Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 13th October 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Alcatraz with a cap

Just the slight rise of Alcatraz is enough to get the water vapor to condense into cloud. The rectangular tower at the left is, I think, part of a water tower refurbish. Not normally there. The Bay Bridge is at right, showing old (damaged beyond repair in eighties in the last big quake) and new (not yet open).

The island behind Alcatraz is Treasure Island, made from the rubble of the 06 earthquake (?) for the World Fair of 1936 (?). Is attached to a gen-u-wine island to the right, Yerba Buena, which Bay Bridge traffic passes through via a tunnel.

Coit tower above the Aquatic Park, Bay Bridge in background. Oakland/Alameda shipyards distant.

Below, the megayacht Spirit slipping past the Coast Guard. I doubt the skipper was completely certain he wouldn't be boarded. The Coasties hold their cards close. The Spirit is available to rent, in case anyone is interested, for a third of a million euros per week.
The Coastie boats are perhaps more interesting, are designed to perform rescues inside the surf zone, and can roll completely under without harm (one hopes). I've seen them practicing inshore, is sort of terrifying, but they know what they're doing.
Old 13th October 2012

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,339 Posts
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,156 Posts
Re: Alcatraz with a cap

More B&W Stewart I definitely think it works well for these too. That little cloud is very strange.
Old 13th October 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I love the first three with the cloudy island, definitely a good choice in grey&white.

Thanks for the explanations too.
Old 13th October 2012

Liked 98 Times in 30 Posts

I like your B&W work suit the subject. The first shot catches my eye the most.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 14th October 2012
Topsyrm

I'm with Derek, that first shot is a real cracker.
Old 14th October 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks! If I were rich, I'd arrange for a photo meet-up at the bridge, tickets included (with some reservations, of course, as during past bridge birthday celebrations so many people arrive that the normal upward curve of the center span has flattened out. Add cameras to that weight and there might be trouble...)