Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 22nd December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Re: HLD-4 power grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
I got mine yesterday.

It's not as good as the HLD-2 in my opinion, feels lighter, no rubber on the back for your thumb, it doesn't feel at all comfortable to me. It doesn't replicate the grip shape/button position of the camera at all. The other thing is that the tripod mount plate has no place for a Q/D plate lock pin yet the camera body has. I really don't like the dual BLM-1 set-up, if they needed to go for the Dual BLM-1 set-up then the grip should fit without removing the camera battery the way the Pentax K10D and some Nikon's do.

I'm glad I didn't pay 200 for it.

As an aside what type AA's do you recommended?

The instructions suggest Alkaline or Lithium, I put 6 brand new Duracell's in but I get a 'Battery warning' and camera lock-Up after every shot despite the Top LCD battery Indicator showing 'Full Charge'. Switching Off and On again resets it.
I notice how similar in layout the HLD-4 is to the Nikon MB-D200. Both are minimalist compared to the buttons-everywhere power grip for the Sony Alpha A700. I'm not sure either extreme is ideal, but I do feel HLD-4 improves the handling.

I've not tried AAs yet, but I would expect NiMHs rechargeables to produce the best performance.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 22nd December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but remember you can swap the AEL and Fn button functionality (sorry if someon already mentioned this).

Ian
Confirmed - this works fine with the grip. I'm beginning to think that the AEL and FN buttons might be better off reversed by default

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 22nd December 2007
emirpprime

Only just found out my grip arrived yesterday All this time wasted!

But also, while googling the lack of a serial number, I found mention on another forum that the backpacks will ship in January. No evidence, but apparently in one of those rare email responses from Oly. Lets hope its early Jan. Shame I won't have it for my new years trip as like many others my E3 is a squeeze in my old bag...

All the best,
Phil
Old 22nd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The amount of buttons in fine in my opinion but the positioning is all wrong. The grip should replicate exactly the camera grip otherwise it feels like a different camera. The shutter release on the grip is too close to the edge and the Fn/[---] buttons and Rear Command dial don't just sit right, I find I have to look for them whereas on the camera itself they can be operated instinctively.

I'll try rechargeables in it to see what happens but the AA problem is a known issue from what I've read.

Richard

p.s. Got my BLM-1 today, thanks again
Old 22nd December 2007
emirpprime

I agree with this. Having just attached it and had a play, the ergonomics just arn't up to the E3. There should be rubber on the thumb area (as mentioned elsewhere), and its too blocky - more like a 3rd party add on.

The grip also dictates a different way of holding the camera (not so bad, but not a good thing). I find without/using it in landscape I can support the camera by the grip, and at the same time use my right hand to change controls. However using the battery grip, I cannot, I have to support the camera with my left hand while changing controls. The grip on the HLD-4 just isn't as ergonomic.

I'm not knocking a freebee. But for £199 I would be a little dissapointed, it just isn't as good as the camera. However, it does allow for better portrait shooting, and better battery life (much appreciated with the drain, albeit auseful one, that is Live View).

Phil
Old 22nd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've just tried the grip with 6 freshly charged 2700mAh batteries, the rear LCD battery warning comes on as soon as I touch the shutter release.

Olympus need to get these things sorted, at this rate they'll be spending the next 4 years issuing 'Firmware Fixes'
Old 23rd December 2007

Liked 1,733 Times in 1,115 Posts

It's pretty bad if the grip won't take rechargeable AAs. For me, the ability to do so is a big plus - the fact that it doesn't being a big minus!

Jim Ford
Old 23rd December 2007
rich s

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
I've just tried the grip with 6 freshly charged 2700mAh batteries, the rear LCD battery warning comes on as soon as I touch the shutter release.

Olympus need to get these things sorted, at this rate they'll be spending the next 4 years issuing 'Firmware Fixes'

Just had the same result.
Touch the shutter button and "BATTERY EMPTY" comes up on the LCD.
Not good at all.
Old 23rd December 2007
PeterD

Does not sound to promising using the AA cartridge but at least the BLM 1 solution works well. Either single or dual BLM 1 works fine. At least those having trouble with the AA cartridge have a way forward until Oly fix the problem.

By the way, saw Uniross BLM -1 equivalents going for about 8 each. not bad eh!

PeterD
Old 23rd December 2007
emirpprime

Could the problem with AA variants be that the peak output of a fully charged set is lower than that of a BLM-1 so the device recognises it as a depleted BLM-1? Not that this helps solve it, but just as a matter of interest.
This certainly needs fixing.
Has anyone tried shooting with AAs? I mean sure the indicator shows low battery, but do you actually get any/many shots off? I mean, if you were to get 100 shots or even 50 it would still be a passable emergency solution, even with the annoyance of inaccurate battery warnings.

On another note, I've come to quite like the balance of the E3 with 12-60 and grip contrary to my expectations. With the 50-200 its great
Plus we will all look more professional If only we could paint the lenses white we would be set...
Phil
Old 23rd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
........ BLM 1 solution works well. Either single or dual BLM 1 works fine. At least those having trouble with the AA cartridge have a way forward until Oly fix the problem.

By the way, saw Uniross BLM -1 equivalents going for about 8 each. not bad eh!

PeterD
I didn't know it would work with just 1 BLM-1 but you're right, now that is good. I can live without the AA's but it would of course be useful in an emergency. I'm pretty sure I've read about problems using AA's as emergency batteries before but I can't remember exactly what.

I managed to get a bit more 'Grip' on the grip by using small round self adhesive puncture repair patches. They're like very thin foamy rubber/neoprene. I put one where my thumb sits and one down the battery door. Sorted
Old 23rd December 2007

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: HLD-4 power grip beware

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd put it here also in case anyone missed it.

All comments welcome

I went out for the day yesterday for the first time with the HLD-4 grip on the E3,I did not have a grip on the E1 and was sure it would not be for me.Once the grip is on the camera I found I realy like the balance and the weight was not a problem.
My question is that I took about 250 images when the camera told me low power,after about 5 more images it told me battery empty
Now I found that at the moment I am getting about 2oo images on the E3 before it tells me the power is low but I normally find I ca go on for about another 100/200 images without the grip.
I had two BLM-1 batteries in the grip and found if I removed the first battery the camera then told me I had a full charge!!

Has anyone had the same???

I would assume that both batteries are attached to some kind of resistor network and the one that has the highest charge would supply the power and it would flick over to the other when that output drops and hence giving an even use of the batteries.
Also I notice the is a small contact/switch on the inside of the battery compartment door that does not seem to do anything.

I know its early days with the grip but has anyone else had the same issue or do I have a problem??

All the best and happy Christmas

Andy
Old 23rd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't experienced that myself.

Funny isn't it that the compliant always levelled at the HLD-2 was that it needed a dedicated battery, the BLL-1. Reviewers and public alike were crying out for a grip that could use the same battery as the camera or like other camera brands use AA's. So Olympus provide exactly that and it has a multitude of problems.

If it ain't broken don't fix it
Old 23rd December 2007

Liked 1,733 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
If only we could paint the lenses white we would be set...
Phil
I've used 4 bottles of 'Snopake' correction fluid on mine. It now looks like a proper lens!
;^)

Jim Ford
Old 23rd December 2007
RSGodfrey

I am not an electrician or knowledgable in electronics, but the problem with the grip looks like a design and/or a manufacturing flaw.
Is anyone out there in a better position to diagnose the problem, and is it repairable?

Richard