Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 11th August 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Pushing Tri-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Nice work Steve!
Thank you Richard.
All I do is follow the light, click, develop, scan and display - it's very therapeutic. It's nice not to be in a rush.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (13th August 2018)
Old 15th August 2018

Doughnuts by -Steve Ricoh-
Tri-X EI 1600

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (20th August 2018), drmarkf (15th August 2018)
Old 16th August 2018

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Oh for those far off days! I seem to remember microphen at 1/8th strength with 8 times normal development time was OK for 3,200 ASA. This was with a Pentax SP2 and 50mm f1.8 used indoors.
In the digital era we have only just got to reliable 3,200 ASA so progress has not been quite as rapid as some would make out!
I regularly used such speeds for many years with very few failures and very acceptable grain, but of course is was 'only B and W.'

Ian
Old 16th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianinsuffolk View Post
Oh for those far off days! I seem to remember microphen at 1/8th strength with 8 times normal development time was OK for 3,200 ASA. This was with a Pentax SP2 and 50mm f1.8 used indoors.
In the digital era we have only just got to reliable 3,200 ASA so progress has not been quite as rapid as some would make out!
I regularly used such speeds for many years with very few failures and very acceptable grain, but of course is was 'only B and W.'

Ian
I push film primarily to squash the mid tones as much as possible, looking for blacks and whites in the subject.

Here's another (all from the same roll).

Steps by -Steve Ricoh-

on flickr
Naughty Nigel (16th August 2018)
Old 16th August 2018

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

A nice graphic effect, yes. If I remember correctly David Bailey used to like the "soot and whitewash" look.
Old 16th August 2018

Quote:
A nice graphic effect, yes. If I remember correctly David Bailey used to like the "soot and whitewash" look.
Thanks Richard.
I wasn't aware of David Bailey in this regard, but I'm a fan of Ralph Gibson and Bill Brandt, both of whom like the 'soot and whitewash'.
If you're interested in the work of Gibson I'd recommend his book Deus Ex Machina.

on flickr
Old 16th August 2018

Bailey's photographs of the Kray brothers and others are very high in contrast, I think to an extent it was fashionable in the 60s. Brandt certainly liked the look, yes. I've occasionally used it myself too. I'm off to the Ironbridge Gorge next week and I might take my OM-1n with me, or maybe my 35RC and really go back to basics .
Ricoh (16th August 2018)
Old 16th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianinsuffolk View Post
...In the digital era we have only just got to reliable 3,200 ASA so progress has not been quite as rapid as some would make out!

Ian
Yes, although at least one other Jap camera manufacturer has achieved much higher ISO, in fact I've heard it referred to as an ISO-less camera.

But, that's using ISO to achieve an acceptable exposure with minimal noise. Film photography is different. Here a lot of us push-develop for the aesthetics. I'm not trying to achieve a balanced tonal range unlike in digital. (I believe it's achievable in photoshop [wash my mouth out] using low pass and high pass filters. But why bother when film does it so much better?

on flickr
Old 16th August 2018

Quote:
Bailey's photographs of the Kray brothers and others are very high in contrast, I think to an extent it was fashionable in the 60s. Brandt certainly liked the look, yes. I've occasionally used it myself too. I'm off to the Ironbridge Gorge next week and I might take my OM-1n with me, or maybe my 35RC and really go back to basics .
I will look him up.

I'm looking forward to the results, Richard. I'm currently pushing a roll of HP5, but I'm a really slow photographer! As Saul Leiter said: "I'm in no particular hurry".

on flickr
Old 16th August 2018

I used always used to use the wonderful Agfa APX25 for landscapes etc, and boy does that stuff make you slow down. A tripod is pretty much essential with that, so now that I can't be bothered to carry one about anymore something a bit faster is better!

With digital it ought to be possible to replicate the look of pushed film using adjustments such as an extreme "S-curve", but I grant you that film grain is preferable to digital noise.
Old 16th August 2018

Quote:
I used always used to use the wonderful Agfa APX25 for landscapes etc, and boy does that stuff make you slow down. A tripod is pretty much essential with that, so now that I can't be bothered to carry one about anymore something a bit faster is better!

With digital it ought to be possible to replicate the look of pushed film using adjustments such as an extreme "S-curve", but I grant you that film grain is preferable to digital noise.
Still many great emulsions out there to be sampled. More than you think!

There's a photographer I follow. All B&W using digital. Love the way he destroys the mid tones. In his own words 'F**< the mid tones'.
Here's a link: https://www.zeitvertreib-pix.com/portfolio/misery/

on flickr
Old 16th August 2018

He's good, I like his "beast" category particularly . Attached is one I made earlier, on 35mm APX25. It's developed normally but printed very hard on Agfa Multicontrast Classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db_Tommy_s_Barn1.jpg (141.8 KB, 6 views)
Ricoh (16th August 2018)
Old 16th August 2018

That's very nice Richard

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Otto (16th August 2018)
Old 16th August 2018

Liked 2,518 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:

I have never tried the Agfa, but used to enjoy Kodachrome 25 when it was available. More recent photography with PanF was extremely disappointing with all of the photographs looking as if they had been taken in a snowstorm! I suspect some form of reticulation but the true reasons have never been properly explained. FP4 and HP5 processed during the same session (but with different development times) was spot on.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th August 2018

I generally used Kodachrome 64 for the increased speed with (to my eyes at least) negligible loss of quality. Both were lovely films though and much missed. I later changed to Fuji Velvia and Sensia. I think Cibachrome/Ilfochrome was matched to Kodachrome as I could never completely tune out the colour casts on prints made from Fuji slides.

I haven't used Pan F but it is not noted for "snow" so reticulation is probably the most likely cause. That said though modern films are very resistant to that. Perhaps it had been damaged in storage before you got it?