Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 18th October 2013

Liked 1,328 Times in 625 Posts
Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

thanks David, its a shot of an print from an image I shot a few years back, hanging on my work-room wall but we still have our resident family of Chiffchaffs that overwinter each year down here in Dorset
Old 18th October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I'm in 2 minds whether to do a full reset or not now. I only had the one lock-up, but it took a few minutes for the camera to start refocussing properly after I took the battery out.

I "think" the IS is working OK, but you've put doubts in my head. I have made a note of most of my settings, and I've also saved them to Myset 1, in case that doesn't get erased!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 18th October 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
Thanks Stephen, I had an e-mail back from Chris saying that he has passed it up the line for the techies to consider what needs doing.

Had a short shoot before lunch using SAF, no lock-ups but it did confirm I've got an attack of the shakes, I was finding difficult to keep the darned thing still even on the monopod at times - bummer!

Still I've got a few decent shots out of it I think

I forgot to say, its good the Olympus Support seem to be taking this seriously, possibly thanks to the info we are collating here?
Try C-AF+Tr it worked for me and my shakes
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 18th October 2013

Matt @ SRS suggested 8Gb or 8Gb+ Extreme Pro 95MB/second and at least level 6 cards I have level 10 but not used these yet ... only old 30MB/second ... so MAYBE thats why I had a LOCKUP !

I think I read in the manual ... or Spec of the ONE that Level 6 cards and higher are best

Duh ! Maybe its us using old model camera cards ...

the ONE photo album
Old 19th October 2013
nbagno

I was directed to this post so thought I would add to the list. I've had 3 lockups in 2 days. Last two times the evf remained on, no images displayed that I can remember but none of the buttons did anything. Batter removal necessary. Only lens I use is the 300f2.8, I also have the Panasonic adapter.

I also have random issues with the lens aperture blades slamming open and closed at random times. I can't tell if anything triggers it, just sometimes the blade will start opening and closing at for a few seconds, then stop, then start up. I have also had the same opening and closing of the blades when I half press the shutter. Power cycle with the on off lever resets it, but it comes back.

I do not like the sounds of aperture blades opening and closing on my expensive lens. The EM-5 had the same issue with this lens. My E-3 and E-5 never did this, must me some weird mirrorless thing. Yea.
Old 19th October 2013

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbagno View Post

I do not like the sounds of aperture blades opening and closing on my expensive lens. The EM-5 had the same issue with this lens. My E-3 and E-5 never did this, must me some weird mirrorless thing. Yea.
Since this issue occurs with both m43 cameras it seems more likely that the problem is either your lens or m43 lens adapter. Perhaps some of the contacts on the adapter are dirty or misaligned?
Old 19th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
... I was using S-AF and C-AF def not SRLT.
What is SRLT please?
Old 19th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I wonder if Olympus could contact all their new EM1 customers that have registered the camera and do a survey to find out how serious or rare these lockups are? It might help locate the problems.
No professional photographer is going to be able to make a living by using solely Olympus cameras if they have a habit of locking up. They can't say to clients "sorry, can you come back later after the battery has been removed and its reset"
I am worried as I need to be confident in reliability of the camera. Should I be buying it now?
Old 19th October 2013
Alpha1

Quote:
Try C-AF+Tr it worked for me and my shakes
Nah, nothing better than a strong mug of black coffee Chevvy.....either that or the "hair of the dog"!!

It's a lot cheaper than buying all new cards!!

I always use class 10 cards of at least 16Gb and I have some at 32Gb. Jpeg fine plus Raw does tend to gobble up memory! However I would be surprised if the locking up problems are as a direct result unless really old cards were being used at the time.

My E-M1 has had very little use recently as a result of our Golden Wedding celebrations last Sunday at Highcliffe Castle (Son-in-law doing the photography with his E-M5!) and having house guests from various parts of the world staying with us!

However I did mention very early on suffering blurred images using my 75-300 (longer end) and with CAF+tr with Auto IBIS. Eventually "cured" by using IBIS1 and changing to the Panny 100-300 where it was sharp throughout the zoom range.(using IBIS rather than the lens stabiliser)

I shall now only take the Panny 100-300 to Namibia next week whereas I was hoping to take the smaller and lighter Oly 75-300. I shall also take the E-M5 as back-up with my Oly 9-18, Oly 60 macro and 14-150 as we tour the ever changing landscape.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (19th October 2013), Daveart (20th October 2013)
Old 19th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
Nah, nothing better than a strong mug of black coffee Chevvy.....either that or the "hair of the dog"!!

It's a lot cheaper than buying all new cards!!

I always use class 10 cards of at least 16Gb and I have some at 32Gb. Jpeg fine plus Raw does tend to gobble up memory! However I would be surprised if the locking up problems are as a direct result unless really old cards were being used at the time.

My E-M1 has had very little use recently as a result of our Golden Wedding celebrations last Sunday at Highcliffe Castle (Son-in-law doing the photography with his E-M5!) and having house guests from various parts of the world staying with us!

However I did mention very early on suffering blurred images using my 75-300 (longer end) and with CAF+tr with Auto IBIS. Eventually "cured" by using IBIS1 and changing to the Panny 100-300 where it was sharp throughout the zoom range.(using IBIS rather than the lens stabiliser)

I shall now only take the Panny 100-300 to Namibia next week whereas I was hoping to take the smaller and lighter Oly 75-300. I shall also take the E-M5 as back-up with my Oly 9-18, Oly 60 macro and 14-150 as we tour the ever changing landscape.
Dave wishing you a simply superb hols in Nam and looking forward to seeing the images Hilliers is still mainly in "the green" but maybe more "autumnal" in December for a catch up

the ONE photo album
Old 19th October 2013

Quote:
Dave wishing you a simply superb hols in Nam and looking forward to seeing the images Hilliers is still mainly in "the green" but maybe more "autumnal" in December for a catch up
I just sold a 100-300 and bought the mk 2 75-300 a couple of month ago.... All these problems are worrying! :-(
The Following User Liked This Post:
Xenon (19th October 2013)
Old 19th October 2013

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
I just sold a 100-300 and bought the mk 2 75-300 a couple of month ago.... All these problems are worrying! :-(
Agreed
I'm waiting for delivery, but watching closely to see how this develops.
Old 19th October 2013

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
Liked 2,227 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
I was directed to this post so thought I would add to the list. I've had 3 lockups in 2 days. Last two times the evf remained on, no images displayed that I can remember but none of the buttons did anything. Batter removal necessary. Only lens I use is the 300f2.8, I also have the Panasonic adapter.

I also have random issues with the lens aperture blades slamming open and closed at random times. I can't tell if anything triggers it, just sometimes the blade will start opening and closing at for a few seconds, then stop, then start up. I have also had the same opening and closing of the blades when I half press the shutter. Power cycle with the on off lever resets it, but it comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Since this issue occurs with both m43 cameras it seems more likely that the problem is either your lens or m43 lens adapter. Perhaps some of the contacts on the adapter are dirty or misaligned?
It might be connection issues but I think it is necessary for the camera to adjust the aperture blades for display purposes (to see an image at reasonable brightness) & any moving around changes the brightness of the subject & hence the movement of the blades.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 19th October 2013

I do suppose that with a lockup problem occurring "randomly" that the camera could be considered of not merchantable quality at the current time of purchase and refund would be an option open to anyone in this situation. A software issue might be easily resolved but at this stage a hardware mechanical issue might be harder to overcome in the short term or unpredictable in longevity of the camera.
A readiness of Olympus to perhaps offer a three year warranty or 100,000 actuations whichever comes first might reassure customers.
Westy (19th October 2013)
Old 19th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
A readiness of Olympus to perhaps offer a three year warranty or 100,000 actuations whichever comes first might reassure customers.
The warranty is 2 years as standard. Plus an additional 6 months if you register it for Service Plus.
jamsa (19th October 2013)