras. I figure £33 a year is worth it. These are complex machines with plenty that can go wrong and could be expensive to fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bengeo For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 21st July 2019

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

I have it as well seems a fair price at £33 a year for peace of mind.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 21st July 2019

Liked 249 Times in 156 Posts

I had quite a lot of trouble with my E-M1 Mk.i so was very pleased to receive a 3-year extension as part of the deal when I bought my Mk.ii.

I sincerely hope that the Mk.ii incorporates lessons learned from the earlier version because I felt that the faults I experienced ruled the earlier camera out as a 'professional' tool (strap-lug failure, lens contacts, and shutter failure)
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 21st July 2019

Liked 1,642 Times in 810 Posts

If it has worked fine for 3 years it will probably carry on for another 3 or more. The only caveat I would make is if your mechanical shutter count is up to near the quoted max figure then maybe think about it.

Electronics just carry on they don't wear out. If you drop it or mistreat it then that's not covered by warranty anyway.

I remember 30 years ago shops were more interested in selling the extended warranty for washing machines and other home appliances than actually selling the product itself. My wife actually walked out of a shop after trying to buy a new washing machine and them insisting on her paying an extra amount for the extended warranty. They just would not sell it without the extra warranty; their loss.

She bought the same model elsewhere without extended warranty and it worked fine for about 5 years doing the washing for our family with two kids before the motor burnt out.

We then got a replacement again with the standard warranty.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 21st July 2019

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I had quite a lot of trouble with my E-M1 Mk.i so was very pleased to receive a 3-year extension as part of the deal when I bought my Mk.ii.

I sincerely hope that the Mk.ii incorporates lessons learned from the earlier version because I felt that the faults I experienced ruled the earlier camera out as a 'professional' tool (strap-lug failure, lens contacts, and shutter failure)
I agree with all your points. Both my EM1 Mk1ís have been to Portugal to have faults fixed (rear dial and rubber grip falling off). Given this experience I would buy the extra warranty for the Mk 2 should I ever decide to buy one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_R2 For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 21st July 2019

Liked 81 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_R2 View Post
I agree with all your points. Both my EM1 Mk1ís have been to Portugal to have faults fixed (rear dial and rubber grip falling off). Given this experience I would buy the extra warranty for the Mk 2 should I ever decide to buy one.
But they did learn. Since then both the Pen-F and the E-M1 II have proved extremely reliable. No dial problems, no strap lug problems, no power switch problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 21st July 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

It also depends on when the next model or version comes out and whether you will buy it or be tempted to buy the new one before the extended warranty on the previous version has run out. You must remember the the next version will have features and functions that you cannot live without :honest:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
TravelingChick (25th July 2019)
Old 21st July 2019

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

It all depends on whether you can afford the unlikely repair or not. There’s no doubt that selling the warranty is hugely profitable for them, which means it’s an overly expensive purchase for the expected value you would receive. Remember you’re more likely to be replacing a damaged E-M1.2 with a used one in the future rather than paying the repair costs as the prices keep dropping.

I’ve never paid for warranties, to the point of buying lots of grey market and used kit, and been okay with my out-of-pocket repair costs.

But only you can compare the cost of the warranty with the risk of the repair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bassman51 For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 22nd July 2019

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

I bought the extended warranty for both of our E-M1 II bodies.

Mine has been to Portugal twice to have the rubber grip repaired, Anita’s has not required a repair as yet.

Looking at the cost of repairs, I made the decision that the extended warranty was worth the additional cost.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 22nd July 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

One major advantage of the warranties is that it gets you the rapid turnround service from collection to shipment to repair centre and then directly back to the chosen return address be it your home / office / drop box.
If you are on your own you have to set up the shipment perhaps via a collection centre somewhere and then shipped to the service point.

The next issue will be after Brexit how will we be able to use the service centres in the EU without paying import duty and on the value of the goods or the value of the work carried out on the camera. A warranty will put the onus on the service provider to resolve these type of issues.
Walti (22nd July 2019)
Old 22nd July 2019

Liked 1,793 Times in 664 Posts

Thanks all for the comments...

Gives me food for thought over the next few weeks before I need to decide!
Old 22nd July 2019

Liked 86 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
One major advantage of the warranties is that it gets you the rapid turnround service from collection to shipment to repair centre and then directly back to the chosen return address be it your home / office / drop box.
If you are on your own you have to set up the shipment perhaps via a collection centre somewhere and then shipped to the service point.
I registered my EM1Mk2 and lenses with Olympus on the "My Olympus" site and have got the "PRO Service - Standard Plus" service level which was free. This allows me to register a repair on My Olympus. For my out of warranty 300mm F4 this has allowed me to register a repair and send if off with a pre-printed pre-paid label with tracked postage and just drop off at the Post Office. They quoted a fixed cost repair under £200 so I am happy to do this in the rare cases rather than pay the extended warranty on all the stuff I have. It is a personal choice really. I might think different depending on what happens with my lens though