Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 16th April 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Technical info required.

For an uninitiated person such as I, could somebody explain what makes a macro lens macro? I realise the configuration is designed to give minimum distortion at close focussing distances but is the magnification simply a factor of focal length and closest focussing distance and what is the formula for this?

I am asking this because there doesn't seem to be a direct correlation between magnification and the above two factors:

ED 35mm - cfd 14.5cm 1:1
ED 50mm - cfd 24.5cm 1:2
Sigma 150mm - cfd 38mm 1:1
Leica 14-150mm @150mm cfd 50cm 1:3.6

Please help me understand what's going on here.

Regards

David
Old 16th April 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,623 Times in 936 Posts
Re: Technical info required.

In the good ol days

A Macro Lens was able to produce an image the same size as the subject on the film (1:1)

Over the years the term "macro" has become linked more to close focus, for the marketing of cheap lenses.

Not sure that there is a formula for all this but as long as you can get a 1cm long subject to cover 1cm of the sensor/film then thats "Proppa" Macro

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...