Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 5th October 2019

Thanked 1,000 Times in 797 Posts
Liked 3,187 Times in 900 Posts
More Interest in M4/3 Recently?

I have noticed that recently there seems to be more interest in m4/3 equipment from users of other formats, especially from bird and wildlife photographers.

There have been quite a few threads on Dpreview recently asking about users' experiences with m4/3 and whether it is worth changing format. On Birdforum, too, there has been a lot of interest in m4/3, and especially Olympus, from birders who are getting tired of carrying their heavy full frame gear. I know 'Mik' from this forum has been getting involved in the discussions, so I wonder if he has noticed the same thing.

I met a very good local bird photographer who uses Canon gear while I was out yesterday and he asked me what camera I use. When I produced the E-M1 II and 300mm f4, he immediately knew all about it and told me that a well known Norfolk photographer, David Tipling, switched to Olympus last year and loves it. The birder I was talking to said that he was seriously thinking about making the same move to save some weight. This wouldn't have been the case a couple of years ago.

I don't think I am imagining this and would be interested to know if other users here have noticed the same thing. It would be great if even more photographers would be prepared to try m4/3 with an open mind, instead of dismissing it because of its small sensor.

Ron
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Angelica (5th October 2019), MJ224 (6th October 2019), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts
Re: More Interest in M4/3 Recently?

You are right i think, some of it is to do with aging birders

This guy has just changed after a heart attack
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/

We have Nikon driving the FX end the soon to be released Nikon Z50 crop sensor model is a joke.

Smaller sensors have improved so the need to crop from a bigger one is no longer that important.

One thing i think could hamper it is the lack of sub £1000 long lenses, i know why but a 400mm f6.3 should be fairly easy and cheap to make.

Stephan Daniel from Leica said on m4/3 rumors

ANSWER: Yes quite. I can not speak for Panasonic, of course. I do not know their plans either. But I can tell you that at the level of use, formats smaller than the 24 x 36 mm still have good days in front of them, with very strong assets in terms of size. This is why we also offer CL and TL in APS-C …
Moreover he feels good about the digital camera market as a whole:
“If we look at the market in the long term, the number of devices sold today is higher than the best times for film.
we are seeing growth, and even, very strong growth in 24 x 36 mm hybrid, and a decline in SLR cameras.
Even if the 24 x 36 mm is the fastest growing segment, I’m not sure it will sign the death of smaller formats such as APS-C and Micro 4/3. Because a 24 x 36 mm autofocus camera, be it SLR or hybrid, will necessarily be larger in terms of optics than a device using a smaller sensor.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Following User Says Thank You to mik For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (5th October 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Barr1e (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

IDK about other people, but I wanted to get into wildlife and BIF and I found my full frame Tamron 150-600mm lens with a Nikon DSLR just too heavy to wield let alone lug around with me... so here I am a keen MFT fan and with my Panasonic 100-400mm zoom lens on the way... hopefully!
Note: it's not to bad when the bird is walking... but when they start flapping those flappy bits and end up in the air... I just can't track them with a full frame!
griffljg (6th October 2019), MJ224 (6th October 2019), Olybirder (5th October 2019), Ross the fiddler (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
IDK about other people, but I wanted to get into wildlife and BIF and I found my full frame Tamron 150-600mm lens with a Nikon DSLR just too heavy to wield let alone lug around with me... so here I am a keen MFT fan and with my Panasonic 100-400mm zoom lens on the way... hopefully!
Note: it's not to bad when the bird is walking... but when they start flapping those flappy bits and end up in the air... I just can't track them with a full frame!

One thing that possible needs saying is if you are looking to do birds in flight with a mirrorless camera you will have a fairly steep learning curve using an EVF compered with an optical viewfinder.
With a bit of practice though it does fall into place, i started with an Panasonic GX8 and remember on occasion during the first few weeks thinking what have i done, then i pulled myself together and said you will do it, and i did.
Angelica (6th October 2019), Zuiko (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 359 Times in 149 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

One should normally avoid posting comparison photos but in view of the topic and that the comparison is with non MFT kit I thought this might encourage a switch.

OOC JPG resized for uploading. OMD EM1ii with 300/4 and MC20.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Angelica (6th October 2019), Ross the fiddler (5th October 2019)
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 970 Times in 372 Posts

Andy Rouse, https://www.andyrouse.co.uk, recently turned to Olympus, shooting with the X and 300mm Pro.
I must say that he does have a go at folk who knock smaller sensors.
Angelica (6th October 2019)
Wreckdiver (6th October 2019)
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 552 Times in 192 Posts

I'm seeing a lot more birders with m4/3 gear now. Others seem to be more aware of the format too. I think it helps that people like David Tipling and Andy Rouse have been promoting it. Although I'm sure Andy Rouse would get great images with a box camera ......
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 359 Times in 149 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I was in a hide at Lackford Lakes in late August and was surprised/pleased to see that two of the other three occupants had EM1x and 300/4. The fourth was lugging a great Canon lens around but I'd seen his wife on a previous occasion with an MFT camera.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 87 Times in 26 Posts

We just need an update for auto focus accuracy now , to blow them all away.
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 1,489 Times in 373 Posts

Tom Boyer explains in this video why he switched to Olympus. In all a very positive review of the m4/3 system used for bird photography.

As I travel quite a lot the weight (and to some degree the size as well) of the equipment is a clear advantage. All the gear you need fits in a camera rucksack and you are (almost) within the cabin baggage allowance.

My Gallery on 500px
Angelica (6th October 2019)
Old 6th October 2019

Thanked 1,000 Times in 797 Posts
Liked 3,187 Times in 900 Posts

A lot of the birders near me are into digiscoping. They already own nice Swarovski scopes and most of them seem to use m4/3 cameras as the (expensive) Swarovski adapters are readily available. The Panasonic G9 is probably the most popular choice but the Olympus E-Ms are also represented.

Ron
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
A lot of the birders near me are into digiscoping. They already own nice Swarovski scopes and most of them seem to use m4/3 cameras as the (expensive) Swarovski adapters are readily available.
Does anybody know how to calculate the equivalent telephoto lens focal length/aperture of a spotting scope? (Wonder if I could justify the cost of a Swarovski scope on the grounds it would be cheaper than an Oly 150 - 450mm).
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

I recently went on a macro course at Calumet. The course suppliers recommended Olympus, not least for in camera focus stacking.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that 5 (including myself) of the 8 participants used Olympus. The others were 1 Canon, 1 Nikon and Sony. Unusual to see Canon and Nikon users outnumbered and struggling.
The principal reason given for using Olympus was weight and portability. As mentioned above, older users not prepared to carry heavy loads.
The other 4 users were from Geordie land and their camera club had at least a dozen Oly users.
For out on the hills I would take the EM-1X with 12-100 fitted, 60mm F3.5 macro and 40-150 with 2x converter and I reckon that will cover 99.9% of what I would need. I use a Manfrotto explorer carbon fibre tripod for lightness and compactness although in camera and in lens image stabilisation probably renders the tripod a bit irrelevant.

Lots of toys.
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

HTML Code:
(Wonder if I could justify the cost of a Swarovski scope on the grounds it would be cheaper than an Oly 150 - 450mm).
I priced up a Swarovski scope adapter and the bits. Somewhere in the region of
£6000.

Lots of toys.
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts

When I saw this forthcoming local event only 12 miles from home( + free - my favourite price, so I'll be going, especially as it was suggested on imagespace there may be discounts on the day) at a nature reserve, I thought Oly were targetting birders, plus macro shooters https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/ev...ege-lakes.html Maybe they should get involved in RSPB optics days.

And as Vanguard will be there, I might try quizzing them about digiscoping. I think there was 2 ways when I looked into it, a camera adapter in lieu of eyepiece, or using a mount to hold the camera with a (wide angle?) lens close to a zoom eyepiece.
royd63uk (6th October 2019)