Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 22nd February 2013

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts
Re: E7 and E-M7 rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
It depends on your usage whether you consider it up to the task or not. What constitutes a 'professional' system anyway?
I read of more and more professional photographers turning to m4/3rds in preference to their heavier mirror box cameras and lenses
Your logic is wrong.
Some proffessional photographers replaced their big cameras with IPHONES. Is this a proof that IPHONES are professional cameras ?

M4/3 can handle already some types of photography at professional level: indoor, portrait, landscape...etc. There are nice lenses like : 45 F/1.8, 75 F/1.8, 35-100mm...etc.
For other types of photography, you simply cannot find good lenses : macro, action, wildlife, sport.

So some people will find m4/3 as a good system for the type of photography they do, some others not (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ean View Post
Ah, but the more professional the system becomes, the higher the prices will be, not likely the other way around.
If I want a tele lens for m4/3, I have to choose between 75-300 and 100-300. Both lenses costs more than 500 Euro but the quality is "entry-level".

With 500 Eur, I bought an used 50-200 MK1 wich is much better than those two from m4/3.
Even if I cannot find an used 50-200, I prefere to spend 1000 Eur for a new one, instead of buying an entry-level lens with 500 Eur.

Yes some people can afford to spend easily 1000-2000 Eur for an lens. Olympus has to offer them a good lens for this buget.

Ok, we have the good lenses, but waiting for new cameras wich can use these lens.

I am describing only the current situation. Everything can change in the next 3 years. Maybe m4/3 will become an proffesional system and replace completely 4/3.
Old 22nd February 2013

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Here's a couple of action shots with the m4/3rds system.

Travelling towards me at a few hundred knots...

More quick action again towards the view point...

I don't disagree that it's not ideal for action but to dismiss it outright is a misjudgement. It is possible to use an OM-D for action and get good results.

And macro...not at problem at all

An example

There are two excellent native macro lenses in Oly 60 mm f/2.8 and Panny f/2.8 45 mm plus you can hook up pretty much what you like, the 50 f/2 or Sigma 150 f/2.8 plus an array of manual lenses.

Which brings me on to wildlife.. again with an adapter and a good old manual lens

BIF is more more a challenge agreed but again not impossible, there are some very nice examples recently by Brian1208 on this forum.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (23rd February 2013)
Old 22nd February 2013

Liked 1,344 Times in 801 Posts

+1 for Huw.

David M's Photoblog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Greytop (22nd February 2013), Pierre L (22nd February 2013)
Old 22nd February 2013

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Here's a couple of action shots with the m4/3rds system.
some very nice examples recently by Brian1208 on this forum.
Nobody pretended that is impossible to do good macro shots or BIFs with m4/3. In some conditions, you can do these kind of photos even with compact cameras.
Posting a few pics at 1024x768 does not proove anything.

If I go to shot BIFs with E-M5+75-300 and maybe miss 80% of the pics, this does not means it is the ideal system for BIFs, but I still can post some nice picture to the forum and showing that it is possible to do this with m4/3.

Regarding IQ, E-M5 + 75-300 does not have any chance to come closer to and DSRL + PRO lens, by example E-5+50-200 SWD or Canon 7D + 300 F/4.0.

I posted bellow an macro/close-up picture made with E-5 + 50-200. It was resized to 2048x1536, but if you want I can post 100% crop.
I have douts that E-M5 has a chance to focus on such an subject. Yes, it is an dragonfly in flight shoot with E-5 and automatic focus (S-AF).

Old 22nd February 2013

And to think, photographers had to learn to manually focus their lenses for decades before auto focus was invented.

David M's Photoblog
Old 22nd February 2013

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katran View Post
Nobody pretended that is impossible to do good macro shots or BIFs with m4/3. In some conditions, you can do these kind of photos even with compact cameras.
Posting a few pics at 1024x768 does not proove anything.
I'm not trying to belittle 4/3rds at all, I owned an E-5 with HG and SHG glass before moving to m4/3rds but I think you may have realised that
I'm just pointing out that reading of experience and actual experience are two different things.

Btw posting a sensible image size is forum protocol, no one wants to see an image disappearing off the screen

Quote:
Regarding IQ, E-M5 + 75-300 does not have any chance to come closer to and DSRL + PRO lens, by example E-5+50-200 SWD or Canon 7D + 300 F/4.0.
For birds in flight perhaps, however I have seen pretty sharp images from both the 75-300 and Panny 100-300 (remember I've owned a 50-200 SWD).
For other wildlife instances try some old quality manual focus glass (in my case the Tokina 300mm f/2.8) on your OM-D, it works very nicely and certainly out performs the 50-200 (in my experience)

Quote:
I posted bellow an macro/close-up picture made with E-5 + 50-200. It was resized to 2048x1536, but if you want I can post 100% crop.
I have douts that E-M5 has a chance to focus on such an subject. Yes, it is an dragonfly in flight shoot with E-5 and automatic focus (S-AF).
Very nice but not true macro, I have similar hoverfly shots with from my E-5 and Sigma 150.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 22nd February 2013

I had a manually focused shots of a Hover Fly hovering and a Common Swift in flight published 2 decades ago.

David M's Photoblog
Old 23rd February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I wish I had ! Wish I had an E-5 too

John
Likewise.

Regardless of the format used, some very impressive images posted up I for one am very envious.
As far as what makes a "professional" set up, I think this is largely dictated by what type of equipment the person paying the bill is expecting to see. From what I have seen of this most clients probably couldn't tell you exactly what camera or even which make was being used as long as it falls into the full frame few thousand pounds worth of kit bracket. Its just what they are used to seeing. If you were to turn up with a m4/3 it may raise a few eyebrows.
Old 23rd February 2013

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,174 Posts

I remember seeing magazine photos taken on the E410 that also looked great. I think it's more a case of the photographer being a professional, can use any camera or piece of equipment with great expertise (if they can't, then are they really a professional?).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 23rd February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that absolute image quality and functionality of the camera are not an issue any more that make the difference between professional and amateur equipment.
I think for professionals it is much more important that the equipment is reliable and durable. It has to perform every time all day long, day in day out under any circumstance that might occur.
Micro 4/3 still has to prove it's reliability over time. A long time. And that also includes customer support and availability.
In that light I think a conservative and predictable strategy of the manufacturer is not a bad thing. Olympus has not been doing a great job in that respect.....
Falk (24th February 2013)
Old 23rd February 2013

Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

I think for professionals it is much more important that the equipment is reliable and durable. It has to perform every time all day long, day in day out under any circumstance that might occur.
Micro 4/3 still has to prove it's reliability over time. A long time. And that also includes customer support and availability.
In that light I think a conservative and predictable strategy of the manufacturer is not a bad thing. Olympus has not been doing a great job in that respect.....
I applaud this answer.

In the areas where I would claim to be a professional level user (not in photography although I do shoot video and photographs as part of my commercial work - and I have worked with pro photographers for 20 years) this is entirely the way I do decide what tools I use - it is my business relying on their business - I cannot afford to be let down. Furthermore the manufacturer and supplier sets out to supply on that basis and deals with me properly - I can get repair, replacement and service but the product is well designed to fulfil a demanding task - not with built in system obsolescence or parts that fail early.

Over the years I have bought into several Olympus systems but they have all been consumer systems, even the ones where they have aimed it at specific interest groups. If they sell you a box and walk away that is unlikely to make a professional user happy.

- bought into Olympus with the OM system because they were recognised for macro and micro photography. That was then, and they walked away from me. I still have a copy of the booklet they produced with the amazing and comprehensive range of equipment which I only managed to buy a few items from. One macro (life-size) lens is not a macro system it is a lens.

- bought in to the E1 quite late and then the E3. Both were robust, well designed systems for consumers. I never tried to use them as a pro would but I suspect even they were not really backed by a robust pro support. And just when I was getting into the 4/3 system Olympus have decided something else is more attractive...

I have an EM5 because I wanted to test out the video whilst knowing it has none of the characteristics of pro gear. But then Olympus have never said it had.

I have the 100/300 lens and agree entirely with Katran. It is fun but it isn't what a serious wildlife photographer would want. If I have one chance of the shot I want (which is how it is) I would like that to be in focus. I spend a lot of time getting the chance to see interesting things in the wild. The chances are brief and not repeatable. I get enormously frustrated with using the EM5 yet can post you dozens of nice pictures which you would say are great. On the Internet that is easy but I prefer to tell it like it is.

If photography was my livelihood then the bar is a lot higher than that...

No doubt I will be told that I am wrong but I just wanted to applaud Kees and the truth.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Falk (24th February 2013)
Old 4th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Is there anyone still expecting an E-7? Certainly not me.
Do you mean there will be no Four Thirds 'solution' camera at all or that you aren't expecting a reflex mirror/pentaprism configuration E-7?

I have posted some reflections on this very topic over at FTU here:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...ad.php?t=12050

Ian

PS Olympus have promised a Four Thirds 'solution' and the latest rumours now point to it being a conventional DSLR.
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 4th March 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I would be happy with an SLT : 4/3rds lenses are much better price-per-quality than the Sony stuff and old minoltas, and inserting Sony C-AF would be a win.
Old 4th March 2013

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
Red face Re: E7 and E-M7 rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Do you mean there will be no Four Thirds 'solution' camera at all or that you aren't expecting a reflex mirror/pentaprism configuration E-7?

I have posted some reflections on this very topic over at FTU here:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...ad.php?t=12050

Ian

PS Olympus have promised a Four Thirds 'solution' and the latest rumours now point to it being a conventional DSLR.
I didn't believe that there would be a successor to the E-5 but that is until I visted 43 Rumors last week.............

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 5th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I didn't believe that there would be a successor to the E-5 but that is until I visted 43 Rumors last week.............
You haven't answered my question. I am interested to know if you don't believe Olympus will deliver a Four Thirds user solution (a bigger camera that will work properly with Four Thirds lenses) at all, or whether you are specifically referring to DSLR replacement of the E-5.

I'm interested as I am trying to gauge the current state of expectation among photographers and a you're pretty representative I think.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com