Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 19th January 2009

Liked 709 Times in 378 Posts
Re: Olympus announces “Rev up your system” promotion

Too bad..you already bought into the system...and to those who have purchased extra lenses..you are in deeper.

That's what most companies think of. You have already taken the bait..Hook line and sinker. The current E-30's price is also not attractive to existing users.

All my garbage so far.
Old 19th January 2009

Liked 2,525 Times in 1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Too bad..you already bought into the system...and to those who have purchased extra lenses..you are in deeper.

That's what most companies think of. You have already taken the bait..Hook line and sinker. The current E-30's price is also not attractive to existing users.

........ unless your existing camera no longer meets your requirements, in which case a new E3 or E30 will look more attractive.

Perhaps Olympus is more forward (and backward) thinking than we realise, and is already adopting the post recession attitude of 'if it ain't broke, why replace it?'

My E1 did a perfectly good job when I bought it in 2004, and it continues to do a good job, so I won't be replacing it simply because the newer models have more pixels.

I firmly believe that we [consumers] need to get out of this mindset where everything is replaced/upgraded/renewed on an annual basis, and the manufacturers need to get used to this idea too.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 19th January 2009

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post

I already have an E system camera and several excellent lenses but I do NOT feel let down by either the current promotion on the E3 or the initial pricing of the E30. When I feel I need a better system I will just make a decision on the price Oly are then asking and decide if it is worth it. Until then I have an excellent camera that (as Nigel says) does exactly what I expected when I bought it.

What is really holding me up is the amount of choice available - would I get more fun out of an E30, an E3 plus ring flash, an E420 plus pancake or the yet unannounced microFT?

Roger
Old 19th January 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
........ unless your existing camera no longer meets your requirements, in which case a new E3 or E30 will look more attractive.

Perhaps Olympus is more forward (and backward) thinking than we realise, and is already adopting the post recession attitude of 'if it ain't broke, why replace it?'

My E1 did a perfectly good job when I bought it in 2004, and it continues to do a good job, so I won't be replacing it simply because the newer models have more pixels.

I firmly believe that we [consumers] need to get out of this mindset where everything is replaced/upgraded/renewed on an annual basis, and the manufacturers need to get used to this idea too.
I don't think many of us are in that mindset Nigel, where we feel the need to replace our kit each time new models are released. My point is that Oly and others only seem to want to attract new customers, and frequently announce interesting and attractive deals with the hope that they entice photographers to use Oly kit. There's nothing wrong with wanting to attract new customers, but Oly already have a dedicated following of users, and I am sure - with a commercial hat on - Oly could come up with deals to increase the sales of lenses and the like - but make them exclusively for current system owners. I'd be interested in purchasing more lenses if there were offers out there for me, but all the offers seem to focus on new customers rather than including existing customers.

Old 19th January 2009
E-P1 fan

Quote:
Perhaps Canon (and others) will now get the message that adding more and more pixels is not the answer?
Ever hopeful Nigel
Old 20th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I don't think many of us are in that mindset Nigel, where we feel the need to replace our kit each time new models are released. My point is that Oly and others only seem to want to attract new customers, and frequently announce interesting and attractive deals with the hope that they entice photographers to use Oly kit. There's nothing wrong with wanting to attract new customers, but Oly already have a dedicated following of users, and I am sure - with a commercial hat on - Oly could come up with deals to increase the sales of lenses and the like - but make them exclusively for current system owners. I'd be interested in purchasing more lenses if there were offers out there for me, but all the offers seem to focus on new customers rather than including existing customers.

I don't think that 'we' here on this forum are so afflicted with the curse of consumerism, but there are many in the CanNikon camps who are. In fairness to Olympus, I don't think they are particularly guilty of encouraging this kind of behavior, but the opposition seem to launch a new model almost every week, which must surely result in pointless and unnecessary upgrades.

I have always thought that Olympus appealed to a more mature market, where customers are more interested in photography than the hardware, but it may just be that they don’t have the firepower to launch a new camera as often as the competition.

I agree that it would be ‘nice’ if Olympus was to offer incentives to existing customers, but even if they could afford to do it, how would such as system be policed? For example, it would be difficult to offer the same discounts to all E-System users, so would we see fake E3 serial numbers being auctioned on Fleabay? And what would happen when Olympus realized that the same E1 customer had bought dozens of FL50’s and a hundred 50 ~ 200 mm zooms at discount?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 20th January 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Now we're into good debate!

I agree policing of this would be tremendously difficult, but nonetheless, it can be done. Many organisations run incentive campaigns for their current customers, and there's no reason why camera manufacturers should not be able to do the same for their client base.

You make valid points regarding fleabay and abuse of such incentive schemes; but part of the growth of a business needs to address these issues such that any systems (people/processes/technology) subsequently put in place to manage them take these issues into account.

Just as I am sure that the campaigns currently running will facilitate increased sales and the generation of additional revenue, then so will campaigns that are aimed at an existing client base. There is revenue to be generated from this niche; I'd buy more stuff if it were offered to me on the back of such a scheme run and managed by Olympus and I am sure others would too.

Old 20th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post

Just as I am sure that the campaigns currently running will facilitate increased sales and the generation of additional revenue, then so will campaigns that are aimed at an existing client base. There is revenue to be generated from this niche; I'd buy more stuff if it were offered to me on the back of such a scheme run and managed by Olympus and I am sure others would too.
So would I, but I don't know that it would bring the returns that Olympus needs.

Many other businesses offer incentives to new customers, including discounted car insurance, free handsets with mobile phone contracts and so on. As an existing customer I have often felt quite put out by these offers, but they are there for a reason - to get new customers into the fold.

So as much as I would like to feel 'appreciated' as a long term customer, I won't be holding my breath.

PS: Better still; how about offering special deals on original Zuiko lenses for us OM users.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 709 Times in 378 Posts

I would not mind if Olympus would offer say additional rebate or even a buy back policy..on the other hand, who would sell back or surrender their working camera?

I would love to have an E-30 but that body only price is putting me off. Maybe in a year, when olympus wakes up, and lower it's price, then I will have a 2nd look again...so for the meanwhile, It's still old faithful E-330 for me.

All my garbage so far.
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Just seen this

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_20879.htm
Old 22nd January 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,184 Times in 2,488 Posts
Liked 4,553 Times in 2,166 Posts

Quote:

PS: Better still; how about offering special deals on original Zuiko lenses for us OM users.
It's called e-bay!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau