Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 5th October 2019
mik mik is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: grimsby
Posts: 858
Thanks: 94
Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
Likes: 378
Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts
4/3 50-200 f2.8

Does any one know if this lens (obviously with the correct adapter) will do pro-capture low on the EM1MK11, ime guessing it will do high but ime looking for a cheapish lens to do low.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 5th October 2019
Tordan58's Avatar
Tordan58 Tordan58 is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,346
Thanks: 304
Thanked 412 Times in 340 Posts
Likes: 416
Liked 1,494 Times in 373 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

Hi,

"Pro Capture low" should not be constrained by the choice of lens. What may take some time is the initial focus acquisition as it is a 4/3 lens, however, once focus has been acquired the camera should be able to fire at up to 60 fps. I suppose you mean in AF-S (or MF) mode.

I have that camera and lens (the SWD version) and could do a quick test.
__________________

My Gallery on 500px
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 5th October 2019
mik mik is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: grimsby
Posts: 858
Thanks: 94
Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
Likes: 378
Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
Hi,

"Pro Capture low" should not be constrained by the choice of lens. What may take some time is the initial focus acquisition as it is a 4/3 lens, however, once focus has been acquired the camera should be able to fire at up to 60 fps. I suppose you mean in AF-S (or MF) mode.

I have that camera and lens (the SWD version) and could do a quick test.

Thanks, pro-capture low is constrained by your lens,in the sense it will only work with Olympus lenses,so it must be something in the camera that decides which lenses to let it to work with, it would work in pro-capture high as that will work with Panasonic lenses.
I was looking for a lens that will work in the low setting using AF-C.
If you have time to check it for me i would appreciate it.


Thanks
mike
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 5th October 2019
Wildwood Wildwood is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: dfdsfsdf
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Likes: 64
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

What will limit the frame rate you're able to achieve is the performance of the lens iris. For fastest results shoot with the lens wide open.
__________________
Best wishes

Wildwood
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 5th October 2019
mik mik is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: grimsby
Posts: 858
Thanks: 94
Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
Likes: 378
Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
What will limit the frame rate you're able to achieve is the performance of the lens iris. For fastest results shoot with the lens wide open.

Thanks but the frame rate isnt the problem its will it work in low with this lens.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 5th October 2019
JohnGG JohnGG is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: S. E. London
Posts: 1,536
Thanks: 162
Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
Likes: 1,092
Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

I have the SWD version and the E-M1ii and have just tested, linking via the MMF-3 adaptor. It would appear that Pro-Capture L is not available, being grayed out, but Pro-Capture H is there to select. As an aside, I found that using the 50-200 SWD in continuous L was very slow until I thought to check the firmware on the lens. It needed updating and was much speedier once that had been done, although perhaps not as fast as a MFT lens.

Cheers,

JohnGG
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 5th October 2019
mik mik is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: grimsby
Posts: 858
Thanks: 94
Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
Likes: 378
Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGG View Post
I have the SWD version and the E-M1ii and have just tested, linking via the MMF-3 adaptor. It would appear that Pro-Capture L is not available, being grayed out, but Pro-Capture H is there to select. As an aside, I found that using the 50-200 SWD in continuous L was very slow until I thought to check the firmware on the lens. It needed updating and was much speedier once that had been done, although perhaps not as fast as a MFT lens.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Thanks for that, i can get high with my 100-400 i did use low a fair bit when i had my 40-150 but sold it and wanted to get back to it on the cheap
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 5th October 2019
peak4's Avatar
peak4 peak4 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Buxton, Derbyshire.
Posts: 1,727
Thanks: 131
Thanked 223 Times in 188 Posts
Likes: 220
Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

There's a list of Pro Capture lenses available part way down THIS PAGE

Essentially for Pro Capture Low, only Olympus mFT or fully manual lenses.
Presumably the latter work, as there is no delay in stopping down the aperture as it's fixed.
__________________
Best Regards
Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Melaka (6th October 2019), mik (6th October 2019)
  #9  
Old 6th October 2019
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 14,154
Thanks: 993
Thanked 765 Times in 710 Posts
Likes: 7,120
Liked 4,004 Times in 1,834 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
There's a list of Pro Capture lenses available part way down THIS PAGE

Essentially for Pro Capture Low, only Olympus mFT or fully manual lenses.
Presumably the latter work, as there is no delay in stopping down the aperture as it's fixed.
THIS PAGE is an excellent description of the focus and shutter functions of the latest firmware, it certainly clears up several of my queries...…...thanks for that...
__________________
Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 6th October 2019
Tordan58's Avatar
Tordan58 Tordan58 is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,346
Thanks: 304
Thanked 412 Times in 340 Posts
Likes: 416
Liked 1,494 Times in 373 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

I tested too and can confirm Pro Capture L is disabled.

Pro Capture H is enabled though so Pro Capture can be used when the distance to subject is static. (That's what I meant with AF-S in my first reply).

I also tested when stopping down and the camera cranked out frames at the same speed as when shooting fully open. The initial closure of the iris occurs when actuating the release shutter button.
__________________

My Gallery on 500px
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 6th October 2019
mik mik is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: grimsby
Posts: 858
Thanks: 94
Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
Likes: 378
Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts
Re: 4/3 50-200 f2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
I tested too and can confirm Pro Capture L is disabled.

Pro Capture H is enabled though so Pro Capture can be used when the distance to subject is static. (That's what I meant with AF-S in my first reply).

I also tested when stopping down and the camera cranked out frames at the same speed as when shooting fully open. The initial closure of the iris occurs when actuating the release shutter button.

Thanks, i do have situations when high in combination with my 100-400 will suffice but i found with the 40-150 when i had it on low came in handy, especialy for fastish birds flying towards me like this.
My guess would be this is from before i pressed the shutter button.



p6130091_42772256781_o by electric.mike, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:37 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger